Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: homemade lanolin & alcohol case lube?

Banned
    Food for thought

Studies have shown that acetone vapor concentrations in excess of 8000 ppm (19.36 mg/m) are generally required to produce signs of central nervous system depression in animals, but concentrations as low as 500 ppm (1210 mg/m) may cause subtle behavioral changes (Morgott, 1993; ATSDR, 1994).A

I don't see any bad effects from using isopropyl alcohol other than some people like myself have to learn not to touch their face. I unfortunately come up with a slight rash when I am in contact with it.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 03-01-2020 at 08:35 AM.

Banned
    The chemical is very flammable, so you need to avoid using things like paint and nail polish remover near open flames. Breathing in large amounts of acetone can cause health problems like: Nose, throat, eye, and lung irritation. Sore throat.

Looks like something we should all try out.

My wife uses nail polish remover and I'll tell you it can stink up the house really quick. I'm one of these people that has a problem walking down the soap aisle without sneezing and gasping for breath. I'll personally stay away from acetone.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
    I found that liquid lanolin dissolves very nicely in "Iso-Heet".

"Iso-Heet' is probably as anhydrous (water-free) an isopropyl alcohol you can buy easily off the shelf.

It is found back in the automotive section, next to the regular "Heet" fuel dryer.
    Iso-Heet is the same as the 91% Isopropyl Alcohol you get a WalMart with a fuel injector cleaner added. The alcohol from WalMart or elsewhere will be cheaper and do the same thing.
    C3H8O is the same no matter the name.

HEET uses methanol not isopropyl like Iso-HEET hence the difference in name. Both remove water but I have no idea if both would work the same for lube. Maybe? I do know that in the winter up north I put one 16oz bottle a week of WalMart 91% in each of my Semi's tanks and solved an icing problem I was having.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    The corona virus scare has cause panic buying of Isopropanol...

Nothing left at Walmart. I was able to find a case of 12 16oz 99% at Amazon for $22. Sold out but you can buy one for $6+

Sigh...

I also like using masks when I dry tumble. This pandemic is putting a crimp on my hobby.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I was telling my brother, "Buy anything you might be needing NOW!" Nearly EVERYTHING comes from China these days, plus other disruptions in supply chains caused by the virus... Many consumer websites are already warning of delays.

I do wonder how bad it will get.

As I mentioned I use acetone for many things in my hobbies and work. Never had a problem but one does have to be careful. Keep it off plastics and finished wood, and watch vapor build up. No big deal. You can buy it by the gallon, but I usually get pure acetone nail polish remover from the dollar store. Handy little bottles. They sell it both pure and "normal" formula, with the "normal" having some oil in it to make it not dry out your skin so much. That formulation might be best for mixing with lanolin for our purposes; who knows? Anyway, I'll experiment with it if I ever get the time....

Vettepilot
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 03-01-2020 at 01:16 PM.
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Mold
    Coconut oil works pretty well as a lube too. So far it hasn't been snapped up by the panic buyers. Side benefits are you can cook with it when your regular source of lube returns, and it makes both you and your reloading room smell good too.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234