MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Id this bullet.... I found on the range, it is huge... Pic

Id this bullet.... I found on the range, it is huge... Pic

Ok guys.. I regularly pick range bullets, and the other day, i came across this obviously military monster.. I am retired military, but have no idea what this thing is.. Got mesurements but no clue..... Here are the pics.. Be the first to id this chunk of brass.. The bullet that is used for comparison is a 300 gr 44 mag.... And it dwarfs it. We use a lot of big stuff up here for brown bear protection, but this is big even for us Alaskans....

Attachment 82669
    Attachment 82670
    Attachment 82671
    Attachment 82672
    Attachment 82673
    Attachment 82674
    Attachment 82675

Banned

Shotgun Slug?

Nope...... Dont think so... Bigger then a slug... Tomorow, i will post a pic comparing with a 12 ga slug

Boolit Master

Well, it's .58 Cal, obviously. I didn't see any rifling marks on the bullet, and it appears to be copper clad. The nose is not deformed, so, was it fired, or did someone lose it. Could it be a shotgun slug? Not a shotgun guy. And interesting mystery.

Boolit Master
    It is a slug of some sort as there are no rifling grooves on the bullet. I would say it is a sabbot slug of sorts. Maybe a 10 gauge if the 12 is too small?

Banned

"Maybe a 10 gauge if the 12 is too small?"

I still think it is a shotgun slug. For sure .58 Cal is not large for 12 gauge. Here is a 58 Cal boolit that dwarfs the one you found and 12 gauge slugs get bigger.

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=59-780B-D.png

How about this

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=73-900S-D.png
    Last edited by jmort; 09-24-2013 at 01:44 AM.

Boolit Master
    I also say shotgun slug, but can't tell you which one. However, I will say this. A 12ga is ABOUT .725-.730", and I use a .690" slug in a standard shotcup in mine. A 20ga is ABOUT .615-.625", and I use a .575" conical for a slug in it also using a standard shotcup. So if I had to guess, I would agree with the guys above who said sabot slug, due to the lack of rifling marks, and probably fired from a 20ga. As to the lack of deformation in the nose, I have a guess based on reading some of Elmer Keith's books that said he would fire a bullet into a snowbank, and then collect it after the snow thawed out in the spring and it would not be deformed. Like I said, I have no direct experience with this testing method myself being in Texas, but since you're in Alaska, I would bet you get enough snow on occasion to test Keith's method.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Buddy
    It looks like a Remmington Sabat Slug, Is it soild copper or lead copper, Weight ?
    I think Remmington makes a Soild Copper Sabot....
    Could be wrong been before (WAG)

Boolit Master

New style shotgun slug. About $18 - $20 for a box of five....ridiculous!

Boolit Buddy
    could be a shotgun slug or just as easily a projectile for a 58 cal muzzle loader like the 1863 Zouave.

http://relicman.com/weapons/zArchive...1863Zouave.htm

"Wartime manufacture, 1862 to 1865, this musket pattern is attributed to the "Zouaves", although the connection to any such unit is not proven. It incorporated many of the features of the Model 1841, yet was produced during a much later period and designed for .58 caliber from the beginning. Musket designed as single shot 58 cal. muzzleloader, brass contoured buttplate, brass patchbox, brass trigger guard, lockplate and hammer are similar to Model 1841, two leaf sight, two brass rounded bands are held with springs, two strap hooks affixed to trigger guard and forward band, small brass nose guard, lug on the nose for a saber bayonet, ramrod is tulip head with straight shank and threaded end, barrel is heavy and rifled for .58 cal. with 7 lands & grooves. "

Yea, that's the Remington copper solid slug. The little vanes inside the hollowpoint are the give away. They look as though slots were cut, then the nose given a twist, to make the little vanes. I took one out of a 20ga slug that had a bad primer recently. It was 45cal, 290gr for the 20ga. It'll go into a sabot for my 50cal muzzleloader.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    And it's pretty clearly NOT anything military either, being a hollow point, it would run afoul of the hague convention.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Banned

I find these all the time in my local range, a 12 ga uses a 58 cal slug mainly. And like others said they are EXPENSIVE

Are those for rifled shotgun barrels?
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    Yes, 303, for rifled barrels. I have fired a few through a smoothbore, and the accuracy was actually better with standard (and much cheaper) rifled slugs, but that was before I started loading my own shotgun slugs so maybe this design would be good in a smoothbore also for all I know.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master

I just finished some R&D on my 12 guage shotshell "slug" loads.
    I have been loading a .69 caliber conical musket bullet in my 12 guage hulls. I size them down to .677 and then drop them in a wad, over 38 grains od BlueDot. One hell of a stopper, just not too accurate. 9" group at fifty yards.
    I shot these in my 870, with a Hastings rifled barrel.
    Jack

Boolit Grand Master

Most 58 caliber muzzleloaders take a .570" or .575" projectile so it would have rifling marks on it if fired from one of them, so shotgun saboted slug makes sense.
    I use a 45 caliber pistol boolit in a sabot for my 58 caliber H&R Huntsman, early 1970s model.

Wow... Very nice.... Awsome job!!!

here's a double rifle that also might use that kind of bullet:
    http://www.hotkey.net.au/~orrs/GreenerStory.htm
    Thomas Paine:
    “To argue with a person who has denounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast