Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Velocity threshold for cast rifle boolits.

Boolit Grand Master

Mister, your "data" says more about you than it does about the boolit. If you ever need a place to sleep in Arkansas, there is no need to stay at a motel. We have a place for you right here.
    Clean hunt, and exemplary ethics!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Dan, I would say he was dead, and was just getting used to the idea.
    Another good example of "eat the hole" CB performance.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

He was still kicking weakly when I got to him and gasping for air. I put a mercy round down through the top of his spine to end his suffering. I absolutely refuse to let an animal endure one second more pain than is necessary. Had I known he was still alive after he fell, I would've shot again sooner.

I applaud you for that, Sir. Well done.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

Thanks for the accolades guys. Not looking for pats on the back. Just sharing what I'm learning. This is my 30th hunting season and my 15th using cast boolits, and my second year hunting with cast in a rifle caliber. EVERY critter I shoot teaches me something. I've been lucky enough to see an awful lot of stuff get shot with lead, and all I can conclude so far is that I still have a LOT to learn. Thanks for listening. Hopefully anyone reading this thread will see it's not black magic or blind luck. Just a few fundamentals applied with some decent marksmanship and shot selection, and even a dummy like me can do it!
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by DanWalker View Post
    ........and even a dummy like me can do it!
    You've given me hope!!

Dan,
    The picture of the hole by your left index finger was the entry?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rally View Post
    Dan,
    The picture of the hole by your left index finger was the entry?
    Yes sir.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

That's a great boolit. Thank you for sharing your experience with it.

The flat point might make a faster kill on a shoulder shot. I generally reserve hollow points for broadside shots. They really shine in that area. You did prove they will get the job done through a shoulder though.

It's been said as a critter bleeds out they go through a euphoric state as blood flow ceases to reach the brain. You did a fine job of curtailing any suffering.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Is it a fair assumption however, that long range (500 yards & more) is not achievable with high velocity from boolits?
    Gondwana

Never give up, no obstacle is invincible, there is always a way.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by gondwana View Post
    Is it a fair assumption however, that long range (500 yards & more) is not achievable with high velocity from boolits?
    IMHO, NOPE, It is most certainly achievable. But I must ask, what are you really asking ?

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Quote Originally Posted by gondwana View Post

Depends on the caliber and shooter. They've been using 45-70 with lead out to 1500+yds for a looonnnggg time. If you have a big enough piece of lead it really don't need to be moving super fast.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwbolts View Post
    IMHO, NOPE, It is most certainly achievable. But I must ask, what are you really asking ?

Ken
    Hi Ken. In essence, I don't want to open a "can of worms" and I am genuinely grateful for the help I receive from others on this board. However, since you asked: Can I replace all of my bullets with boolits? I think there are scenarios where one can outdo the other but I will defer to those with more boolit casting results on targets and game.
    Gondwana

Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post
    Depends on the caliber and shooter. They've been using 45-70 with lead out to 1500+yds for a looonnnggg time. If you have a big enough piece of lead it really don't need to be moving super fast.
    You are 100% right on freebullet and I cant wait to test that in my 45-70. However, with my eyesight 300 yards might be my best shot.
    Gondwana

+1 Dan. I had not considered boolits for my 308 rifle. You just got me motivated.
    Gondwana

Boolit Master

Good on ya sir! Can't wait to hear of your experiences with it!

Banned

your still gonna have some rules to follow.
    just like a 7mag doesn't 'perform' at 20 yards, your alloy may not 'perform' at 20 yards.

Dan,

The reason I asked about the entry hole, is that I'm working up a load for my .30-30. I'm using the NOE 311165 RG4 (RD original)with the cup point. I'm sizing at .311 and lubed with Bens Red plus some more beeswax. My alloy is 75% ccow-25% monotype, air cooled.I'm loading 24.0 grs of Reloder 7 at @1850. What I'm trying to do is develope a load that will work on deer and still be fairly fur friendly. I'm a trapper and carry this rifle during the deer season while tending traps. Most of my country is heavily wooded and a 100 yard shot would be a very rare event, with most being 50 yards or less. I want an alloy/bullet that will get a complete pass through with some nose expansion, but not violant expansion. That is why I'm using a hard alloy and just the cup point rather than the full hollow point pin.I hope to be doing some tests on beaver carcasses here shortly to get a better idea how well my bullet holds together and expansion rate.
    I had originally ordered my mould, in the RG4 brass, and was having a real hard time getting good bullets/fill. It was all my fault because I wasn't preheating it long enough and the pins take some heat to get them to fill without wrinkles. Then I put the flatpoint pins in and went to casting some decent bullets, but didn't like the little pin marks in the nose.I'm a bit of a perfectionist. So I ordered a FN5 in the new RD design with the larger meplat. While I was waiting for that to arrive, I called Al and had a conversation about the RG4 brass mould and managed to get it to cast beautiful bullets by just preheating it longer before I started casting. The pictures are of my testing yesterday. The first one is from the old RD design the second is the new design. I'd Pm'ed Ranchdog and he said that the older design would work better in my older Marlin (336SS), and it appears he is correct. Same load, 15 shots each target, 2" circle,50 yards. The new design requires it be seated deeper than the old design, in my rifle, to just clear the lands.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]136278[/ATTACHClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Puppies and Ranchdog targets 024.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	136279 I think I have a winner. I'm going to do alot more testing on both bullets, to see if I can get them both to shoot in this rifle. I'd like to use one for a cup point and the other for the larger meplat.
    I had some help with my shooting yesterday. I had my 14 yr old, 107 lb. lab, who thinks every shot means theres a bird to look for. He was walking back and forth on the front seat of the truck some while I was trying to shoot over the hood. If I let him run he thinks the impact on the side of the hill is a possible retrieve. LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Puppies and Ranchdog targets 025.jpg  
    Last edited by Rally; 04-08-2015 at 12:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You've given me hope!!
    Us cavemen gotta stick together ya know.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    He was still kicking weakly when I got to him and gasping for air. I put a mercy round down through the top of his spine to end his suffering. I absolutely refuse to let an animal endure one second more pain than is necessary. Had I known he was still alive after he fell, I would've shot again sooner.

I applaud you for that, Sir. Well done.

Larry Gibson
    Ya sure it wasn't dead? I shot a black tail deer years ago. Hit it through the back of the skull, about 200yd shot. When I got there, there was still a bit of movement but nothing was in it's head, cleaned it right out and still movement. I didn't re-shoot that one but had it been hit somewhere else, I might have.

rally, my dog, Daisy, does the same thing!!! but she is looking for squirrels!she is a terrier/something/pit mix of about 40lbs, but she beats up on our 100lb german shepard mix! just goes to show you, its the size of the heart, not the teeth.lol-Travis P.S. if you have some, id love to see a pic of those boolits!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast