RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What kind of Air Guns do you have?

What kind of Air Guns do you have?

OK guys lets get this thread going by posting pics of your airguns. It doesn't matter how good or how weak or how new or old they are, it's all about shooting bb's and pellets.

Here's my two primary guns.

The one on the left is a Weihrauch HW35 which was the predecessor of the Beeman R1, I just looked the name up to verify spelling and found out they still make the gun, and it looks pretty much the same as mine does but for different wood in the stock. I bought mine in 1976, and it is .177 cal. It is a "Break Barrel Cocker with a breach lock that insures that the barrel repeats it's position every time it is cocked.

The other gun is my Beeman/Weihrauch HW 77 in .22cal. It is an Under Lever gun, meaning there is a lever under the barrel that cocks the gun. Looks like a tube fed .22.

It is my goto "in town varmint rifle" and has accounted for no less than 300 Mocking Birds! My wife bought it for me as a birthday present since the Mocking Birds that I was shooting at with the .177 were getting smarter and staying out of range.

The first death was recorded at an even 40 yards! and many, many, more followed. We lived in town at the time and across the 126 Freeway from the Ventura Govt. Center which was infested with MB's. As soon as I'd kill one, 3 others would show up the next day to claim the territory. They died shortly there after as well. 3-5 a week for many years.

Needless to say I have a deep seated hatred for these creatures, and they are a shoot on sight varmint. I always wondered what they would do if I showed up at the Local Sheriffs station with a bag full of these things. There is a .05 apiece bounty on them that has never been taken off the books in Ventura. Technically they'd have to pay me for them.

Luckily for the species, our place in Ojai has a large population of Blue Jays which keep MB's away completely.

These two guns have many thousands of rounds thru them, they are deadly accurate, and hit hard. A hit on a Dove sized bird at 50 yards is easy off a rest, and I have never had anything fly away after being hit with either of these guns.

Velocity of the .22 is a consistent 625-626 fps, and the .177 is about 700 fps.

Beeman Pellets and H&N Pellets are the best. I somewhere have an Ace of Clubs that has 10 shots thru the same hole that I shot at 33ft in my hallway/living room (when I was single!) and the accuracy of these guns is never in question.

If you miss ,,, then "you" missed, the gun never misses.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-17-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Currently a china side cocker .177
    - the one I miss was a Walther .177 barrel cocker I traded to the preacher for a ceremony that was worth every bit of that old Egyptian training rifle.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Bub
    I have 5 air guns.

Two that are BB guns, one is a recoiling copy of a 1911, the other a Russian machinegun, it shoots 1200 RPM on HPA and has a 400 round magazine and shoots around 625 FPS, it will chew through a 2x4 and it is not your daddy's Daisy.

I have what is said to be the most attractive PCP air rifle made, and incidentally the first FX rifle produced, they were made in grade 3 and grade 4 Walnut, it is the 8 shot 22 FX Tarantula, it is superbly accurate and will group under an inch at 100 yards.

Next is my rifle I used for the 615 yard shot that you have seen a lot of the Haley 257 Scandalous.

And last and most powerful is the Ranger 45 still produced in 45, 58 and rifled 12 gauge with a two year wait.

I make my own air to fill my 4500 PSI tanks, so I am mostly into PCP air rifles and have owned many FX, Air Arms and AirForce rifles, I have only owned one springer, a 100 year old BSA Improved Mdl D, classy rilfe, but it taught me that I don't want a 2nd springer.
    Longest air rifle shot 615 yards on 12 oz soda, 257388/Haley 257 Scandalous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd9GXcrnZrM

Boolit Master
    I really like that tarantula, classic looks in an airgun, I'm a computer/camera putz and don't know how to post pics!

Boolit Bub
    Get a photobucket account and download some. Then I will walk you thru the process.
    Longest air rifle shot 615 yards on 12 oz soda, 257388/Haley 257 Scandalous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd9GXcrnZrM

Does a daisy bb gun count?

Boolit Master
    Sweet ! An air gun section ! Started as a kid with the usual - Daisy lever BB, then a Crosman 760.

Got back into air guns as an adult: Webly Tempest (springer) .177 was first; Baikal 46M .177(single stroke pneumatic) (before the price went thru the roof); and my baby, FWB 300 match (recoilless springer). As a post above said - if you miss, it's YOUR fault lol kids used to shoot empty 22 lr cases at 30 yds .

I have pix of all my "powder" guns - I'll have to take some of these and post.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master

Mod 48 RWS, one of them gamo co2 586 look alikes and a 1377 Crosman.

Boolit Master

Couple of Chinwerkbaows, two under levers and one side lever. The best one recently blew one of the internal seals and I have not built the spring compressor to get it open to find what I need for a replacement

One more underlever (Compasseco 36) that had a pin drop out while i was refinishing the stock and have never figured out the correct location and combo of parts. Best shooting, most power and most accurate of the Chinwerkbaows.

IF Compasseco was still open their were always very helpful and could talk me through it.

Recently bought a Winchester 100/1028? and will have to say a few things about it, but first all the Winchester folks and workers that had anything to do with the trigger on this gun should go to Japan to learn an ancient ritual and then do the honorable thing with a knife.

A cheap PLASTIC trigger the heaviest grittiest trigger pull I have ever touched, it makes a modern chinese SKS feel smooth and light.

Plenty of power and it sure does teach me trigger control and strengthen my trigger finger

Grackles and cowbirds are gone for the season so except for a couple of yard squirrels that I plan to convert to meal for a person I know, all the targets are gone til spring.

Well a Benamin Discovery and Hatsan 44 Long have taken up residence it seems.

Bot 22 and both great shooters.

Air supply makes them somewhat problematic, but they do perform with the pellets they like. Pumping 2000 psi for the Disco is a little effort, but 3000 for the Hatsan gets ones attention.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 04-27-2016 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Overhaul information
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Guys we need pics. Pics make the guns come alive. It takes only a minute to snap a pic of a gun and post it on the thread.

MORE PICS!!! We can't live vicariously thru words.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    My first air rifle was my first gun. Mum bought it for me at a church fete for a couple of dollars. It had a note on it saying that it was broken and couldn't fire. Mum thought that rather than buying me more plastic guns to play with (I was seven at the time and kept breaking them), she could buy this and it would last longer. Just in case, she got dad to look it over before she gave it to me. Dad looked at it, cocked the barrel (it was a break barrel spring piston), pulled the trigger, and the rifle went crack. I still remember thinking "Mum won't let me have that now." Dad took the rifle and I thought that was the end of that. A couple of days later dad grabbed the rifle and lead me into the back yard where he produced a box of pellets. I was so excited fitting a pellet into the rifle was a challenge. Some of my best memories are of my dad sitting (my dad lost his right leg long before I was born and he used to get around on crutches), on a stool in the back yard, cocking that air rifle (it was too much for a 7 year old), then handing it back to me so I could load and fire it. All he got out of it was when his beer ran out, I would have to run up into the house to get him another.That air rifle was a Gecado Model 22.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gecado Mod 22.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	82082

When I was about 13, I came home to find a box on the floor of the lounge room. Being a smart kid (hardly), I knew it wasn't Christmas or my birthday, so I asked "What's that?" My dad, knowing my limitations, replied "It looks like a box." Dad had seen that I had outgrown the Gecado, and bought me a Norica M80.

Name:	Norica M80.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	82083

Compaired to the Gecado, that thing was a bazooka. It was then envy of all my mates. Me and my mates would shoot in our backyards every weekend. We would go through hundreds of pellets (lucky dad was buying them in bulk at K-Mart).

Dad died a couple of years ago and mum told me to go through his shed and take whatever I wanted. I was so happy to find the Gecado in there. It would not be worth $5.00, but I could not sell it for a million dollars.

Sorry for rambling on and on, but like I said, some of my best memories while growing up involved those two air rifles.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Got two:

Crossman 2286, 22cal pistol with snap on butt stock. It has been fully modded.

Sheridan Silver Streak, 20 cal, made in 1973. Rebuild & restored by me a few months ago.

Name:	SheridanRifle4.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	82142
    Last edited by Lead Fred; 09-18-2013 at 07:19 PM.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately I don't have any of the airguns from my youth. I have plans to replace them with reasonable facsimile's at some point, but haven't gotten there yet.

For the time being, here's what I've got

Crosman 120 in .22 caliber:

Name:	crosman.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	82085

Benjamin in .20 caliber (needs a reseal kit..):

Name:	benjamin.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	82086

Gamo shadow express .22 smoothbore air shotgun:

Name:	gamo.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	82087

German pre-war "Tell II" in .177 caliber:

Name:	tell2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	82088

And a Tranquilizer gun in .50 caliber rifled:

Name:	tranq.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	82089

The Tell II is an interesting air pistol, being only a little over 5" long with the spring piston surrounding the barrel. One was apparently found on a captured german sub in WWII. I've had fun shooting my example with .177 darts.

The Gamo air rifle uses little plastic shot "shells" that are fairly easily reload able. I have a lifetime supply of #12 shot, and find that it gives better patterns than the factory loaded shells with #9, range is limited anyways, so I load the shells with #12. It will also shoot a .22 pellet, but I have only done so a few times, since I have the crosman that shoots them more accurately.

The TRanquilizer gun was purchased on a whim. I have darts, but have never fired it. It uses 2 of the 12 gram CO2 cartridges to fire the darts.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Buddy
    I started out in 1978 with a Sheridan C...and in '06 got back into things with a 5mm Diana 34. Then that languished for a while and I got another 5mm springer, the Beeman RX2 and things took off. I replaced my old 'Dan with another, and sent it off to Tim McMurray for the full Steroid treatment, including the extended pump arm. That puppy makes reliable cloverleaves at 30 yards and used it for FT competition. Then I got a 22 Marauder and it was Game On! Then a 25 Marauder...and things got even more silly. The 25 is now shooting 50 gr cast boolits at 95 FPE, and there is more to be had in terms of both efficiency and power. I built an adapter to fit a 500cc tank to replace the airtube( I like the bottle gun look ). The bottle kit should be done soon, and the next ones will get in on that action also...not to mention a few other dedicated AG nuts.

The 22 cal will get a significant make-over too with a TJ Hornet liner in .224 and a powerplant as big as the 25's. I am at 6 molds and counting, three in each caliber with more to come as I find them. Once I get the 22's powerplant sorted, the 25 will likely turn into a .257 as I head for 140 FPE and maybe a 400 yard pop can. I have also built a light Marauder in 20 cal with a LW barrel. It makes 65, 20 FPE shots and is deadly in FT and BR competitions when I am doing well enough to match its capability. Then I need another 25 for use with pellets...lol And....
    cheers,
    Douglas
    1990 D250, NV5600, Luk 05-101, 16cm housing, TST Kit KDP tab, 366 spring, Powr-Lok'd 3.07, HX35...IC soon
    She wasn't built to travel at the speed a rumour flies

Boolit Master

My tack driver is this RWS 75 that I just recently had rebuilt. I literally shoot flies off the back fence at 50 feet with it...

Name:	RWS.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	82110

My hunting rifle is my Benjamin Discovery. Its killed more squirrels and rats than I can count. It will probably be replaced next year with a Marauder .25...

Name:	112566177.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	82111

Boolit Master
    First I want to thank the powers that be for adding this airgun section! Sorry I don't have a picture of my first and only air gun but it was a crossman 760 pump that shot shot bb and 177 pellets. I have no idea how many sparrows fell to it but in all honesty I learned to shoot and hunt with that gun. I traded it for a bike after I got access to a 22. I want to get another air rifle and I am all ears. I have been entertaining liquidating some of the herd and major on air power.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Buddy
    I thought I was safe from D75 pics...now I am getting the 'I want one' shakes again...lol Those things are just too much fun.
    cheers,
    Douglas
    1990 D250, NV5600, Luk 05-101, 16cm housing, TST Kit KDP tab, 366 spring, Powr-Lok'd 3.07, HX35...IC soon
    She wasn't built to travel at the speed a rumour flies

Moderator Emeritus

I've owned alot of the chinese stuff, and a few others...all sold now, except these two pictured below.
    one .177 and the other .22 RWS Diana mod. 54 Air King, recoilless.
    once I shot one of these, I started selling all the others.

Dime sized 10 shot groups at 20 yards...Off hand.
    If I hit the hard part of a squirrel's skull at over 20 yards with a 22 cal CrowMagnum pellet, it won't penetrate, but it'll make quite a "slapping" sound...and dead squirrel !

I bought the .177 new in about 1994, added the bushnell sportview air rifle AO scope and the minimag light setup...enough light for a scope in the dead of night for a 20 yard shot...longer distance if the critter's eyes light up.

a couple years later I seen this used .22 with Burris 3x9x40 advertised in a small personal ad [at about 1/3 of new $$, minus the scope] in "shotgun news" or "gunlist". I called the same day the paper arrived. I bet that guy was swamped with calls.

Here is closeup of maglight switch and mount.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Attachment 82121

Gamo .177, keeping my ears open on what .22 to buy. Had a lot of fun learning to do the snakeskin paint job. Accuracy is ok, but, I have to wonder just how accurate a break-barrel can be.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

A Crosman Vantage and a Feinwerkbau, both .177.
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast