Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The ultimate 358 Winchester

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Well, if you decide you want to lay down the law on the local pig population, I can sure build you one of these. It's like playing whack-a-mole with a battle axe!
    I would love you to buid me one. The only problem is that boarder between us. But, oh yes, I would LOVE one of your rifles in 358. I drooled over the bolt gun you posted and now this one.....

Boolit Grand Master

Well, I took it out with cast lead loads today. I've heard everything from "cast lead will clog up the gas port!" to "Cast lead boolits wont cycle in that thing!"
    Hogwash! It's an M1A. It'll eat dirt if you spill ketchup on it!
    Sure, you may have to tweak the gas a little, but it aint rocket surgery.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EayO8...ature=youtu.be
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Tim I keep missing your calls. I'm up late so feel free to call. No texting though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Goodsteel, how about a Garand to 35 Whelen? Can you do that?
    You read my mind.

Gear

Boolit Master
    IIRC, there were some factory M1A rifles in 358 Winchester. Had a M88 in 358, want it back.

hmm, guess I better dig out my .358 FAL, and post up some pictures and such.

P.S. Goodsteel, the Douglass pistol barrel (16") that is on my FN/FAL is the only chamber the reamer you are using had cut before it went to you

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
    hmm, guess I better dig out my .358 FAL, and post up some pictures and such.

P.S. Goodsteel, the Douglass pistol barrel (16") that is on my FN/FAL is the only chamber the reamer you are using had cut before it went to you
    That is an awesome reamer. Very smooth cutting. However, it's not the one that was used on this rifle.

I posted a youtube video up above, but I didn't realize it was set on "private" so nobody saw it LOL! Check 'er out!

Tim: I just love the myth that gas guns can't shoot cast boolits. There has been a lot of debunking on that one here on the site and there are many who do it routinely with Garands, myself included.

I don't know if people just think lead is being shaved off by the gas port in the barrel or if they believe the Krappola about lead particles killing the Condors and Bald Eagles and think it is clogging their Garands as well.

It's always amazing to me when BS turns out to be BS.

I just love it!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

I don't like to argue with people over BS they propogate. I just like to let the facts speak for themselves. They learn more that way, and it saves my heart.
    I could have argued about that point, the feasibility, the effectiveness, or the cool factor of this project for years and not accomplished as much as snapping in a 20 round mag and ripping it off, destroying my buddies steel gong, and wreaking havoc on his backstop.
    When you reach for the second mag, and you hear "woe woe, that's enough!" It doesn't matter if its coming from behind you, or in front of you, you know you brought enough gun!

Boolit Master
    Call this thing Mjölnir because this has GOT to be Thor's hammer!

Almost give ya chills that's so badazz!

Boolit Master
    Now that's just cool!!
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Love Life
    That rifle is cool as can be. I wouldn't be afraid of going anywhere with that thing strapped on my back.

Great job Tim!!!

Now get back in the shop!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Well, I finished another interesting project. I converted the best semi-automatic rifle on the planet to shoot the best cast lead boolit cartridge on the planet.
    I'm talking about an M1A National Match rebuilt to fire the 358 Winchester cartridge.
    This is a project for a member here, that has been on the bench for a while, but I finally got it completed today.
    It runs like a sewing machine with 200gr or 250 grain (jacketed only so far) and is amazingly accurate.
    This is a 7 shot group, shot from prone position on my elbows (and it wasn't a comfortable hold!). Still, I was shocked at the accuracy I got, which seems to always bee the case when I'm shooting the M1A. I always expect to see a spray, and find a wad of holes instead.
    Anyway, there is much more testing to come, but I couldn't wait to share.
    Really cool. Nice idea.

I realize this is a three year old thread but I'm bumping this up for no other reason than it's such an awesome idea!!!

I have a Norinco SOCOM-18 (a reliable Chinese knock-off of a SOCOM-16 with a Canadian length non-restricted barrel...) that I would love to convert to .358 Win.....
    There are precious few horror films that couldn't be cut well short by a single loaded 12 gauge and someone with the sense to use it. -- K.R. Murphy

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gun-adian View Post
    I realize this is a three year old thread but I'm bumping this up for no other reason than it's such an awesome idea!!!

I have a Norinco SOCOM-(a reliable Chinese knock-off of a SOCOM-16 with a Canadian length non-restricted barrel...) that I would love to convert to .358 Win.....
    Well, go do it!
    You need the tools necessary to disassemble your rifle and get the barrel off of it. Once you dismount the barrel, send it to JES reboring and have him cut in his three groove rifling. Bring it back, put it together, make sure everything is timed I correctly, add an adjustable gas block, and away you go.

The fellow I built this one for sold all his other M1A's. I think he sleeps with the 358 by his pillow. I've cast him more 285gr cast bullets several times, so I know he's shooting it. LOL!

so for 35 whelen conversion to a Remington 700 30'06 shooting cast 225-280gr boolits 90% of the time, is 3 or 4 groove best??
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

not trying to hijack your thread, was just a similar subject- and people keep mentioning the 35 whelen. sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    not trying to hijack your thread, was just a similar subject- and people keep mentioning the 35 whelen. sorry
    Not sure how your reply is a hijack but since I have both a 358 Winchester and a 35 Whelen Ackley Improved I will have to say they are both great rounds. But for hunting in South TEXAS for Deer and Hog along with a Coyote or Bobcat now and then one could not do better than a .358 Winchester as it does not give up much to a 35 Whelen except for maybe weight,length of the action as one can use a short action as it is the same as the .308 and of coarse for the .358 Winchester one does not really need longer than a 20" barrel to get things done. Even though I am sure some may argue that point lol. But there is one last little thing and that is depending on powder choice of coarse less powder as well.

So if you plan to hunt say Elk at up to 400 yards or Brown Bear then a 35 Whelen would get the nod. Everything else the .358 Winchester can handle nicely.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

so do you suppose a 20" barrel in 35 whelen would limit the cartridge? considering I don't plan on using it past 150-200yards?

Boolit Grand Master

The ultimate 358 Winchester

Thanks for brining this thread up again. Now I have it in my head again to buy one and send it to Tim for the conversion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast