Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.62x54r

7.62x54r

A gun show will be in my area this next weekend. I want to buy a can of military ammo for my Mossin Nagant. I have heard that not all of the military cartridges are corrosive. So what do I look for? Which countrey made the no corrosive ammo?

Boolit Master
    I do not know of any military surplus in 7.62x54r that is not corrosive. Some of the bulk new production non corrosive Russian ammo is packaged a bit like repackaged surplus.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shaper View Post
    A gun show will be in my area this next weekend. I want to buy a can of military ammo for my Mossin Nagant. I have heard that not all of the military cartridges are corrosive. So what do I look for? Which countrey made the no corrosive ammo?
    Firing corrosive ammo is no worse that using noncorrosive, it is not cleaning the weapon correctly after firing is where the damage occurs.

After using corrosive ammo, clean well with water first, then dry, lube and done.

Boolit Master

Never heard tell of mil surp nagant ammo that was not corrosive, lots of rifles chambered for it are still around and in good shape, don't be scared of it just give the old girl a bath when she's dirty.

I bought 500 reloadable 182gr PPU rounds, just to avoid the old primer problems.

My PU will never have milsurp fired though it, while I own it.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    just to avoid the old primer problems.
    Exactly how does "operator error" equal primer problem? Not trying to be a wise crack but that is exactly how new shooters are put off. Corrosive primers are not a reason to not use the surplus ammo. Not cleaned correctly is the problem. Or maybe it is the "I can wait till whenever" that appeals to so many. Another shortcut....

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    ALL steel cased, Berdan primed Combloc 7.62x54R ball ammo, regardless of country of origin is corrosive.

Almost all brass cased Berdan primed 7.62x54R ammo is corrosive.

There is no such thing as "slightly" corrosive, it either is, or it isn't, just like being "a little bit pregnant"....

The only reliable source of noncorrosive ammo is either new production or post 1980 manufacture Boxer primed ammo from IK, nny, PPU, Norma, Sako, RWS, Winchester.

As a general rule, if the ammo has brass cases and is Boxer primed with reloadable brass, it is probably non-corrosive.

OK, I'll stop worrying about the military ammo, and just buy a 440 count can with the best price I can find.
    I'll also sharpen my skills at cleaning the same day I shoot it.
    thanks guys.

Boolit Buddy

I clean my firearms after using corrosive ammo (and blackpowder) with boiling hot soapy water then rise with clean boiling water, then oil. Never had a problem. The hot water evaporates quickly.
    INFIDEL

In Remembrance

Shoot a little Windex with ammonia down the bore and follow with a patch wet with Windex. This will kill the corrosive salts. then clean normally and lube the bore and you will be ok with any of the milsurp ammo.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by aspangler View Post
    Shoot a little Windex with ammonia down the bore and follow with a patch wet with Windex. This will kill the corrosive salts. then clean normally and lube the bore and you will be ok with any of the milsurp ammo.
    This is the way a guy I met in '98 selling MN's at a local gun show told me to do and my brand new Polish 44 that I bought then still has a beautiful bore using only corrosive since the day it was bought, and both my 91/30's aren't any worse for wear using this method.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Banned

While you are still at the range. run a couple of DRY patches down the barrel. This will take out about 80% of the nasty stuff. Then when you get home clean like normal. Come back the next day and clean it again. What is so hard about that? You don't need water. But that is the best way to take care of the salts that are from the primers. Windex is just water blue water so skip it. If you have to use it, go to the sink and pour some water in a jug and add some food coloring to the water to match the windex to make you feel good.

Brush or patch it out before you wet it will speed the cleaning. Try it. Since I started doing this, I only use about 4 patches when I used to use about 10.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aspangler View Post
    I have issues with this method. Nothing personal, you understand. First, you cannot "kill" corrosive salts. They must be physically removed. Second, a 'little' Windex/water/whatever probably won't do the job. You need to flush the bore with whatever you use. Third, this method does absolutely nothing for the corrosive gases that have coated the bolt face, firing pin tip, and exterior of the muzzle.

After firing corrosive ammo I flush the bore with hot (usually soapy) water, then rinse with more hot water. I disassemble the bolt and wash the bolt face and firing pin with hot water, then I wash off all exposed metal at the muzzle. Once dry, clean and lube as for noncorrosive ammo and reassemble. I have never experienced rust caused by firing corrosive primed ammo.

I personally regard the recommendation to 'squirt a little Windex down the bore' as a shortcut that will eventually lead to a ruined rifle. Just MHO; take it for what it's worth.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by N4AUD View Post
    I clean my firearms after using corrosive ammo (and blackpowder) with boiling hot soapy water then rise with clean boiling water, then oil. Never had a problem. The hot water evaporates quickly.
    Water, water, water! 600 years of cleaning corrosive substances out of bores can't be wrong.
    Flush with water, patch out, then patch out with WD40 to remove any residual moisture then lube. Job done.
    ukrifleman.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ukrifleman View Post
    Water, water, water! 600 years of cleaning corrosive substances out of bores can't be wrong.
    Flush with water, patch out, then patch out with WD40 to remove any residual moisture then lube. Job done.
    ukrifleman.
    Yep, Probably the best advice so far. A little elbow grease with the cleaning rod counteracts a lot.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by ukrifleman View Post
    ukrifleman.
    I DO use this method with black powder, and the Windex with corrosive.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by daengmei View Post
    Exactly how does "operator error" equal primer problem? Not trying to be a wise crack but that is exactly how new shooters are put off.
    This is personal preference.

I choose to skip the extra cleaning step. You cant always get all of it out, with out spending more time than I care to. My 91/30 PU is new, and I choose to keep it that way.

Besides Im a precision shooter, I dont use any milsurp ammo period. I reload everything.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    This is personal preference.

My 91/30 PU is new, and I choose to keep it that way.

Besides Im a precision shooter, I dont use any milsurp ammo period. I reload everything.
    Precision=PU ???

Funny
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Flushing with water is about the best advice yet but I'll say up front I really don't like having to clean them right away . To get around that problem I wait for a day when I don't have anything pressing then spend the day at the range and shoot as much as I want . Before leaving I do squirt some home made water based cleaner to flush out as much as a squirt bottle can . When it stops dripping I wrap a rag around the muzzle , take it home and clean it right . Since my home made mix has a little ammonia in it it does help work on jacket fouling .

Clean it , dry it , check on it the next day and still have bores as nice as the day the commies turned 'em in for a new AK . Now that I have laid in a stash of boxer primers cases and my milsurp ammo for the Mosin is gone I won't have to fuss with it . Another couple thousand rounds of Mauser ammo and I'll be done with that ...... might take a few years though .

Jack

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use a cotton bore mop wet with water through the bore while at the range so it us still warm. Rinse out the mop, wet again and repeat, then flush mop with Ed's Red, pass through the bore a couple times and leave slopy wet for the drive home. No later than the next day disassemble bolt and clean bore, etc. normally with Mil-C372B or Ed's Red. No rust issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast