Load DataRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stainless Tumbling Pins Question

Banned
    Reality check.... deburring and cleaning are all that is taking place. There is no work hardening or otherwise weakening of the cases going on. What your seeing in the water after cleaning are small particles the burr removal off the necks of the cases.

Boolit Grand Master

Depriming dislodges small pieces of brass that were left from the punching of the flash hole. If you look carefully, from the mouth, at the hole you will likely see some flash like edges before tumbling, but not after.
    The pins have simply dislodged them. If you can't measure a loss in length there has not been any damage done. The edge of the neck is the thinnest area and would get far more wear. Any wear in that area is caused by the brass falling against brass. If it were caused by the pins it would be rounded and even as in chamfered and beveled.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC87 View Post
    Ok, I use stainless pins with remarkable results on my brass, I got a phone call from a few fellow reloaders who tell me that you can only use the pins one time on brass cases because the pins remove brass and will cause them to split or prematurely wear out. I have never heard this and was wanting you fellas input on the subject. What they are saying is that you have to keep track of the brass that has been through the pins and not to tumble the same ones again in pins. Any comments are appreciated.
    `Someone is blowing smoke. Pins will peen the surface and make them easier to grip. They may not have their headspace set with their dies, and do not use any automotive wash and wax replacing the dawn in cleaning solution.
    I have several boxes of rifle brass that has been cleaned with the SS pins over 20 times and are still good,

Interesting topic.

Any time that I process new brass for my cast bullet match rifles, one thing I do is de burr the inside of the flash holes. It's amazing how much flash comes out of new cases sometimes, depending on the brand of brass it is. Especially if the flash holes have been punched instead of drilled.

Could it be that some of the flecks seen in the water is this flash being removed by the SS pins over time?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12