Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which bipod do you recommend?

which bipod do you recommend?

hey guys/gals, i'm wanting to get a bipod for my .223 Howa1500 and can't decide if i should get a short one (6"-9") or the taller one (9"-12"). i'll be using it for some benchrest shooting at the range as well as shooting prone in my backyard. thanks in advance for the input

Bench and prone - get the short - I suggest the Harris or a good clone of it - if your like me and have prone in unlevel areas get the swivel model.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

+1 on Art! They cost a little more, but they work better.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I'd avoid the tall ones, no need for the height and they'd allow more flex and movement.

Harris swivel pod model, forget the clones.

Love Life
    What Artful said. If you have to be the coolest kid on the block then get an Atlas.

Harris prone.That is all.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

I like the 6-9. Harris makes the best bipod period.

Boolit Grand Master

Another vote for the short Harris with the swivel. Some days, some rifles, it works better than my sandbag rests.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Harris makes the best bipod ! IMO get the 6/9" and spend the Extra $ and get the S series that can tilt for uneven ground condtions. which you constantly encounter & have to adjust the length of the legs to level the rifle on the std model, when not shot from a level bench.

Boolit Grand Master

HBRMS Harris Bipod 6" to 9"with notches (Swivels). The legs ejecting with the springs work and adjust way easier than the original style.

http://www.harrisbipods.com/HBRMS.html

For height most people like the 6 -9 best for of the bench use. I am 6’ 4” and from prone the 9-12 works best for me. I have 1/2 each.

Styles:
    Series "M": A new version of the original Bipod. The legs eject by spring action. Height settings in 1" increments.

Series "S": Swivels to either side for instant leveling on uneven ground. Hinged base has tension adjustment and buffer springs to eliminate tremor or looseness

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I have a Harris Bipod that the well I am going to call it the saddle the weld failed. I found the phone number to them and called to see if I could buy a replacement. The lady that answered the phone was nice and got a gentleman to talk to me about it that she felt could help me better. When I told him were it broke he told me sending me the part would not work out well for me since the nuts had been fixed not to unscrew and were very tricky to do without messing them up. My first thought was oh boy this is going to get pricey but then he said he was going to get the lady back on the phone and she would give me the shipping info to return the bipod for repair free of charge. Never asked me how it broke which was totally my fault not a failure on the bipods. When I got home from work today what I thought was my bipod it appears to be a brand new bipod with all the paper work and packaging of a new one. Mine was in great shape like new but I know it had some wear marks on it which I can not find anything on this one. All it cost me was shipping back to them and took right at a week. My first time dealing with them on a repair but they sure are off to a great start.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Grand Master

They also support Veteran's and Military events. A very classy US company.

Boolit Master

HARRIS, I have 7 of them, 3 of the 's' types, they are the Cadillac of the bi-pods----IMHO. Just put one on my M-1A.

Boolit Master
    I've found the taller ones are good for standing shots across a truck hood. Or really tall grass prone shooting. I'd say go for the short bipod and spring the extra money for the adjustable cant.

Boolit Grand Master

Hopefully the OP has purchased one since this thread is almost three years old.

Boolit Master

Might be an old post but the new posts are what I needed to hear. Thanks Guys!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Hopefully the OP has purchased one since this thread is almost three years old.
    Yeah, but Harris is still the best out there!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Might be an old post but the new posts are what I needed to hear. Thanks Guys!
    Also the Sadlak QD reinforced post to attach it. Roger @ Sadlak is a great guy and very helpful.

www.sadlak.com
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

And a throw lever for the S model to lock it. Two or three models available on midway for a buck or two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast