Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just waiting on a phone call about my grandfather...

Boolit Master

Just waiting on a phone call about my grandfather...

My grandfather will be passing to the other side shortly...

Kenneth Gowman, 92 years old. WWII Vet, don't know where he served for sure, he never really talked about it.

I was able to take the family on a trip to MI about 2 months ago, and spent some time with him. He no longer knew me, alzheimers has taken quite a toll. I was able to get some nice pictures with him and the family.

I heard from my mother today that along with the pneumonia that he went into the hospital for yesterday, he has an infection in his blood, and his kidneys are shutting down. The decision has been made to treat him for pain only.

He is a father to 4, and a grandfather to 8, with 12 great-granchildren, and 2 on the way.

Last year, when my mother went to see him, she brought back his old Lufkin micrometer, from when he worked tool and die... Not much monetary value, but it will always mean the world to me.

I did notice that his old bring-back rifle is chambered in 6.5 Jap, so I'm pretty sure he served in the Pacific theater.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings, if you knew him, you knew a gentle, quiet man full of greatness.

He will surely be missed.

Brandon
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Well said Sweetpea. Stay strong and be the rock.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Moderator Emeritus

If you can locate his unit or his service number you might get some good clues....just contact the service branch and they might be able to help.....good hunting.....keeping you and your family in my prayers......

In Remembrance

Many vets from WW 2 rarely talked about what they may have been involved in, my brother included. He was with Pattons 3rd armored in the Bastogne relief of the Bulge. All my brother would talk about were the days in England before going to Europe on D plus 14. Glad to hear about the mic you have that was used in his trade days and I agree on the value you set on it.Robert

Boolit Bub

I am grateful that people like your grandfather gave us the opportunity to have the lives we have today.

Any chance you can post of a pic of your grandfather and/or the mic?

Dad served in 'nam and did not say ONE WORD about the experience except for, "It was lonely". That's it.

He passed from organ failure a month ago. You're a good man to share this with us.

I'll say a prayer with the kids tonight for your Grand Dad's soul to pass peacefully.

Paul
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4271.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	81991

This is from 2 months ago when we went to visit.

Brandon
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Great photo. You'll cherish it for the rest of your days.
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Perma-Banned

priceless picture brandon, they quit making that model of man many years ago.
    he has all my respect.
    craig

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Thanks for sharing this with us Sweetpea. My father in law never spoke of his WW2 experiences until I returned home from Viet Nam and then only when I asked something of him.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    My wife's grandfather was in WWII and a POW in the European theater. He has opened up a little to me and told me some stories. That is a VERY rare occurance from him or his son, my dadinlaw who was in Vietnam. They came back and started working ad got on with their lives. But the stuff is still there down deep. I feel honored to know both of them and hear a little of their lives back then. Her grandfather is 94. They didn't expect him to live more than a month when he was liberated from the prison camp!

He will never be gone as long as you have memory. Pass those memories on to another generation and he will be around even for a longer time. I tell my kids the stories about my Grandfather, his father and his father before him. Take time to look up your Grandfathers war history to pass on to your kids. You can get his service record and from there know where he was and what he did in WWII.

My best to you and yours and you walk though this passing of a great man.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Weddle View Post
    Likely everything about him is in you. It carries on in personality, traits, quirks, likes, dislikes, temper, looks. You just weren't born in the 1920's.
    Pure truth Bill...pure truth. Thanks for reminding us all about that.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Hang in there and know he'll be in a better place Sweetpea.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

That picture tugged at the heart some, thank you for sharing.
    Keep the memories and hold onto what is dear to you.

Sam
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master
    That picture said it all Sir, I have one just like it of my Gran dad and I. I know how you feel, but he will live on in you and all the heart he touched. I know mine does.

Boolit Master
    If your family has the desire, speak to the funeral home director and arrange for an honor guard when the time comes. I was unable to do that for my father when he passed, and I do regret it.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Prayers and best wishes for you and yours in this difficult time.
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Contact your local V A,V F W or American Legion and tell them his history.

Yes they quit that model many years ago.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master
    Sweetpea---Gail and I wish to extend our prayers and sympathy to you and to your family in this sorrowful time. We will pray that your Grandfather's passing be peaceful, and ask for comfort for you and your's.
    R.D.M.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast