Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: .30 XCB wildcat, from scratch.

Banned

never made moonshine [pshaw] I thought you went to colledge. calloge ...collage, school somewhere.
    and since we are speaking of lifting our trucks, I have been thinking of a 2" suspension lift, maybe a chrome roll cage with some lights on top, and a new set of winter tires, I think the mustang could easily be fit out to take it to work in the winter.
    then on the dodge pick-up I might do the same, only not the lights on the roll bar.. that's just kinda tacky.

Boolit Master

But you're gonna do air horns across the cab, right?!?
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Banned

It weighed almost 16.5 lbs. I had the stock filled a little with lead to weigh it down. That was without the scope and rail. It was in 308win. The barrel was really heavy. It started as a M40 contour from Rock Creek barrels. The shank was the large shank and it was straight for 12" before it started to taper down to 0.90"

Brownells sells the bolt handle but it is the smaller diameter one. You can get the larger one straight from Stockade Stocks. Thats Kevins business.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    never made moonshine [pshaw] I thought you went to colledge. calloge ...collage, school somewhere.
    and since we are speaking of lifting our trucks, I have been thinking of a 2" suspension lift, maybe a chrome roll cage with some lights on top, and a new set of winter tires, I think the mustang could easily be fit out to take it to work in the winter.
    then on the dodge pick-up I might do the same, only not the lights on the roll bar.. that's just kinda tacky.
    I could afford the good beer, Meister Brau!

My wife wants it known that she does not have a tramp stamp, has all her teeth, and no piercings in anyplace unfit to be seen by a minister.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Tim, check out Kevin Rayhills bolt handle for the Savage. Much better than the stock one.

Here is a pic of one on one of my rifles that Kevin put together for me.

Tommy, sorry I forgot to give kudos. Very clean looking rifle you've got there. Very strait.
    I'll look up Kevin Rayhill, and thanks for showing off his work. He's lucky to have friends like you.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Moderator Emeritus

Gee, you guys are sure tough on a guy (and/or his family) that just wants to make a flashy statement at the range. I remember the first time I took off my red plaid felt hat and put on the Cat Hat ! Flashy Baby !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

I do like the oversized bolt handle.

for some reason the take down bolt thingy on the savages has always freaked me out a little bit.

Banned

That handle and the bolt lift kit makes it so you can lift and cycle the bolt with one finger. Do a search for the lift kit and make one yourself. You use a 38 spec case and a ball bearing.

Boolit Grand Master

Goodsteel you get this rifle done now? Did you get to test fire it and any groups or data?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

As a matter of fact, I just got it screwed together. It's able to be shot right now.
    There were some blemishes on the butplate (mahogany) so I am refinishing it.
    I'm having the veins in my left leg lazered this Friday, and the doctor says I am to be off my feet for a week (pshaw!!!) so I am going to try to get out with it tomorrow evening, or Thursday.
    Lord I'm excited! This is going to be sweet.
    I weighted the butt of the stock with lead weights so it balances right over the rear of the receiver ring. All things considered, it's a very nice piece, and there are not too many details I am unhappy with.

Banned

Ok, we need pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    No, we don't need pics. I would prefer no pics actually.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    No, we don't need pics. I would prefer no pics actually.
    Very well. No pictures.
    Kind of bites though. That's all I was getting out of this deal was posting the pictures. (shrug)

Boolit Grand Master
    I will make a deal with you Tim. Take the photos. Have the rifle in my hands by Aug 1 and you can post them.

Deal?

Boolit Grand Master
    Just spoke to Tim. Rifle should ship next week baring any problems.

Woo hoo.

Boolit Master

Does this mean there will be pictures?
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master
    Photos will be taken. Posting is to be determined. Tim and I discussed that too.

Seeing that Tim and I are the only people with any real skin in this game those discussions will remain between the two of us.

Boolit Grand Master

The rifle belongs to the client, and it is completely his decision whether it is displayed and where. Brad and I had a very good discussion about this tonight, and we have an mutual understanding. Brad has his reasons for wanting his privacy, and I respect that. There is no bad blood here at all.
    Besides, I already showed the stippling, not much has changed since that picture. It's just shinier now LOL!
    There will be more rifles being posted in the future fellers. I've got two more rifles in the shop right now that are going to be chambered in 30 XCB, one of which is an absolutely amazing platform. There are a lot of members who are real serious about this cartridge.

Boolit Master

I'm glad to hear everything is good between you guys.

Brad, I can respect whatever you decide.

I know I've made some comments about it, but all in good fun...

Boolit Grand Master

I believe that most of the comments here have been intended as "all in good fun" but the fact of the matter is that a custom build requires an enormous outlay of money, even if you are only buying the parts. Brad let his family decide how this rifle is to look, and that has been made fun of "all in good fun". Any further comments about Brad's rifle or his families choice of colors will be deleted, as it has been taken personally by him here.
    There is nothing dishonorable about involving your family in a major purchase like this as it must have their blessing in order to go forward. To be laughed at for making a decision like that is understandably offensive.

Brad, I built this rifle for you and your family to enjoy. It's wild, it's eccentric, and it's going to shoot better than any other gun you own. I applaud the way you went about this, as well as your patience. I believe that it will be well worth it to you when you receive this rifle, and you will not be the only one in your home who is impressed.

Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast