Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eastwood Powder Impressions?

Eastwood Powder Impressions?

How does Eastwood powder compare to HF or PBTP powder? Is it equally as durable? Does it "dissolve" better than HF?

I see they have multiple price points. Has anyone compared results of their cheapest powder to the others?

TIA

Try this one. Powder365.com It's where I buy all my powder.

Quote Originally Posted by shaper View Post
    Try this one. Powder365.com It's where I buy all my powder.
    Which powder do you use? I see they have high temp and super durable powders in addition to their regular stuff. Which one(s) have you tested?

I use the Eastwood powder. It stays intact on a 44 bullet stuffed 6" into an elm block. I think it works pretty good. I spray it though. Works in the 454 full house loads also.
    Rich

Boolit Buddy
    I've used only china freight and Eastwood powder. Eastwood by a mile.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slohunter View Post
    I've used only china freight and Eastwood powder. Eastwood by a mile.
    slohunter, a little off topic... that bullet pic in your avatar is gorgeous. H&G 68?

Now back on topic... if just starting out with PC, no reason to not choose one of the powders from Smoke4320. There are others that work, but his are tried and true for our dry tumbling process.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master
    Like a lot of people, when I started out powder coating a few years ago Harbor Freight red was the first powder that I used. It didn't take long before I tried out better powders, and that can of HF powder went into the trash. Eastwood ford light blue is light-years better than Harbor freight. Also, Smoke4320 is listed in the sponsored vendors section above swappin & selling on this site. Smokes powders are great, and I've had really good luck with signal blue, flame red, and "bacon grease". I have some of his yellow/green but haven't used it yet. I'm sure that it will be just as good. Do yourself a favor and loose the HF powder.

Boolit Buddy
    I wrote the quoted comment about a month ago on another thread.

“Eastwood Hotcoat Powder Coat Full Gloss Clear. It shake n’ bakes great using only a red plastic Forgers coffee can. Around here our humidity stays pretty constant at around 40%, I get good coverage at that humidity.”

I have only tried this one powder. It wets out nicely. This is a TGIC powder and it has worked well for me. I get it on Amazon for a good price, but they are showing out of stock right now. Eastwood has it for sale in 8oz packages for $9.99 with free shipping, but not available in pounds. The full gloss is cheaper then the super gloss, 90% gloss vs 95% gloss.

Because it is clear coat you don’t see the tiny blemishes that are left by the wire baskets I use.

I’ve tried two baking methods, stood up on silicon and a single layer dumped into wire baskets. I see no difference in accuracy between the two methods.

JM

It works very well.

shake n bake triangle 5

Mrs. Santa just got me "medium green" and "vermillion"

she got them from AMAZON, but they arrived in an EASTWOOD box.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

prickett: Eastwood semi-gloss clear is the best covering powder I've used. I usually add a pinch of Cardinal Dark Blue or Forrest Green for a nice opaque color. Gp

Boolit Mold
    I bought the Squirrel gray powder from Eastwood on sale, from there it was shake and bake with very good success in both 9mm and 40cal bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    Since we are on the subject.....I also started with HF Red and nearly a full pound I just need to give away. It worked OK, especially if I double coated.

I then went with Smoke's powder, Carolina Blue, Flame Red, Clear and a friend wanted Traffic Orange. The clear is the best by far, sticks and covers very well, nice to work with. The orange I would not recommend.

Now my question which I have asked before. What brand of powder does Smoke sell? I have enough powder to last a looooong time but new colors interest me and I looked on Amazon to see what Eastwood colors they had. The prices were very good and many of the reviews had testimonies of people who used the powder to S&B lead bullets. Could Smokes powder actually be from Eastwood? I don't know, just asking.

I've seen a poster say he uses a Folgers plastic coffee can, and another poster say "triangle 5 " which is what Smoke 4320 PM ed me about what container he recommends . So does it really matter what container you us to "Shake & Bake" ie,bullets in a can, powder in the can, shake or but in a vibrator container, remove and place in a toaster oven .
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Buddy
    I have had no luck with Harbor Freight Red. I only use Smokes and Eastwood. Plastic containers very depending where you are. High humidity kills me here in eastern Va. You need the static for the powder to stick so I use black plastic BBs along with the powder and boolits in a round #5 container with a screw on lid in a vibratory tumbler. 10 mins and it's good to go. I also have a dehumidifier in the same room.

Boolit Master
    just about everything that Eastwood sells is top notch auto body and repair stuff, or at least that's the way it used to be vs harbor freight which sells the cheapest Chinese stuff there is. for example Eastwood sells Fairmount and Martin hammers and dollies, these are about the best there are anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jules View Post
    I have had no luck with Harbor Freight Red. I only use Smokes and Eastwood. Plastic containers very depending where you are. High humidity kills me here in eastern Va. You need the static for the powder to stick so I use black plastic BBs along with the powder and boolits in a round #5 container with a screw on lid in a vibratory tumbler. 10 mins and it's good to go. I also have a dehumidifier in the same room.
    Probably the same humidity I encountered in Quantico and now in Pensacola fl. All of MY activities are in a shop that is not heated or cooled.
    I'm still wondering about the triangles and the different numbers, I checked and I have bowls with triangles and a 2, and a pp , but no 5, Anyone know what the different numbers mean ??
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Banned
    Eastwood sells a high-quality powder [for spraying], that doesn't mean it will all work for ASBBDT

Sticking with their polyester and TGIC powder will increase the odds of you getting good results

Add darker colors and a higher gloss level and you're pretty much assured a powder that will work

Boolit Master
    The Eastwood Ford light blue and architectural bronze both work great for shake and bake. I bought one of their orange varieties (v-twin) and it didn’t coat worth a darn.
    Last edited by Elkins45; 01-02-2021 at 09:26 PM.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne S View Post
    Probably the same humidity I encountered in Quantico and now in Pensacola fl. All of MY activities are in a shop that is not heated or cooled.
    I'm still wondering about the triangles and the different numbers, I checked and I have bowls with triangles and a 2, and a pp , but no 5, Anyone know what the different numbers mean ??

I don't use them but most Cool Whip bowls are 5.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne S View Post
    There is this thing called the internet . . . Curious too, I looked it up. "The recycling numbers range from 1 to 7 and stand for different types of plastic" I sort of knew that, and certain recycling centers won't accept certain numbers. Some do if they are separated from the recycling for food, and the 'junk' goes into a separate are for picnic tables, parking stops, and Trex type boards.

As far as my personal 'shake and bake' containers are GladWare snap lid sandwich style, and come in a multi packs that I use in the humidity of the Pacific North West. It has already rained 3" today, more tomorrow. I'm less than a mile from the coast, and yet my various containers in the garage, along with the powder I use, none have gone bad. I do however, do my shaking inside and my baking in the garage, right near the back door with it cracked. I have never had my PC fail to stick. I have ESPCd here, but only on a sunny day. I can shake and bake anytime.

When I'm baking, I'm not in the garage. One good thing is, even when it raining, usually sideways from the south, the back door faces north. I can cast with my gear (think B&D workmate) straddling the rear threshold. It can blow or rain all it wants, I've got the radio on and am going to town with the Silver Stream!
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast