Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 444 Marlin + 2400???

Boolit Master

My dad has a '74 vintage Marlin that never gets shot and I have some 2400 and this thread is very interesting to me. Only problem is that my only .44 mold is a Lee 430-310.

Forgot some important information; the 300gr FN-GC is made by Cast Performance and the 325gr FN-GC is from Montana Bullet CO. I'm wondering if I shouldn't go lower with a faster powder and lighter charges?
    Tom Vietnam Vet..........June 66 - Dec 67

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    Only problem is that my only .44 mold is a Lee 430-310.
    Why is that? Cause it drops small? Was thinking that would be a good bullet.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mattd View Post
    Why is that? Cause it drops small? Was thinking that would be a good bullet.
    Only a 'problem' insofar as it's a bit heavy for the 1-38" twist. In theory, anyway. I'll have to load some up and see how they shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    Apparently, that's a myth. Here's beartooth bullets experiments with heavy bullets....http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...h_notes.htm/28
    Be sure to read parts 1 and 2 .

What is your 310 dropping at?

Boolit Master

That's why I said 'in theory'. I don't remember what they weigh; I haven't cast any of them in several months. I do know that they were well over 310, I think closer to 320. I meant to load some back in the spring, and had 100 of them ready to load and lost them. Found them about a week ago hiding in a box of .38 nickel brass.

Apparently, that's a myth. Here's beartooth bullets experiments with heavy bullets....http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...h_notes.htm/28
    Be sure to read parts 1 and 2 .

What is your 310 dropping at?

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry. Meant diameter. Sounds like the 444 is gonna like something big like .432

Boolit Master

Sorry. Meant diameter. Sounds like the 444 is gonna like something big like .432

I don't remember that either! I sized them .430 but before I load any I'll slug the .444 and if needed I'll cast a different batch and maybe not even size them. I never had tried to slug the .444 and was just going to guesstimate, but there's a slug laying 5' from that rifle right now and next chance I get I'm going to measure it.

Boolit Master

Myself and a million others have always thought of .444 as a heavy brush gun,never thought of it as a long range gun.I have never put one to my shoulder and have no expeirence with the weapon.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

I'm still on this .444 long range quest. I forgot to mention that I'll be using
    A C Sharps High Wall, 30" Badger Bbl, tang and globe sights. Just waiting
    For the weather to warm up a bit--- it's -8* here right now.
    Been casting for the Marlin lever gun since I bought it in '70 so
    I have molds, but nothing heavier than the 250gr Keith. I'm thinking I want
    to try something in 300-325gr PP in the High Wall. Any suggestions for molds for that?
    Have never done any Paper Patched before, so I'm learning a lot from this site
    before I jump in up to my eyeballs.
    I do appreciate the input.

I can tell yall one thing. I have 6. .50 caliber rifles. None of them stick it to me like my Marlin .444 does.

Yeah...it will body slam a deer. I've done it. Yes...it kills them with authority and I do mean authority.

But I gotta say that although I'm not overly sensitive to recoil, that thing slams me harder than any other rifle I have ever shot. The .50 BMG's I shoot can't hold a candle to that Marlin when it comes to recoil.

I love that gun. Its accurate. Its a nice looking gun. At the range on a bench rest...6-7 shots and I'm done!
    07/02 FFL
    Maker of fun things to shoot...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Boolit Master
    HotGuns--Have you ever tried a PAST or other brand of "sissy pad" whilst shooting your 444 from the bench?
    A "sissy pad" is my term for a recoil absorbing shoulder pad that works for me with the .444 Marlin, .35 Whelen and 300 RUM from a bench.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

HotGuns
    Twenty odd years ago I could take a whole lot more from the Marlin than I can nowadays.
    I once fired it from prone, at a chuck that was uphill from me. Lesson learned. Instant nose bleed
    and watery eyes! I'm hoping that this Highwall with it's 30" no. 3 Bbl will tame things at least a little bit. I use a Limb Saver shoulder pad, and if that isn't enough I'll get a Lead Sled. This project of mine is about what can be done with the .444 cartridge at long range, not how tough I wanna pretend to be. I'm not sure what it is about that cartridge that punishes us so much, but I suspect its a combination of things. Who knows, maybe I'll stumble onto to something that makes it more pleasant to shoot. Wouldn't THAT be sweet?!!!
    And now I must hurry, for there they go, and I am their leader.

No Brag, Just Fact.
    Walter Brennan - The Guns of Will Sonnet. 1967

i love 2400

i use it in 44 mag 357 mag 308 win and my latest addition 223 its a good powder, cheap and you dont use much of it

Boolit Buddy
    This thread is too good to go by the way side! I loaded up some RP brass, with the 429244 bullet, in 26, 27, and 28g of 2400. same micro groove marlin as the OP, and a similar bullet.

26g
    That first shot is weird, and the rest aren't even close to reported velocities

27g
    Ok, there's that first shot high again. Must be the recoil changing the OAL. I'll load single bullets for the next round.

28g
    Nope, single loading didn't change anything.

Why in the world would the first shot be so consistently high? the first 2 groups I loaded the magazine and worked the lever to load. The last group I loaded individually into an open breech. There was never anything better the 3 inches at 50y, as you might expect from a slow twist and low velocities.

Any ideas?
    My other forum, where I'm building a cabin....http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_3325_0.html#msg48687

Boolit Master
    mattd--As one of the fellas on the Marlin 444 site says,"Velocity is your friend" when it comes to the .444 Marlin with it's 1:38" twist. Contact Alliant before you try working up your load, and be careful, as none of my cast bullet reloading books even shows a loading using 2400 in the .444 Marlin.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Grand Master
    not to Hijack but I use 2400 in my 358 win
    small, small groups
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned
    For what it is worth, I've got a Winchester 94AE in .444, it likes the 310 Lee RNFPGC and Rx7 much better than 2400.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you!

Boolit Mold
    Hi, PB may I ask how one adds an NRA pic below their name on this site??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast