MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about an actual BP Paper Patch Thread----- KAL Moulds

Boolit Master

How about an actual BP Paper Patch Thread----- KAL Moulds

Hello,

When I got home from Raton Sunday found in the Mail Box a KAL Mould I bought, before I had left for Raton.

It seems to be an excellent made mould is my first Impression, I understand RCBS handles fit these KAL Moulds?

It is marked as such and is a .446 PP Mould. Other markings are DT ULD E850. And Rick signed it also.

Hope Rick can chime in here and let me know more about the mould looks very close to a Prolate Nose.

Kenny W.
    The Lunger

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Kenny I used Lyman and RCBS handles on the KAL blocks I had, but the best handles for those were KAL's own handles.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

In Remembrance
    RICH KALNUIK OF CANADA #DT-ULD-E850 CUSTOM CNC LATHE BORED .45 CALIBER 550 GRAIN .446" DIAMETER ULTRA LOW DRAG BPCR PAPER PATCH BULLET MOULD IN EXCELLENT CONDITION. EXTREMELY WELL-MADE, EASY CASTING, & VERY ACCURATE IN MY .45-70 & .45-90 BPCR RIFLES! I USED 8# PAPER FOR PATCHING TO A .451" PATCHED DIAMETER. LOADED TO A SHALLOW SEATING DEPTH TO PROVIDE FOR A VERY GOOD BULLET-TO-BORE ALIGNMENT CONDITION DURING CHAMBERING A ROUND.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1120
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

That mould was custom machined for Dan Theodore. There is only a couple of them out there, a few .45's and one .50 cal that is in Rick Mulhern's possesion.

DT = Dan Theodore (designer)
    ULD = Ultra Low Drag
    E = Eliptical
    850 = 0.850" is the length of the nose from the tip to the juncture point of the Ogive and shank.

BTW Kenny, did you forget this.................because I didn't:

"I can Buy My moulds in accordance too. Vote-voice your opinion, with your pocket book I say. I have a long Memory, of mould makers that Kick a fella after he made his amends."

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Master
    Charlie,

Pretty much knew that I got it from that EBay Add. Was hoping Rich would expand on it guess not thanks.
    Oh Now I see he did make a comment, cool, Nope had not forgot what I said, and like I said, you kicked me after I had made my amends.

I commented on the quality of the mould and was wanting to know more about it which you have now done so, thanks, another snide comment, re-enforces what I thought before don't it. Was hoping for an answer on the mould handles, and wanted to see the KAL Mould in person.

It looks Like I am going to regret buying the mould now.

KW
    Last edited by Kenny Wasserburger; 09-24-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Yup, more than one reason to sell a mould.

Boolit Master
    Aint it so Don.

This past year since Phoenix and more so since the Mile match, I get at least 1 email or PM a week asking about what Mould I am or was using, and At Raton this past weekend, had no less then 3 requests, one asking for a extra bullet after the match, IF! I had one to spare. I tell them all too not waste time or Money on moulds, that my Bullet the .446 Money version is made by BACO and to get one there.
    Mould makers are rare as hens teeth these days, and should be cherished as such. I guess some are so busy-and so overloaded with work, as they can hand out snotty remarks in drive by posts, Instead of having work sent their way ever couple weeks or so? I had hoped to wring this one out a bit, May still, but will vist with Dan T a bit to find out what he thinks of it. Suddenly am most thankful I never had to buy it from the Original maker.

KW
    The Lunger

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    From the sound of the verbiage in this thread, it would seem you would have trouble having the original maker sell you one.

Boolit Grand Master

I have worked with custom makers of equipment of and on for many years. Some are great and trul;y give the idea/impression they want your buisness and want to work with you. Others are so aloof that just talking to them causes headaches. When I bought my brooks mould we e-mailed back and forth 3-4 times over a couple days getting details right and getting me to understand what and why. Ive had mould makers I e-mailed that never got back to me in answer to my questions. One of the better caster at my hom club will tell a person alloy size and basics but refuses to give out any information asto casting procedure feeling he is so far above that normal mortals cant understand. Wanting to know a little history of a piece of equipment isnt unussual or diffrent, Isnt that part of why we struggle and tinker with 100 year old technology to shoot? There are custom makers I will go back to and custom makers I will recomend. Others are mentioned as such.

Boolit Master
    Indeed country gent, could not agree more. I asked a couple polite and civil (least I thought) questions about this mould. I got half an answer and a sniping. Which was not called for. Oh well no dang wonder I usually keep away from this forum.

KW
    The Lunger

Kenny, I think the main answer came with
    There is only a couple of them out there, a few .45's and one .50 cal that is in Rick Mulhern's possesion.
    Spoke volumes in few words.

I hear you on the one to spare at Raton. Had to quit with the sighters on the 1k line so I had enough to shoot for score... Maybe I should of just kept on with the sighters.. Did find a spot on the left side of the forearm where the barrel was rubbing pretty hard, I imagine from all the moisture, and probably explains a lot of the shots outside the black as the shot string got longer.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Wasserburger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Wanting to know a little history of a piece of equipment isnt unussual or diffrent, Isnt that part of why we struggle and tinker with 100 year old technology to shoot? There are custom makers I will go back to and custom makers I will recomend. Others are mentioned as such.
    Indeed country gent, could not agree more. I asked a couple polite and civil (least I thought) questions about this mould. I got half an answer and a sniping. Which was not called for. Oh well no dang wonder I usually keep away from this forum.

KW
    The Lunger
    What did you hope to learn?
    He told you what the numbers and letters mean.
    He told you who designed and used the mould.
    It is commonly known that you and the original owner are well-acquainted, so the source of all 'useful' information is already available to you.

Did you think Rick would 'feel honored' to hear that you had bought a used mould made by him - after having said you would not be buying any of his new ones?

Since he wasn't around then, country gent wouldn't know that fourteen months ago you said you would 'boycott' Rick's work because of an imagined insult.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post1788559

With that, you publicly made an enemy of him.
    You claimed that your memory is long ... and it appears his is, as well.

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 09-24-2013 at 05:43 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Kenny,

I have one of Rick's moulds, an adjustable one with a hollow base. It says "0.442 .45-TGBS" and is signed "R. Kalynuik." It even came with a patch template. RCBS handles fit it perfectly.

Data on the box says it will do 0.442" with 30:1 mix, tapered nose style, 0.180" meplat, and will max at 640 gr with pure lead. So far, I've left it set at about 560 gr with my alloy.

Still on the learning curve with PP boolits, but so far, Rick's and Steve Brooks' 550-gr 0.440" Postell moulds cast and seem to shoot equally well.

Me, I've never begrudged a certain amount of "artistic temperament" from people who really have the "artistry" to back it up. (Woe, of course, to the posers who flaunt the temperament but have no such artistry; they will be ridiculed unto the fourth generation.) You and Rick really ought to go easier on each other. You're both artists in your own ways.

Boolit Master
    Charlie, I asked the maker also about the mould handles no reply to that, as the seller claimed RCBS would work wanted to maker sure is all. And I did not know it was one of Dan's designs, now I do and of course have already visted with Dan on it.

No need for him to feel honored? Nope, And that was not my intent, Staying at home in your little world you aint got a fricking clue do you, the majority of the time. And that honored remark, just shows you for being the south end of a north bound Horse.

He choose to throw the acid in the bath.

Bent-Ramrod thanks so very much for info, about the mould handles, I will say this, it (the Mould) appears to be a very excellent quality mould. Bent your very right about the going easier on each other, I made the first step got my teeth kicked in.

Won't make that mistake again.

KW
    The Lunger

Boolit Buddy
    If you can't handle the answer don't ask the question.
    NRA certified pistol instructor & RSO.

Quote Originally Posted by cal50 View Post
    If you can't handle the answer don't ask the question.
    Out of all the folks that posted in this thread, there are only 2 that replied directly to the question. Your response certainly does not apply, and I'm wonder what happened to the "report" buttons, and why haven't the mods stepped in and reprimanded the bullspit being thrown about by those that are clueless to the answer the OP is looking for?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Out of all the folks that posted in this thread, there are only 2 that replied directly to the question. Your response certainly does not apply, and I'm wonder what happened to the "report" buttons, and why haven't the mods stepped in and reprimanded the bullspit being thrown about by those that are clueless to the answer the OP is looking for?
    Actually it does.
    A questions was asked then an answer given, the person just did not like the entire answer.

If you want support or information from a mold maker is best not to make a dig at them in a public forum them expect support .
    The original question was answered so move on and stop crying.

Show us where the original question about the proper handles was answered? The handles was the question, not a review of where the op purchased the mould, not what all the letters on the mould meant.
    OP asked about what are the proper handles to use....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Show us where the original question about the proper handles was answered? The handles was the question, not a review of where the op purchased the mould, not what all the letters on the mould meant.
    OP asked about what are the proper handles to use....

You answered it 1st and claimed RCBS handles work.
    RRR replied and explained the nomenclature of the mold and in his signature has a link for the proper mold handles.

Between your reply and the link in the manufactures signature the question was answered,and RRR answer nailed it the best.

I've never owned a KAL mould that didn't shoot great! I was just a little ignorant of the best diameter that my rifle desired for top accuracy. The ones I have work well for hunting bullets as they have somewhat of a fairly wide meplat but the next I get from Rick.....will be a bit different for target work!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast