Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Making gas checks for an oversized shank?

Boolit Master

Making gas checks for an oversized shank?

I've been thinking about getting a Frechex III as my first check maker. I've got a 22 cal mold that has a oversized gas check shank, by a couple thou. Hornady and Blammers checks are too tight to fit on the boolit. Having never made any of my own gas checks, here is my question. Would I be able to use a thinner material to use on this particular boolit with the oversized shank? If this is possible, it would be a bonus to me to finally be able to use this particular mold.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Moderator Emeritus

I have several 22 molds. one mold is a Herters pointy. It has a larger shank, I didn't measure it, but puting a copper hornady check on is a chore for sure. My standard size FCIII 22 tool and .008 lith plate makes a check that is much easier to install. and installs on the other boolit styles I have as well. I'm not sure that the FCIII tool is making it larger, but I think the .008 lith plate will squeeze/stetch on easier. Once they are sized on, I can't pick them off with a finger nail.
    Maybe get some samples to try ?
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Now, I am not taking credit for this as I just read this on an another thread but for what it's worth:

Some members have been modifying a punch and I see no reason why a bolt turned down on the end would not suffice and opening the mouth of a hard to start gas check (the crimp on like Hornady). It will take a little time but the result may be worth the added step.

Best regards

Three 44s

Boolit Buddy

Smile flat nose punch for flaring gas checks

I too have been flaring gas checks with a flat nose punch modified with a taper to get the correct amount of flair. See photo.
    Notice the 7mm and .30 caliber punches are the same diameter, but have different tapers on the end of the punch.

I cut off part of the end of the 5/16" punch which I had been using as a gas check flaring tool for 7mm gas checks. This allowed the punch to go deeper into the cup of the gas check and flare the gas check slightly further. Now the gas check easily slips onto the gas check shank of Lyman #287405.

Used 5/16" punch a gas check flaring tool for .30 caliber gas checks. Now the gas check easily slips onto the gas check shank of Lyman #311465.

I cut off part of the end of a 1/2" center punch (Dascopro) to make a .45 caliber gas check flaring tool. These flaired gas checks fit Lyman #454485.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00058.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Why not just send Charlie 2-3 of your bullets and have him make you a tool to fit. He did that for me in 40 caliber long ago. I have a 401 Herter Magnum that required I size to .403/.4035. I have 4 molds and the shanks all vary slightly. Charlie made me a tool with 4 mandrels so that I could use different thickness of material, depending on the shank of my bullets. It has worked out very well.
    Try being informed instead of just opinionated.
    Sometimes it is better to just smile and walk away.

You can always tell a Handloader, by his unceasing quest for spent brass.

In Remembrance
    This is complicated for us old fellows. I use .008 litho plate for the fat 22's and .0092 Amerimax for the skinny ones. All in the same FCIII.

Boolit Master
    Sagebrush, I was thinking that would probably work, thanks for the tip.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison