MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast testing with the Wolverine starts tomorrow

Boolit Master
    Marvin: It is a diff. discipline but Steve Garbe, one of the best shooters out there using soft cast bullets, or semi-soft, in his shuetzen and bp rifles always talks about how much more accurate "choked" barrels are for him. Now I'm not in his league, and can't speak for him but if I understand him right, the pull through or patch gets tighter where his barrels narrow a bit, so I'll go with him and say that it's a good thing for cast bullet users.
    Does the harder alloy cause any problem seating the bullet into the barrel?

Boolit Grand Master

Out of curiosity, why would a choke adversely affect accuracy? I can see it reducing velocity if fairly tight but I can't imagine they are more than a few thou restriction anyway. If the boolit is sized concentrically as it goes through the choke then it should leave the muzzle centered and flying true.

If rifling twist is too slow for a long boolit I understand that but why a choke would create inaccuracy baffles me.

So, educate a dumb old guy... what is the problem with a choke and boolit shooting?

What about round balls through a choked barrel?

I am thinking about one of the lower cost guns and want to cast for it is why I ask. I certainly won't be in Wolverine price ranges!

Longbow

My 25 caliber Condor has a LW choked barrel with no lead cut in . But no bolt as well . The bullets are pressed into the barrel by hand . I use a tooth brush handle to press the bullets into the barrel . I have no problem as long as the bullets are no larger than groove diameter and the bhn is no more than 12 . 15 bhn and more effort than I like to use is needed . If a bolt action is used with no lead then a lot will depend on the tolerances of the bolt action and what it will take . My PB with the same barrel type with a poor quality bolt action will not take the bullet if it is much over land diameter . That is why at this time I size to land and allow the choke to do the sizing. But I have a idea to try when I get to it .
    The reason that a choked barrel can cause accuracy problems is they will lead up after a very few shoots with pure lead or very soft lead . As well as shear the lead to the base of the bullet which will cause a accuracy issue .I eliminated both of those problems when I went to 8-12 bhn lead in my Condor . With the bullets still sized to groove at the receiver and still going through the choke . I normally will shoot 120 shoots through it at the range and when I get home clean the barrel . I have not shoot RB through a choked barrel . But I would think that with the low contact area they have it should work . Most of my rifles are BB with non choked TJ barrel liners . Except for my Korean made rifles and they are non choked as well . The Koreans have a wide land very narrow shallow groove and 10- 12 bhn is about all they will take . But with my TJ barrels I can and do shoot up to 22 bhn with no lose of energy or accuracy when the bullets are sized correctly . I normally stop at groove diameter but I have never gone more than .001 over groove . There really is not much difference in casting for air than powder . Although some PB need the harder alloy were as with air once you get past 8-12 bhn there is really no benefit that I can think of off hand . I use it because I have so much of it in range lead free that it makes since for me to use it . Marvin

Boolit Grand Master

What weight boolits are you using in the Condor?

Wouldn't a light coat of lube solve the choke leading issue?

I'd be curious to know more about MT Chambers boolits and rifling twist too. I better reread. He seems to be getting good results with choked barrel as well.

I better not hijack the thread here. Just trying to learn what I can from guys who have done it.

Longbow

A light coat of lube will not solve the leading or at least it did not for me . I use spray dry moly or dry slide for a lube . Remember no heat to burn a soft lube away . It really is not a sin to alloy your lead for a air rifle and eliminate the leading problem as you would with a PB. I was casting a 52 grain bullet for my 25 calibers out of a RCBS mold . The bullet was accurate but the mold weighed way more than I liked for the use I give a mold . I now cast a 64 grain out of a LBT mold the picture in my avatar . Fly's at 850 fps on 3000 psi . And there are ways to make a choked barrel work with cast bullets if you pay attention to what you are doing . Marvin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12