RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data

Thread: 124 gr for 9mm

Boolit Mold

124 gr for 9mm

This winter I was going to try and make some 124 gr lead bullets. Any suggestions on a mold that can do multiple rounds at a time (6)? Do I have to swage them after I make them or is there a mold that you don't have to swage the bullet. Thanks.

Boolit Master

Did you mean size instead of swage? If you did mean size, you will have to slug your bore, check the measurement with a mic, not caliper. In most cases you will be able to shoot as cast especially if you order a quality mold and let the mold maker know what your alloy is. Good luck and welcome!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master

Lee 356 120 TC is a really good one and quite affordable. 9mm is a bit of a PITA, not the easiest
    to learn on. I recommend staying away from Lee's tumble lubing process for learning with
    the 9mm, it can and does work but is much more likely to fail in 9mm than in other cartridges
    like .45 ACP and .38 Spl. Lee push thru sizing dies are cheap and pan lubing will save the
    cost of a lubrisizer.

You probably mean "sizing" not swaging. Swaging is forming a boolit from a lead cylinder by
    pressure forming it. Sizing is just slightly changing the diameter of a cast boolit. You MIGHT get
    away without sizing, but it is usually best to size to a consistent diameter. Expect to use
    .357 or .358 diameter or larger for 9mm - regardless of the size of jacketed bullets.

This may help.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-in-a-new-9mm

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I have the Lee 356-120-TC conventional lube groove mold in 6 cavity and tumble lube the bullets. The mold likes to be hot to cast good bullets and there is no need to cool it off between casts because the bullets are so small. The same cannot be said with the 230 grain 45ACP 6 cavity mold, it does need to be cooled down about every 4-5 casts because there is so much lead in those blocks.

The 6 cavity mold is really good for producing a lot of bullets in a short time. I typically cast about 8-900 in a leisurely 2 hour session. That's where a 20 pound bottom pour pot really helps. I keep my pot 1/4 to 7/8 full and that many bullets require only 1-2 refills of the pot.

I bought a Lee 0.356" sizer because my M&P barrel slugged at 0.3545" but after the first couple thousand rounds, I decided to try loading them without sizing, just tumble lubed. They shoot great, but I have to seat the bullet so that there is no vertical part showing above the case rim, otherwise they hang up in the chamber due to the short, narrow throat of the Smith and Wesson barrel (same as on the 40 cal barrel). Tumble lubing in 45/45/10 is very clean and simple with a 1 gallon ziplock bag and a shortened cardboard box lined with wax paper. I typically start loading the cast bullets the next day after casting (I don't wait for aging/hardening or anything like that). I only shoot paper < 25 yards and the gun/cartridge is more accurate than I am so there is no need for any more perfection so I am happy with cheap/reliable/simple loads in high quantity.
    Attachment 82878

Boolit Master
    If you want to go custom, the NOE 9mm molds are beautiful.
    The 135 gr. FP 5 cavity (I noticed one w/ bevel base in stock at noebulletmolds.com).
    A little heavier, and a lot more expensive than the Lee, but great. Swaging doesn't come into the mix with most cast bullets–I trust you mean sizing.
    I pan-lube and then size my 9mm bullets to .358" with a Lee push-through sizer (about $15).
    Best of luck,
    -BE

re. sizing: many bullets can be loaded without sizing, but you need to have the ability to do it because some will be out of spec.
    Last edited by Boolseye; 09-28-2013 at 08:09 AM.

Mihec 359-125 four cavity brass cramer style mold.
    My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=novalty

Boolit Master

I use and recommend the Lee 124 grain truncated cone.

Mine is the 6 cavity.

You will need to size them.

If you don't you will find that many of them will not chamber and you will have to pull them.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Mold
    First welcome to the forum Onepocket. As MtGun44 sugested read the sticky on setting up for 9mm (link in post #3). It helped me a bunch when I started loadin 9mm. As far as molds go Lee molds will work for making a pile of boolits, the NOE and Mihec will also work great. If you are just starting out casting mabey start with Lee. Sizing will help you with consistancy (as long as you use the right size, slug that barrel). Consistancy will help you identify any problems with your rounds. Last but not least dont be afraid to ask, there are a lot of great folks here.

The Lee 358-125 works great in the several 9mm's we've tried it in.
    Drops at 130gr with straight WW.