Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with full wadcutters

Boolit Master

Hunting with full wadcutters

Anyone hunt with full wadcutters? A couple of my revolvers shoot them really well out to 50yds (357,44). This is my max range with a handgun anyways. I figured if a wide meplat bullet does good on game a full wadcutter should be ideal.
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Banned

out to 50 yds like you figure should be no problems.
    I carry a little button nosed wad cutter in my 41 mag when i'm out hunting.
    50 yds is about my max handgun distance too, but they sure are accurate to that point.

Perma-Banned

what do they weigh and how fast are they travlin ?

It would probably work fine if the velocity was over 800+ fps or so with at least 180+ grains within the distances you said. The work great on squirrels out of of a .32 or .38 Anything much past 50 yards and they start tumbling which is why most people don't use them I believe.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have used Saeco #348 double-end 146-grain wadcutter with 11 grs. of #2400 in. 357 brass for years, and at close range it is more effective than a Keith type. Velocity is about 1200 fps from my 4-5/8" Blackhawk. Great penetration and good shocking power.

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar
    What would you like to hunt with them? Personally I'd be skeptical of taking a deer out of a 44 with one, although I'm not saying it couldn't be done. I don't want to start an argument with anyone over meplat and velocity to bring down a deer. For rabbits, squirrel, raccoons, etc., I'm sure a wad cutter will do nicely.

Banned

Me thinks this will do well for deer this year. I'm giving it a try.

Here's a better picture of the projectile.

Hmmmm. That meplat is too wide. Might call that "just cheatin". he he
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

I would think that if they was hard enough and loaded 1250 fps or so, they ought to be fine. Seems like they would punch a big deep hole.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master

Blammer what mold is that? What's the COAL?
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Boolit Master

thats one sexy boolit there.

Banned

More meplat, more better.

Banned

that is a bullet from Old West Bullet Moulds, had custom done.

from crimp to top of meplat is .330 as I recall.

If you want this from OWBM just call him and ask for it, the cherry is already done so you won't have to pay that.

Banned
    Out to 50 yards made of a good alloy and driven to potential......I say why the H E double hockey sticks not. A deer is not a tough thing to kill despite what some of the gunraggers would have you believe. You only need so much meplate but more meplat= much more gooder'er right?

Wow, that's a beautiful mold! Three alignment pins? Neat..... Gots to get me one of those some day.
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Boolit Master
    I have wadcutter molds in 38 and 45 caliber. I have used the 38s cast a bit harder and propelled to 900 FPS from a 38 Special to anchor game. Not used the 45 caliber WC on game yet.

The 38 WC hits quite a bit harder then I would have believed.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Moderator Emeritus

If the 311440 is a wadcutter or near to it I shot a couple with the 308.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

In the early 70's I knew a fellow who fed his famly on deer. He sat in a tree stand and shot his deer at 10 to 20 yards all shot behind the ear. Last I knew he had killed 30 deer all with one or two shots and none ever escaped. He shot all his deer with a K38 and standard target wadcutters. It's all where you put the bullet.

Banned

No reason why they should not work. Just like a WLN or WFN, just spin them up right with the proper velocity and they will be accurate.
    I am still up in the air about a meplat being more affective after a certain point. I just see no difference on deer from a WLN to an 82% meplat. I just don't know how to improve the .44!
    Now on the 2 revolvers I have trouble with because one is too fast and the other has too heavy a boolit at the right velocity, (Hard cast) I have increased meplat size and they are still hole punches, there is no change at all and the .500 has a meplat almost as big as a .44 boolit. Both of these guns need expansion.
    I have very quickly moved away that all you need is meplat because velocity is more important to match to the boolit. Outside the range and some expansion is still needed.
    The old saw that a .44 is already as large as an expanded 30 cal does not hold water, doesn't work that way.
    There is something to the "dwell time" theory. However a very slow boolit has a lack of energy.
    A very fast boolit with a large meplat will just move tissue out of the way to a secondary wound channel from the pressure wave off the nose. It can actually move tissue out of the way of damage.
    I am going to stick to the idea it is where energy is placed for the size of the animal and deer, being small, need energy applied sooner. I don't think it matters at all about boolit shape, just make it work. Too slow, speed it up, too fast slow it down OR USE EXPANSION!

Perma-Banned

44 I have to say that I completely disagree, but that is what makes this all so interesting.
    The opportunity to be proven wrong so I don't have to stay that way..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast