Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US-Krag needs a new barrel

Boolit Buddy

US-Krag needs a new barrel

I bought a US-Krag barreled action,and I need to get it re-barreled.I need some experienced help as to what rate of twist,amount of groves,to make it a Military Shooter. I have a Redfield no drill peep sight needing a mounting screw,and a aperture.I know I will have to send it to whomever to get it all done. I have a nice stock that I bought from Great American Gunstocks in Yuba City Calif. It is 90 something percent done,select grade for a total price of $197.00.
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

It's hard to beat a 6 groove Douglas barrel in a 12 twist.

If you want to shoot in Military matches, you won't be able to with a replaced the barrel.

http://www.douglasbarrels.net/

Frank

Boolit Master
    I have been told that the Criterien Krag barrels are the best for replacement. They are indexed pretty well, as when they are screwed up tight against the receiver, the extractor cut is at 12 O'clock and the headspacing is usually good from the gitgo. At least that is what the experts say on the Krag Owners Forum. http://www.kragcollectorsassociation...num=1373472264
    Last edited by GBertolet; 09-20-2013 at 09:56 PM.

I wonder if anyone makes Norwegian Krag replacement barrels these days?

It sounds like you haven't assembled and fired the rifle yet. What makes you think the barrel is no good?

Boolit Master
    Frnkeore has it. Douglas .308 x 12." Mine will handle any weight cast boolit up to 311284 and 311299 at cast boolit velocities out to "mid-range." What's wrong with the barrel you have?

I heard some story once about a batch of Krags that came out of Springfield Arsenal that shot anomalously close on the sighting-in range. Turned out the guide on one of the riflng machines had come loose and slipped a little, with the resulting angle cutting a 12" twist instead of a 10" until they had tracked it down. They duly noted the 12" twist rifles shot more accurately than the normal run of the mine, and then reset the slipped guide back to 10." "Problem solved!"

I thought a 30-40 with a heavy bullet / boolit would be best served from a 1/10" twist barrel. The members on this thread from a few years ago says 1/12":

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch.../t-112066.html

I hope this helps
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JHeath View Post
    It sounds like you haven't assembled and fired the rifle yet. What makes you think the barrel is no good?
    How about 5 out of aligned holes drilled all over the barrel with some filled with JB-Wield where the rear sight would go. All the threads are boogered up,and they used JB-Wield to hold rear sight automotive screws in place. A nice hack saw cut in the top of the barrel also. Here is a picture of the mess.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0262.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	82395

It is also covered in some black coating that's coming off in patches.
    Last edited by Cosmiceyes; 09-21-2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: add info

Jules

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post
    It's hard to beat a 6 groove Douglas barrel in a 12 twist.

If you want to shoot in Military matches, you won't be able to with a replaced the barrel.

Frank
    Why wouldn't I be able to replace the barrel,and compete. The AR boys do it all the time. Everything will be original configuration but the twist. AR-boys change to heavy match grade barrels,and not much about their guns have any semblance of the original form.
    I am glad I can get a Douglas! I have 4"200th Year of American Liberty"Rugers with Douglas barrels. 's

Jules

In days gone by, it was common to take an 03 or 03A3 barrel, cut off a section in the rear, rethread and rechamber back to 30-40. But these days such barrels are not cheap anymore. I recently rebarreled a Krag with a new 03A3 barrel, but I had it for 30 years and it only cost me $15.00.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    Frnkeore has it. Douglas .308 x 12." Mine will handle any weight cast boolit up to 311284 and 311299 at cast boolit velocities out to "mid-range." What's wrong with the barrel you have?

I heard some story once about a batch of Krags that came out of Springfield Arsenal that shot anomalously close on the sighting-in range. Turned out the guide on one of the riflng machines had come loose and slipped a little, with the resulting angle cutting a 12" twist instead of a 10" until they had tracked it down. They duly noted the 12" twist rifles shot more accurately than the normal run of the mine, and then reset the slipped guide back to 10." "Problem solved!"
    That story has been around for a long time, but when I heard it, the rifles were 03 Springfields and not Krags. At any rate a 1-12 twist if very good for cast bullets in 30 caliber and will handle 180 grain jacketed very well. I am building a good 03 Sporter for my son and I had E.R. Shaw rebarrel it back to 30-06 and used a 1-12 twist barrel.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmiceyes View Post
    How about 5 out of aligned holes drilled all over the barrel with some filled with JB-Wield where the rear sight would go. All the threads are boogered up,and they used JB-Wield to hold rear sight automotive screws in place. A nice hack saw cut in the top of the barrel also. Here is a picture of the mess.
    Oh.

I would try shooting it anyway, assuming it is safe and does not disrupt your project. It could be a once-in-a-lifetime tack driver. If you have a broad sense of humor, you could enjoy having a sleeper at the range. Or you might decide to stash the old barrel for a future project where cosmetics do not matter.

Good or bad, you throw it away without testing it, you are throwing away information. The barrel is worth little, but the information could be worth a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmiceyes View Post
    Why wouldn't I be able to replace the barrel,and compete. The AR boys do it all the time. Everything will be original configuration but the twist. AR-boys change to heavy match grade barrels,and not much about their guns have any semblance of the original form.
    I am glad I can get a Douglas! I have 4"200th Year of American Liberty"Rugers with Douglas barrels. 's
    Depends on what type of competition you're figuring on getting into. The Criterion barrels are perfectly legal in NRA/CMP competition, although a barrel with a 12" twist may not be legal (sorta goes against "as issued"). Where Criterion barrels or other brands are not legal is in Cast Bullet Association military rifle matches. With the CBA it has to be an original GI issue barrel. I tried to get them to change as there are a lot of other milsurps other than the Krag that Criterion makes barrels for, but some of the older management thinks that either finding a new USGI barrel or making the one you have shoot is part of the game.

Obviously, like new Krag barrels aren't going to be easy to come by. Though I don't doubt some old parts supplier has a few somewhere that he's forgotten about.

A Douglas blank long enough to get a 30" Krag barrel out of would be pretty pricey (if that's the length you need) and then you'd have to get it machined to the proper contour, threaded, extractor groove cut, front sight dovetail cut, and finally rear sight holes drilled and tapped. All that is done for you with the Criterion, and all you need to finish the job is to have the front sight brazed or soldered into the dovetail. I used to think about a Douglas barrel myself, until I saw it'd take an extra long blank and a lot of machining.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 09-22-2013 at 12:08 AM.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

The Criterion barrels are perfectly legal in NRA/CMP competition, although a barrel with a 12" twist may not be legal (sorta goes against "as issued").

I think it's still legal as that is not and "external modification" to which the "as issued" determination generally applies.....always exceptions though.......

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

I think the Numrich #35 catalog list a replacement barrel for the Krag. Wasn't cheap. Don't know if they still have any, though. Their online search engine is the pits. You need the catalog to get the part number, and then look online to see if it's available. The barrel was a repro.

Lots of indexing problems reported with the Numrich barrels, back when they had them. Sights leaning and such.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JHeath View Post
    Oh.

I would try shooting it anyway, assuming it is safe and does not disrupt your project. It could be a once-in-a-lifetime tack driver. If you have a broad sense of humor, you could enjoy having a sleeper at the range. Or you might decide to stash the old barrel for a future project where cosmetics do not matter.

Good or bad, you throw it away without testing it, you are throwing away information. The barrel is worth little, but the information could be worth a lot.
    I wouldn't throw it away,but I know that the Krags need a longer boolit to feed correctly as somewhere in the 190-200 grain cast. I enjoyed so much hunting with the original carbine I had,and would continue with this new build. I like the original stock,and do not the fancy ones. From child to middle age eyes the military attracts me. Like the Ford model "A"'s. The barrel on the action is 22 inch,and was a original 24 as it serial number starts with 454xxx. So both the barreled action,and just bought complete Krag are NRA modified carbines with 1905 front sights cut 22 inches.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	82585

Jules

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    The Criterion barrels are perfectly legal in NRA/CMP competition, although a barrel with a 12" twist may not be legal (sorta goes against "as issued").

I think it's still legal as that is not and "external modification" to which the "as issued" determination generally applies.....always exceptions though.......

Larry Gibson
    In what type competition Larry? What do I have the luxury of doing?

Jules

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by captain-03 View Post
    A very good option. Need a qualified gunsmith to have it changed out. That is where I "know" I would need a who does anyone know,and trust? 's

Jules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast