Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: How do you cap your 1858 Remingtion?

How do you cap your 1858 Remingtion?

If not capping your 1858 Remington cap & ball revolver with your fingers, which capper do you use? Straight line capper? Selfmade capper?
    Anything similar to this: http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=4551483

I own a Uberti replica of a Remington 1858 and have ordered 2 Remington 1858 conversions from Uberti in .45 Colt, maybe will buy 2 percussion cylinders next year.

What capper do you recommend/are you using?

Kind regards from Bavaria
    Last edited by Bouv; 09-27-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Catego...207/1/CAPPER-P

Try one one of these.

Also - what are the regulations for owning and shooting a black powder pistol in Germany?

Geoff in Oregon
    Last edited by Gunor; 09-24-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Boolit Master

I use this one,
    http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Catego...1/CAPPER-REV-B
    I also use the one above, but, I prefer the curved one..

Perma-Banned

I prefer the curved one myself over the straight version. It however is personal preference.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    I use this one,
    http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Catego...1/CAPPER-REV-B
    I also use the one above, but, I prefer the curved one..
    Me too. I found it much handier than a straight-line capper for revolvers myself. It's $30 but it's worth it. Mine has 20+ years on it and is functioning perfectly and has a wonderful patina. A one-time investment if you don't lose it.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=3747

Boolit Master
    Me too, the Ted Cash snail capper.

Our guest from Bavaria may care to offer more detail, but contrary to popular belief, there is no ban on gun ownership in Germany. While there are a lot of hoops and oodles of paperwork to jump through, law abiding Germans can own and shoot black powder an modern firearms. The country has a very serious hunting tradition and vibrant shooting community. It's harder work to own a gun there than here but plenty do.

Boolit Buddy
    Just noticed the following in the description of the TDC capper at DGW:

"WILL NOT FIT REMINGTON REVOLVERS because of the high, rounded shoulders on the nipple recesses;..."

Thinking back, I could have sworn I used it on a Lyman-labeled Remington copy but it's been a while. I remember with certainty using it on my Ruger Old Army but may have sold/traded the Remington before I got this capper. Maybe they changed the design of the capper too since then but the notice in all caps is hard to ignore - at least the second time you read the description.

You could open up the area around the nipple like I did with a 3/8" ball end mill then any capper will work.
    Rogers and Spencer and Rugers cylinders are made with the big rounded openings around the nipples.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojelio View Post
    You could open up the area around the nipple like I did with a 3/8" ball end mill then any capper will work.....
    So, the snail type definitely did not work with yours before the modification? I moved my Remington replica so long ago that I cannot remember for sure now. I may have used a straight-line capper.

Also, that's quite a difference in price between DGW and Track of the Wolf. Didn't notice that on the first pass. Definitely worth the TOW price if it will work with one's Remington.

Boolit Master
    +1 on the Cash snail capper. I use it on my Navy Arms Deluxe Remington (Pietta) no problems.

Boolit Mold
    I use a straight capper, and find it quite conforable. Thankfully in Bavaria they have RWS 1075 caps that are a perfect fit for the Uberti's nipples.
    Grüß Gott
    Andrea

A straight line capper with at least one side of the tip having a thin steel spring works best. Cappers with all brass tips won't fit the nipple cutouts. Also it helps to grind back the lips of the springs to allow a better fit.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CappersTopView.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	82761Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CappersBottomView.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	82762

Note how I've ground away the spring lips on those with springs. The snail capper doesn't work on Remingtons without hogging out the nipple cutouts.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Thanks to all for the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunor View Post

Also - what are the regulations for owning and shooting a black powder pistol in Germany?

Geoff in Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by RPRNY View Post

Our guest from Bavaria may care to offer more detail, but contrary to popular belief, there is no ban on gun ownership in Germany. While there are a lot of hoops and oodles of paperwork to jump through, law abiding Germans can own and shoot black powder an modern firearms. The country has a very serious hunting tradition and vibrant shooting community. It's harder work to own a gun there than here but plenty do.
    I hope my explanation is understandable, my english is not perfect.
    For single shot muzzleloaders you must be 18 years old, no extra permission needed.
    For percussion revolvers, handguns and rifles:
    -absolute law-abiding
    -at least one year member of a admitted shooting society
    -at least one shooting practice per month or 18 in the year
    -for large caliber weapons from age of 18 - 25 years psychological examination, even for policemen and soldiers!
    -qualified training and examination in weaponry expertise
    -back ground checks
    -you can buy only 2 guns in 6 months
    -proposal for permission to buy a pistol/revolver/slide action shotgun/semi-auto rifle, repeating rifle without proposal for permission, no legal gun without permit
    -shooting only at approved shooting stands, transporting from home to the range and back only locked and ammo separate
    -extra permission to buy black powder/smokeless powder
    And as RPRNY said, a lot of paperwork!

Quote Originally Posted by Rojelio View Post
    You could open up the area around the nipple like I did with a 3/8" ball end mill then any capper will work.
    Rogers and Spencer and Rugers cylinders are made with the big rounded openings around the nipples.
    Have read about this in the internet, but want to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by andreadavide View Post
    I use a straight capper, and find it quite conforable. Thankfully in Bavaria they have RWS 1075 caps that are a perfect fit for the Uberti's nipples.
    Grüß Gott
    Andrea
    Think I will try a straight capper.
    Andrea, you say 'Grüß Gott' May I know, where are you from? Do you speak german?

Boolit Buddy
    Bouv,

I worked briefly on a project with a German, Erwin, Huber Step Screen for Sewer plants.

He mentioned that there was a 4 week long class for getting a fishing license. We were talking fishing and crabbing.

Sorry to be off the thread, but always interested on how other countries work (or don't).

Geoff in Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Gunor View Post
    Bouv,

I worked briefly on a project with a German, Erwin, Huber Step Screen for Sewer plants.

He mentioned that there was a 4 week long class for getting a fishing license. We were talking fishing and crabbing.

Sorry to be off the thread, but always interested on how other countries work (or don't).

Geoff in Oregon
    No need to be sorry! I agree with you, it is always interesting to get to know more of other countries.

My class for getting a fishing license takes 3 months (2 evenings every week). The german authorities are bean-counters

A class for a fishing licence????? Good grief, at least we haven't gone that far - yet! (I hope our pollytishuns don't hear about that one).

I have an Uberti Remington, and use the straight line capper from TOW. I also made my own, but it was that much work I won't do that again! Apparently the "snail" cappers won't work with the Uberti's unless they're modified as Rojelio said.