Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: .30 XCB wildcat, from scratch.

Boolit Grand Master

The real "magic" of the of the NOE 310-165-FN's design is when it is used in a 14" twist or perhaps a 16" twist at higher velocity. The .308W can easily accomplish that objective to 2600 fps +/-. The 30x57 (30 XCB) and perhaps the 30-06 are the likely candidates for the 2600 to 2900 fps objective.......but only with the slower 14 or 16" twist longer barrels.

Larry Gibson
    I really have to take issue with this statement Larry. My 30XCB has a 10 twist barrel 21" long, and I shoot 2600FPS all the time.
    It's really not hard if you know how to do it.
    LOL!

Attachment 116928
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 09-20-2014 at 10:29 AM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Love Life
    My 1 in 11.75 Schneider likes the NOE 30XCB boolit in 308. Very accurate so far.

Seems my theory on the quality of the parts in the build, and the quality of the build, are bearing fruit for me.

Detox- I can't wait to see your results in the 308 Winchester using this boolit.
    Last edited by Love Life; 09-20-2014 at 11:01 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    I really have to take issue with this statement Larry. My 30XCB has a 10 twist barrel 21" long, and I shoot 2600FPS all the time.
    LOL!

Attachment 116928
    Hey that's my Chrony! I hate it when my HiVel secrets get exposed.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    My 1 in 11.75 Schneider likes the NOE 30XCB boolit in 308. Very accurate so far.

Seems my theory on the quality of the parts in the build, and the quality of the build, are bearing fruit for me.

Detox- I can't wait to see your results in the 308 Winchester using this boolit.

Oh yes, an accurate bullet for sure and the NOE mould quality is unsurpassed! Certainly an excellent choice for accuracy at any velocity in .30 cals. However, the NOE 310-165-FN 30 XCB bullet was designed to be accurate and fast. You should push 2400 fps +/- with that twist with excellent accuracy.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

LOL!

Attachment 116928
    ROTFLMASO.......you guys are killin' me.......

Larry Gibson

Love Life
    I used BLC-2, IMR 4350, and IMR 4064 and just treat it like a Match king.

Next is H4831 SC.

Fun stuff.

Boolit Master
    I have a honest question as I follow this thread, Why a 30 caliber and not a 35? I don't want to drift this very good thread but at times that question comes up. I think I know the answer and it is to take 30 calibers as far as they can go with cast and that is fine with me as I have more 30's than 35's.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master

nekshot

The 35x57 was conceptualized the same time the 30x57 was. The 35x57 would use the 35 Whelen reamer and dies. The chamber would just be a "short chamber" and the dies (FL, NS and seating) would be shortened appropriately. I've already built 2 of them for friends using M91 Argentine Mauser actions. The are very fine cartridges. I used pre-threaded Shilen 16" twist barrels chambered in 35 Rem from Brownell's. I have one of my own but I just can't bring myself to rechamber from 35 Remington..........

Recoil, available barrels and match rules are the answers to your question.

The 30x57 was the choice because of the cast bullet weight. A 35 caliber cast bullet would require a 200+ gr bullet to equal the bearing surface and BC of the NOE 310-165. The goal was 2600 - 2900 fps or so and the recoil of a 200+ gr bullet gets substantial. Also the enertia of the heavier bullets at those higher velocities will cause other problems of maintaining the bullets balance during acceleration. While 35 cal barrels are available with 12, 14 and 16" twists they are of sporter weight. Match grade longer barrels are not readily available. Also most match rules, if one also is looking at competition, rule out 35 calibers.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Here's the two NOE 310-165 XCB 100 yard groups I fired with the 47 gr AA4350 load back to back yesterday in that wind. You can see the horizontal dispersion. That wind really ate me up at 200 and 300 yards but still holding 2 moa at 300 yards wasn't bad at all. Have some test loads with LeveRevolution and with RL 19 loaded ready to test. Have potential thunderstorms through Monday so maybe will test on Wednesday?

The aiming diamond is 5/8" square.

Larry Gibson

Attachment 116945Attachment 116943

Boolit Master
    thanks Larry for explaining that, sure makes sense now. One other question, do heavier barrels do better for this or is that to satisfy competition rules?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master

I might mention that there is an XCB rendition of the 35X57 currently in the works, and will be available in 2015. Other calibers are being considered as well.
    The 30XCB project is looking like it may be an overwhelming success.
    When I set out to create Malcolm Ballistic Tool, I had a desire to cater to the cast boolit crowd and build rifles specifically suited to shooting cast lead boolits. My entire system is dedicated to it. A nice bonus is that cast lead is such a strict schoolmaster that my rifles seem to do exceedingly well with jacketed bullets, and I hope the evidence of that will be forthcoming very soon.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 09-20-2014 at 04:10 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    thanks Larry for explaining that, sure makes sense now. One other question, do heavier barrels do better for this or is that to satisfy competition rules?
    Longer barrels do better if one is seeking the best accuracy at higher velocity. I recommend 26" as minimum. The longer Palma contour (3 different contour/weight) work well. For hunting a medium 26" sporter weight barrel with 14" twist should get you 2600+ fps for at least a 300 yard effective range.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    thanks for your replies Tim and Larry. Could a fella get a barrel chambered for 30 or 35 option and install it himself? With your specific mould to fit the reamer that would make a reasonable entrance into this avenue of shooting! I sure like the total packages Tim is turning out but funds for me is becoming more limited for shooting all the time.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Banned

I got to shoot mine today.
    I need another one,,,, one of my bullets cut a hole half a bullet width out of the group....err hole in the paper.
    first 5 shots on paper and done.

the load??
    50 grs of h-4895 lit off with a fed-210 primer, under the speer 125gr hollow point blitz bullet stroking along at 3-k.
    step one took all of 3 hours to accomplish, including mounting the old well used 4x12 leopold scope, and loading some rounds of ammo.
    I got three new admirers of the cartridge [and your work] after they seen it shoot too.

ohhh super, super nice job on that trigger Tim...

LOL!

Attachment 116928
    A good chroni will tell you the velocity and if your gas checks are staying on. My chroni has a couple of gas check dings, but I think I have solved that problem.

These guys have a few Bartlein barrels in stock

http://www.bullets.com/search?s=bran...aliber:.30&o=1

Banned

I cheated a little and very slightly modified a book tested load.
    I used to know this old guy in salt lake back in the 80's, he was a pretty famous writer and gunsmith type dude, he taught me a few things.
    I can also call in a favor every now and then from a guy that started a little gun making business in freedom Wyoming, that has some knowledge on making up a load.
    Last edited by runfiverun; 09-20-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Glad you like it Lamar. I certainly tried to make it good for you.

Banned

you succeeded.

things just went right today.
    I found some rings on a short action one piece leupold base I didn't know I had.
    they just happened to hold the scope about 1/8th" off the barrel.
    I got the rings aligned without a tool.
    the scope went on straight up and down and the front to back was good first try.
    the cross hairs were almost dead on the dot except for the up and down when I eyeball sighted the rifle.
    the first shot was about 1-1/2" away from the dot on the target and I just went with it for the group.
    the site in to the dot took one more shot.
    I put three on the 300 yd steel pins with a dead on hold before putting the rifle away.

the guy next to me [jared] was spotting my target and after three shots he went quiet, then I heard him quietly say oh my on the 4th and then woa on the 5th.
    I went out to the truck to have a smoke and sent the boy down to get the target at the next stop in shooting.

he come back and said to jared I missed the whole target with most of my shots and he didn't want to come out to the truck and show me.
    Jared just started laughing, and told him he better bring me out the target.

Boolit Grand Master

1/2MOA is my expected accuracy for each of these rifles. So far so good.
    I honestly can't wait to hear what you can do with that rifle when you shoot cast in it.
    I wish Brad and Ian would give an update.

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast