Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: homemade lanolin & alcohol case lube?

homemade lanolin & alcohol case lube?

Wasn't sure where to ask this -

The homemade case resizing lube a lot of people use with lanolin and 91% isopropyl alcohol - is that made with paste lanolin or liquid lanolin?

I thought I'd read it was paste, so that's what I bought. But that stuff is sitting in the bottom of my spray bottle like sludge in an outhouse, and it sure ain't interested in mixing with the alcohol! Did I get the wrong stuff?

Boolit Grand Master

Works best (I normally use it) with the liquid PURE lanolin.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    I use lanolin oil (liquid). You have the wrong stuff. You need lanolin oil. You can get it on fleabay and some drug stores.
    ph4570

Boolit Master
    Liquid Lanolin is usually available in your local health food store as well.

Boolit Master

Pure lanolin and STP carb cleaner in the red bottle.

Liquid - that figures. That's the first thing I found, but I swore the recipe called for paste, so I got some on Fleabay. First I've heard about carb cleaner though?

I found that liquid lanolin dissolves very nicely in "Iso-Heet".

"Iso-Heet' is probably as anhydrous (water-free) an isopropyl alcohol you can buy easily off the shelf.

It is found back in the automotive section, next to the regular "Heet" fuel dryer.
    100,000 BC: stone tools. 4,000 BC: the wheel. 900 AD: gunpowder — bit of a game changer, that one

Peter Weyland, 2023

Nothing to worry about, because for once, I have the proper tool at hand. Looking for a little heat?.......Any questions?

Burt Gummer, Tremors 3

I use Lee Sizing Lube mixed in 91%, essentially the same thing as you are doing. Just shake it up before you spray, should work fine. Mine partially drops out of solution every time.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Boolit Buddy

Paste? It's a wax and should be fairly solid. If you warm up your alcohol/lanolin mix (in pot of boiling water) it will go back in suspension.
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Master
    I use a 12:1 91% rubbing alcohol:liquid lanolin solution in a cheap spray bottle.
    I shake well just before use, coat the brass in a large zip type bag, close the bag then agitate for a more even coating.
    Small bottle from the health food store goes a loooooooooooooooooong looooooooooooooooong way.
    I have been working off the same bottle for many years now and have sized many many rifle cases.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Banned

ive done it with the solid too. Add a little to some alcohol and just warm it in the microwave for a few seconds before using. Actually i dont use it that way anymore. Ive found the easiest way to lube cases is to put a hundred or so in a shoe box and put a pea size lump of lanolin in the palm of your had and rub it into both palms then work your hands around in the box of cases. Ive never had a stuck case that way and it about eliminates over lubing and the dented cases you get from it. Ive done thousands of 223 like that and ran them through a small base die and have done my largest magnums that way and again it worked slicker then snot. .

Boolit Grand Master
    I use it like I would Imperial. A small dab on the fingers every few cases. I just wipe those fingers over the case before sizing.

A very thin film is all that is needed.

Banned

I use the "pure" 99% alcohol and pure liquid lanolin, makes 20 ounces, lasts forever. Spray a small amount and gently tumble lube.

in Remebrance
    I use STP oil treatment on a stamp pad and have never had a stuck case, of course you do have to wipe it off. Believe it or not I soaked a stamp pad with the stuff over 30 years ago and am still using it. At least there is a use for the stuff, it doesn't do anything for an engine. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by joesig View Post
    Paste? It's a wax and should be fairly solid. If you warm up your alcohol/lanolin mix (in pot of boiling water) it will go back in suspension.
    Paste - wax, whatever. It's solid and in a jar, not liquid in a bottle. If there's something it will dissolve in, that would be great. It sure won't mix with the 91% isopropyl I have, and I've already heated the mix, it still separates out into a solid again.

I may just have to do the "dab in the hand and rub 'em all down" method. That will certainly work.

Boolit Buddy
    Get it at soap goods .com on the net
    We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control.

Boolit Grand Master

A small dab of that paste stuff is nice in your lube, though. Not too much or it will become very sticky. Don't ask!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    I use the "pure" 99% alcohol and pure liquid lanolin, makes 20 ounces, lasts forever. Spray a small amount and gently tumble lube.
    That's the key - 99% vs. 91%

Boolit Buddy
    i always heard any water in the alcohol will cause the two to separate after it sits awhile. all the alcohol was for anyway is to spread the lanolin real thin. once sprayed out the alcohol would evaporate and the lanolin would migrate around the cases it was sparyed onto in a couple of minutes.

Boolit Master
    I use the paste lanolin and STP also works great. Last week I bought some Imperial wax case sizing lube. Now I have a case solidly stuck in my .243 small base RCBS sizing die. Never stuck a case in all these years using "homebrew" and the first time I try the one that is said to be the best, I ruin a die. Never will I buy that stuff again!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast