Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2728293031323334353637

Thread: .30 XCB wildcat, from scratch.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for posting some more up-dates! I'm glad you guys are still around.

Dave
    Psalm 18: 28-49
    Psalm 144: 1-8

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    Has anybody shot game with it yet?
    Taco, glad you're paying attention. Yes, a pig hunt with Carmen, the SR Mauser 30 XCB rifle, is on my short list of things to get done in August. Using the Accurate XCB bullet cast of either Lyman#2 or COWW+2% tin, loaded over my favorite duplex load of IMR4227/WC860. A friend's ranch a couple of hours north of here should give me the opportunity to make some shots in the 100-200 yard range.

Will post pictures when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjornb View Post
    Taco, glad you're paying attention.
    Yes Bjornb, I'm tuned in. I've actually been following this story from a distance since the original thread on it was only a couple pages old. Its not something I want because there's too many details to fuss over and I just don't have time for that. However, I enjoy watching the process and seeing what others can do to "push the envelope". I also find Tim's rifles to be the best combo of beauty and function made today!

Boolit Mold
    I would like to thank all of you who have worked on this project. Your work has opened my eyes to a exciting new aspect of this hobby. I do have a question, as I have found parts and pieces of this project in different locations around the net. Is there a list somewhere with links to all of it. I don't want to miss any of this project.

Boolit Master
    Bjornb,

Thanks for posting your targets. Your ES of 282 fps, 155 fps, & 352 fps appears to be high. Assuming all your mechanicals are correct, i.e. chambering, barreling, ammo assembly, etc., I would suspect your duplex powder mixture may be causing these high ES. The book, "Precision Shooting @1000 yds", lists data from Hodgdon & Hornady for typical temperature induced ES, i.e.:

308Win 70F to 125F Velocities approx 2700 fps

Varget (ES=8 fps), W748(ES=45 fps), R15(ES=10 fps), IMR4064(ES=11 fps)

Likewise, Hornady cites 308W data at approx 2600 fps with VV N-150 between 70F to 140F of ES=4 fps.

Maybe you need to vary your "kicker/base" duplex powder ratio (4227/WC860) to see if you can reduce this ES further. That would be a lot simpler than changing to different powders.

Again, thanks for sharing your targets with us.

Best regards,

CJR

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CJR View Post
    Bjornb,

Thanks for posting your targets. Your ES of 282 fps, 155 fps, & 352 fps appears to be high. Assuming all your mechanicals are correct, i.e. chambering, barreling, ammo assembly, etc., I would suspect your duplex powder mixture may be causing these high ES. The book, "Precision Shooting @1000 yds", lists data from Hodgdon & Hornady for typical temperature induced ES, i.e.:

308Win 70F to 125F Velocities approx 2700 fps

Varget (ES=8 fps), W748(ES=45 fps), R15(ES=10 fps), IMR4064(ES=11 fps)

Likewise, Hornady cites 308W data at approx 2600 fps with VV N-150 between 70F to 140F of ES=4 fps.

Maybe you need to vary your "kicker/base" duplex powder ratio (4227/WC860) to see if you can reduce this ES further. That would be a lot simpler than changing to different powders.

Again, thanks for sharing your targets with us.

Best regards,

CJR
    Hello CJR,
    The above groups were not shot using duplexing. They were all shot using Leverevolution, and the last group was a ladder test that was terminated due to excessively hard bolt lift.

I have done quite a bit of duplex experimentation this summer, and the 4227/WC860 combo has given good accuracy, with speeds comparable to straight WC867. Very little chronographing has been done as I was testing these loads in my SR Mauser hunting rifle. Normal groups have been 1.5-2 MOA.

Boolit Master
    Bjornb,

Thanks for recalibrating me! I'm surprised that the ES with Leverevolution were so high.

Best regards,

CJR

Boolit Master
    some how I stumbled on this thread, forgot what i was really looking for, just know I shoot more cast over the last two days than most of the summer and looking for an answer and couldn't stop reading. Stayed up way later than any other night and couldn't wait to finish reading today! Just finished all 37pgs, now to find all other threads related and start dreaming.

Good Job to all, I have enjoyed this.
    DWD

Boolit Buddy
    Here are my success notes from the bullet design, thank you for all those that shared this.

Was looking around for a inexpensive .308 heavy barrel rifle strictly for lead alloy bullets and purchased a Savage Axis. Was surprised to learn Savage had a 22' heavy barrel. Installed an after market trigger spring to reduce the trigger pull, changed the stock over to a Boyd's and then fired lapped the barrel. It had a $50 rebate also.

Stumbled upon the .30 XCB Project and after reading all the posts I thought I would try a NOE .30 XCB 4 cavity brass mold. Mold is first class, money well spent. Check NOE out when you have a chance. Weight in LT alloy running 158.7 grains.

Here are the details: Casting with Linotype alloy, sizing to .310", Hornady gas check, BAC Lube Special Blend, Winchester large rifle primers, AA2230 powder, and 1974 wooden bullet blank brass form Cheaper Than Dirt 20 + years ago.

I have set the sizing die set for head space just touching off the shoulder and seat the bullet to just cover the lube grooves. Also using the Lyman "M" die. Velocity - no chony but based on drop out to 200 yards 2100-2300 F.P.S.

Best 5 shot group at 100 yards measuring 1.117". Weight sorting the bullets is a must. Several 50 yard groups that can be covered with a quarter.

Rifling note - twist of 1 in 10" not creating any issues. .30 XCB group was concerned about the spin rate. Lower velocity so far is great. Optics are a Leupold VX1 4x12.

Shot 300 over the summer and what a pleasant experience. Low cost investment, great accuracy and bullets that are available all year-a-round. Loading several hundred for 2016. Again. appreciate all the research, time and effort that many of you put into the project and for sharing the end result.

Boolit Master
    mfraser264, have you tried annealing your gas checks? It can make a big difference that you will notice during sizing and also on the target.

Boolit Grand Master

mfraser264

Good post and I too wish to thank you for the clearly put "estimated" velocity. That kind of accuracy is entirely possible with a 10" twist .308W with a properly designed bullet. You might check the NOE forum as I've posted there some HV loads I did with my own 10" twist .309W and the 30 XCB bullet.

Couple questions?

What was your load of AA2230? I can easily duplicate it and chronograph it for you.

What were the group sizes at 200 yards?

Larry Gibson

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2728293031323334353637