Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Dan Wesson 357 Magnum, Back to life

Boolit Grand Master

Dan Wesson 357 Magnum, Back to life

I have posted quite a few of my "back to life" restorations on the forum. I describe the epic level of neglect/abuse that I had to work with, and then I show the pictures of the finished project. I have been encouraged by quite a few members to show pictures of what the firearm looked like before, as well as after. This never really set easy with me, as my whole objective is to cover what has been done, erase the damage, and make it look like I was never there if at all possible. I hate memorializing a horrible error in firearm care, but I do recognize the importance of comparing where the firearm started to what I have helped it become.
    In this case, Doc44 approached me back in the spring about restoring his Dan Wesson 357 Magnum which through no fault of his own, had become horribly damaged by rust. I accepted the challenge, but Doc44 also insisted that I post this restoration on the forum with whatever I am able to accomplish, and he also insisted on my posting "before" pictures, which I agreed to do.

So without further ado, here is the pictures of what I was presented with some months ago:
    Attachment 156544
    Attachment 156545

As you can see, the damage is extensive, and the rust had set in deep.
    I began this project by soaking the pistol in Kroil, and I kept it freshened over the months that it waited its turn for my attention. This allowed me to easily crack all the screws and the sideplate loose when the time came to carefully disassemble it.
    Once disassembly was complete, I began as I normally do, with stones and files, gently working the offending areas down to a common plane, and doing my best not to wipe out lettering and features, keeping the sharp things sharp, and the smooth things smooth. I try very hard to strike a compromise in all that I do when refinishing a firearm. My point of view is "I'm not supposed to be here, and what I am doing should be done with as much apology and respect as possible for the original maker of this gun." After all: damage to a firearm is an injury. A smith who damages it further in an attempt to correct the damage that was already done, is just an insult.
    Attachment 156546
    Attachment 156547
    Attachment 156548
    Once all the filing and stoning is complete, I work through progressively finer grits of abrasive paper with custom backers to bring the finish back up to par and to erase all evidence of my work. The final touch is applied with a buff using jewelers rough with extreme trepidation and care. Buffing is an extremely aggressive process, but I perform it with as much care and skill as I can muster. I never work tired, and I never allow myself to go too far, especially around the lettering.

Once the buffing is taken care of, the parts are carefully cleaned and then dipped in a boiling bath of soapy water followed by a rinse in clean boiling water, followed by the bath in the hot tank, which I take great care to properly manage the temperature and saturation of.

The results, I dare say, speak for themselves:
    Attachment 156551
    Attachment 156552
    Attachment 156553
    Attachment 156554
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Wow, love your work - almost makes me want to damage something just to see the restoral.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Wow, love your work - almost makes me want to damage something just to see the restoral.
    I offer to damage any member's firearm through much use so that they can then send it in to be brought back to life. Members wishing to take me up on this offer pay shipping to me, then Goodsteel, and provide ammo...

Seriously, Good work Tim!

Boolit Master
    Very nice job Tim
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice work Tim!

Boolit Master
    very nice and good explanation! Nice job!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Buddy
    That is beautiful! Makes me want to send in my old Turk Mauser for a make over.
    Jeff

Boolit Master

Beautiful.

I have an old Colt Officers Match .38 It is 98% light rust. No pitting, just solid brown almost no trace of blue.

I have thought about that for years but never had the nerve to start.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Nice work Goodsteel, the gods of blue steel are happy I'm sure.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master

I wish you were my neighbor so I could learn a thing or two. have a colt woodsman that belonged to my grandmother that is not as bad as that dan wesson but I would love to get it back to "as new" shape but I'm scared to do much with it.

Boolit Master
    Very nice work!

Says a lot about your level of patience and skill.

It's always a treat to see a Dan Wesson brought back to life like that.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    I wish you were my neighbor so I could learn a thing or two. have a colt woodsman that belonged to my grandmother that is not as bad as that dan wesson but I would love to get it back to "as new" shape but I'm scared to do much with it.
    I can help you with that when you get ready. USPS, UPS, and FedEx makes the whole world neighbors, and my FFL allows you to ship a firearm directly to me for service, and allows me to ship directly back to you.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 12-28-2015 at 08:39 AM.

Banned

wish you'd have said something.
    I would have lent you one of my DW barrel shrouds to give you an idea of what they look like when new.
    I have a NOS 357 barrel and shroud in the original Styrofoam package that hasn't ever been mounted you could have borrowed.

Boolit Master

A true artisan Tim!!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master

I hope to get one more shot of the pistol back in the case with the other barrels.

Moderator Emeritus

Nice work!

Boolit Master
    Tim:
    Very impressive! You are a skilled craftsman indeed, an artist, a credit to your profession.
    Uncle R.

Banner Sponsor

Excellent work Tim!!
    Just excellent

Absolutely amazing work!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    Excellent work Tim!!
    Just excellent
    I'll show you in person soon.