RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 38-55 & 38-56 sizing die - .3779"

38-55 & 38-56 sizing die - .3779"

I am new here and new to casting reloading.

I have a pair of Winchester 1894 - 38-55 rifles and a 1886 38-56 rifle.

I have an original Winchester bullet mold that casts somewhere in the .380+ diameter range.
    Nice bullet with a little perimeter flash.

I would like to use a Gas Check also.

I cannot seem to find a bullet sizer die for the typical .3779" diameter.

Anybody know if they are around, or can I make one?

Thanks
    I was wondering

Boolit Master
    Lyman makes one.
    It is . 379 dia. The Lyman part number is 2766498

or .378 dia. is 2766524
    EDG

Thank you friend!

Boolit Grand Master
    You do know that you need a mold that is cut for gas checks in order to use them, right? Your Winchester mold undoubtedly makes a plainbased bullet.

Robert

Boolit Master
    You are welcome Dan.
    You might like to know that your bullet might shoot very well if it is pan lubed and shot without sizing.
    In other words cast, lube and shoot - no sizing needed. It will certainly allow you to use your rifles until you get your sizer set up.

Quote Originally Posted by 1876dan View Post
    Thank you friend!
    EDG

Le Loup Solitaire
    I have an 86 that started life as a 38-56, but had to have it rebored to 45-70 because someone had ruined the chamber in trying to get a stuck case out with some sharp tools. But just for the record the 38/56 used the same bullet as the 38-55, a 255 grain multi-grooved bullet very similar to the Lyman 375248 (which is/was a trifle undersized as cast and often benefits from paperpatch a turn or two at the most. Some folks prefer the Lyman 375296 with a gas check-expensive unless you can make your own. Anyway I later acquired a couple of old Winchester molds (with wooden handles, marked 38-55-255 and they cast with WW at .379-.380; both identical and they shoot very well in my 38-55's, both 94's. I lube all grooves with old NRA formula 50/50 Alox-beeswax formula-shoot them unsized (pan-lubed). Powder is 3031, but several other powders can work well. I keep the MV in the 1200-1300 range and accuracy/grouping is decent at 100 yards. Lyman 375248 and the old Winchester molds do not use gas checks...frankly they are not needed at the MV's of black powder cartridges like 12-1300fps. Suggest that you dig up some info from the older Lyman manuals on what other powders can also work besides 3031 if you wish to use a different powder A bullet casting at .380-.381 or even .382 should fit just right in the 94's and sizing is really not needed unless you're after the lubing convenience. Pan lubing is slow in comparison to using a lubri-sizer, but that is your call. I also tried at one point 55 gr of black, but didn't like the cleaning of the rifle or the cases afterward. It shot well, but was messy. Good shooting. LLS