Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US-Krag needs a new barrel

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    Depends on what type of competition you're figuring on getting into. The Criterion barrels are perfectly legal in NRA/CMP competition, although a barrel with a 12" twist may not be legal (sorta goes against "as issued"). Where Criterion barrels or other brands are not legal is in Cast Bullet Association military rifle matches. With the CBA it has to be an original GI issue barrel. I tried to get them to change as there are a lot of other milsurps other than the Krag that Criterion makes barrels for, but some of the older management thinks that either finding a new USGI barrel or making the one you have shoot is part of the game.

Obviously, like new Krag barrels aren't going to be easy to come by. Though I don't doubt some old parts supplier has a few somewhere that he's forgotten about.

A Douglas blank long enough to get a 30" Krag barrel out of would be pretty pricey (if that's the length you need) and then you'd have to get it machined to the proper contour, threaded, extractor groove cut, front sight dovetail cut, and finally rear sight holes drilled and tapped. All that is done for you with the Criterion, and all you need to finish the job is to have the front sight brazed or soldered into the dovetail. I used to think about a Douglas barrel myself, until I saw it'd take an extra long blank and a lot of machining.
    PM sent
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

People who collect US Krags - would you say their barrels by and large are in good condition if you find a rifle, or are they usually pretty messed up?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmiceyes View Post
    In what type competition Larry? What do I have the luxury of doing?
    Download the current NRA High Power rules, especially those that apply to older service rifles and milsurp rifles. Most local matches that have milsurp matches follow those rules concerning rifle modification, sometimes loosly though.

I've no idea what matches are available in your area but I have competed in many milsurp matches in the PNW in which Krag rifles were very much in attendance.

Larry Gibson

Here's the CMP rules; note that rebarreling is allowed.

4.0 Firearms, Ammunition and Equipment
    This section of the Rules defines the rifles and pistols that may be used by
    competitors who participate in CMP As-Issued Military Rifle and Pistol
    events.
    4.1 As-Issued Military Rifles
    As-Issued Military Rifles that are used in CMP-sanctioned matches must comply
    with these rules.
    4.1.1 General As-Issued Military Rifle Requirements
    The following rules apply to all as-issued U. S. and foreign military rifles
    unless specific exceptions are noted in these Rules:
    • All as-issued military rifles must be rifles that were commonly issued to
    U. S. Armed Forces or to foreign military personnel.
    • The rifle must be in as-issued condition, with a standard stock and
    sights.
    • The rifle must conform to the weight and dimensional specifications of
    the standard-issue service rifle. Weights, including bayonets, may not
    be attached or added to the rifle, but issue oilers or cleaning kits may be
    placed in the stock.
    • Commercial or replica versions of as-issued military rifles are not
    permitted.
    • Rebarreling with a barrel of as-issued dimensions is permitted. A
    replacement barrel must have the same exact contours and cuts as the
    original as-issued barrel.
    • Only government-issue parts or government or commercial parts of the
    exact same weight and dimensions may be used.
    • Sights must be of the same types that were on rifles issued to regular
    military personnel, except that the internal diameter of rear apertures
    may be modified. Adjustable apertures, interchangeable inserts and
    lens inserts of any type are prohibited. Special purpose sights designed
    for sniping or competition are not permitted.
    • Rifles may be accurized only by the careful assembly of standard parts.
    • Flash suppressors, cheek pads, recoil pads, or stock extensions are
    prohibited.
    • Bayonets may not be attached to As-Issued Military Rifles during
    competitions.
    • Stocks must be as-issued stocks or replacement stocks with the same
    dimensions. Laminated stocks and stocks made of synthetic materials
    are prohibited. Broken or cracked as-issued stocks may be repaired
    with the use of epoxies or other chemical adhesives, provided the
    original as-issued stock dimensions are not changed and no epoxy,
    adhesive or reinforcing material is used in or on any of the bedding
    surfaces for the rifle action or barrel.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 09-24-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you Larry! 's

Jules

Boolit Master
    I have a few krags have looked at a lot more over the years. I have seen quite a few worn bores. in fact about half of all the krags I have seen were well worn. I believe that the ones with the real nice bores had been back to the arsenal. it was a common problem it was a combination. of the powder and the bullet gilding metal.

I have seen and shot some rifles that were almost smooth bore out to the rear sight. they still shot pretty good.

Boolit Master
    Cupro-Nickel fouling sealed corrosive primer reside away from cleansing with solvents but not from moist air.
    My Krag carbine had such a thick layer of metal fouling and so much rust under it that when I tried to clean it the metal fouling came up from the grooves in long curled strips that tore the bristles off bronze brushes.
    I looked around for a gunsmith who could fit a new barrel but in those days none anywhere near would touch a Krag. The square cut threads were not something most gunsmiths could cut, and not common for machine shops. I think they were more worried about liability than anything else.
    I finally traded the Carbine to a collector who swore he'd only put it on display and never try to fire it.

Years later a company making replica Krag barrels had advertisements in Shotgun News.

I've heard that relining a Krag barrel is an option, due to its low working pressure. I've heard of owners of early production Garands having shot out barrels relined so as to retain correct era markings.
    Some Gew 98 rifles were relined to 7mm , and these seem to have held up okay.

The solvent used to remove Cupro-Nickel fouling was extremely poisonous, and could ruin a barrel if air got to the steel while the solvent was at work.
    They mixed the stuff on site as needed and only Non Coms or designated personel were allowed to use it.
    They plugged the chamber then stretched a short piece of rubber hose over the muzzle. The solvent was poured in till it partly filled the rubber hose. They checked every so often to make sure the level never dropped below the muzzle, otherwise a corroded tide line would form at interface of solvent and air.

As usual improper cleaning killed more barrels than anything else.

Super Moderator

.............One of the first things I made when I got a REAL lathe was a Krag action barreling nut (for lack of better nomenclature ).

The last photo shows the action nut complete except for slitting, and then threading for the two 1/4-20 'cinch bolts'. The Krag action is, as compared to most other common bolt actions a fairly spindly affair with more air then steel in a couple critical positions. Especially where one might want to clamp a common action wrench. Hense this all encircling nut.

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

If I needed a new barrel for my Krag I would go the the new CMP Custom Shop. You guys might like to check out their prices for barreling a karg, 1903 or M1. They look good to me. http://www.thecmp.org/sales/customshop.htm

Ken
    Last edited by skeet1; 10-06-2013 at 10:46 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by skeet1 View Post
    If I needed a new barrel for my Krag I would go the the new CMP Custom Shop. You guys might like to check out their prices for barreling a karg, 1903 or M1. They look good to me. http://www.thecmp.org/sales/customshop.htm

Ken
    This is a splendid idea! Thanks for the link. I liked their barrels from a earlier link,just didn't know where to really go for the complete gunsmith! 's

Jules

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    .............One of the first things I made when I got a REAL lathe was a Krag action barreling nut (for lack of better nomenclature ).

The last photo shows the action nut complete except for slitting, and then threading for the two 1/4-20 'cinch bolts'. The Krag action is, as compared to most other common bolt actions a fairly spindly affair with more air then steel in a couple critical positions. Especially where one might want to clamp a common action wrench. Hense this all encircling nut.

............Buckshot
    Your machinist abilities,and knowledge base are something to be proud of. I envy you! The mold you repaired works great! I owe you a beer! 's

Jules

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12