Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Best Off-Hand Shot With A Cast Boolit In A Revolver...

My Best Off-Hand Shot With A Cast Boolit In A Revolver...

We all have had one of those "Wow! Did I really manage to pull that off?" shots w/ a cast boolit in a revolver.

This is the thread to tell the story. Please describe the circumstances, distance, gun, boolit, load, etc.

I'll begin...

Couple of years back I got one of the limited (5000 piece run) of S&W Model 625, stainless 4" tapered barrel, black sights, Mountain Guns, .45 Long Colt.

I was already casting the Lee 452-230-TC, single lube-groove, bevel-base Boolit (6-Cavity mold) for my .45 auto. I loaded that boolit in front of 9 grains of Herco, Wolf standard primer, Winchester .45 Long Colt brass. I know that Boolit is really an auto boolit. but I had a bunch sized, lubed, so I loaded them up.

I drove to the range and pulled up @ the centerfire Silhouette range. There was this young (20's) couple there. The guy was showing the woman how w/ his poly-frame semi-auto gun that he could hit the 25 yard steel targets.

I was about 15 yards to the right. I put 5 rounds in the S&W, pointed it @ one of the rams, a full 220 yards away. I raised the front blade until it was well above the top of the ram and fired single action.

There was a faint "clank" sound in the distance. We all looked and the ram slowly fell over!

The young couple, both their mouths fell open and their eyes were the size if dinner plates! I just gave a faint smile. I was thinking to myself: YOU DOG! YOU LUCKY DOG!

I switched to the easy 100 yard plates after that. Ray Charles could bang those over every time.

After they left, I tried the 220 yard plates again. I was able to hit them, but not take any more of them down. The load was light and @ 220 yards, almost out of power. I think on that first one, I must have just hit the top and 100% of the energy was expended on the plate; taking it over.

There's my story. Let's here your stories now.
    Last edited by enfieldphile; 08-16-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    A couple months ago I was over at the Daughters shooting with 2 of my Grandsons. One of the G-sons had hung two clays on a piece of plywood at a range of about 100 yards. I picked up my M64 Smith loaded with a RCBS 38-150SWC, lined up, elevated the muzzle a bit & pulled the trigger. Much to my surprise the clay I was "aiming" at busted I was going to hand off the gun to the 9yo, but he was awe struck & still looking downrange at where the clay used to be. I haven't tried the shot since!

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

My youngest son. Was 9 at the time. Handed him my 25-5, and was going to let him shoot it at a 15 yard target. A fly landed on the target, so I told him to hit the fly. He did. And to top it all off, that was the first round he EVER fired through that revolver.

Boolit Master
    I was at a local 3 Gun match last year. We just got done with a 115-120yd rifle stage that involved steel plates. A few of us had been jaw jacking about try the steel from that distance with our pistols, so a few of us decided to try. At this time, not many of my buddies knew, I had already done a good bit of 100yd handgun work with my heavier revolvers.
    The 1st guy steps up with a 1911 .45 and pops off 3 rds but misses all 3.
    I stepped up with my Glock 24 with XS sights, a 155gr RN cast, and rang the plate on the first shot. I was quite suprised myself especially from that gun. The other heckled me a bit saying "I bet you can't do that again...." I politely said "I wasn't sure but you are more than welcome to try...." and proceeded to hand them my unloaded G24. Nobody took my offer.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Some years ago while at the range with my brother, we put up 2 round sticky circles about the size of a silver dollar up at 50yds. I took the first shot with my 1904 Colt .45 New Service, just lined up the sights at 6 O'clock and squeezed one off. The Ideal 454424 smacked the circle almost dead center! He dropped the magazine from his Gold Cup, racked the slide and said I cheated, using a gun sighted in at the factory for 50yds! I'm glad I didn't have to repeat the shot!

In the last year I've become enamored with big bore single actions, specifically chambered in .44 Special. I shoot quite a lot and in fact just walked in the house from an evening 30 round session. I usually shoot offhand at 50 yds at a steel target and am happy just to hear the "clank" of the bullet hitting. A few weeks ago I was shooting my tried and true Uberti like I usually do and in this particular 5-shot string all of them hit the target, not too unusual, but as I approached the target to paint it saw this:

Good enough!

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

On a dare, I had one round left in my Smith 14-2 K-38, 6" barrel. There was a broken piece of a clay target about the size of a silver dollar up on the bank about 60 yards away. I had one shot and had to shoot it one handed, with my left hand!
    I'm a righty by the way. Pulled the hammer back, aim, sent the 158 grain SWC flying and connected! lol
    Sure I could never do it again!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master
    I broke a clay pigeon on the 100 yard line with my old 6 inch Colt Python.

I was being heckled by a friend of mine who was a real 1911 fan. He was teasing me about my low capacity, slow to reload, archaic firearm, and bragging on Browning's wondergun. I lined up the front sight with top of the little orange dot, cocked the hammer, and let fly with one round. That Speer 146 grain half jacketed SWC HP blew that pigeon to smithereens. I turned to him and said, "you don't need a bunch of bullets, if you can hit what you aim at."

I wouldn't have tried another shot for a hundred bucks--cause I doubt I could have made it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Banned

Brother in law and myself were tracking a 6 point buck my son gut shot. It was dark and he was carrying a light and i had my 500 linebaugh in my holster. My brother in law all of of sudden said theres eyes and we could see them at about 60 yards. The deer jumped up and took off running straight away from us. Brother in law had the light on it. I quickly drew my 500 and just took a hail mary shot and dropped it right in its tracks. I dont even remember aiming and doubt i did. I hit it right in the but hole. I saw the deer fold and my brother in law looked at me and i holstered the gun like it was no big deal. He still tells all his friends about my matt dillion shooting ability. Told him later it was nothing but pure stinking luck but he still thinks im a pistol God of some kind.

Boolit Master

My Dads 357mag Ruger Blackhawk, the one that I brag to all my shooting buddies on it's accuracy. We were shooting at various targets ranging from steel plates to bowling pins to grapes at various yardages with rifles and handguns. I had one cylinder of 357's left and most of the targets were down. My buddy said, hit the bowling pin in the tire track(150yds). I picked up, aimed, bang--thump rolled it up the hill and it rolled back. Again, bang-- thump rolled up rolled back. 4 out of 5 shots hit and rolled it up the hill. The 6th shot hit under the pin in the mud, bounced the pin upward and stood it back up in the tire track like we set it there. I just turned, smiled and said to my buddies " OK, your turn". I wish I could have kept a straight face when I said it.
    Every shot you get in life counts

About 30-some years ago a few of my high school buddies and I took a "long lunch" away from campus and ended up at the local river bustin bottles and cans with 22's. (Remember when we could take guns to school as long as you kept them in your truck?) I had my "extremely inaccurate" 45 cal percussion muzzleloader pistol that I finished from a CVA kit. If you stuck your finger in the end of the barrel and shot the gun, you would miss hitting your finger 4 out of 5 shots, it was that bad. Anyway, my friends wanted to shoot it. I loaded it up and was going to shoot it first to show them how cool I looked at the time. The river was bank full and there was a lot of wood and other debris floating down the river at a pretty fast clip. I said "see that tree floating down the river about 50 yards away?" I pointed the gun somewhat in the direction of the floating tree and fired. I couldn't see for the smoke, but the others saw me shoot off the only leaf left on a little branch sticking straight up in the air from a moving target 50 yards away! Of course I acted like that was normal and reloaded it for them again and again just to watch them to fail again and again. I never shot that pistol again, should have sold it on-site to one of those suckers. I found that gun just last weekend stuck down in a box of stuff. It still looks good.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    At one of our BPCR shoots, some of us were playing with our revolvers during lunch break. We were shooting at the 950 yard target. After we walked the shots in, we could put one or two on the target for each cylinder. Lots of luck involved, for sure. I remember aiming two mountain ridges over, and aiming at the top of a lone pine tree on the ridge to be on.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I once was shooting at the range sighting in a rifle at 100 yards and while looking thru the spotting scope I saw a fly land on the target.

I picked up my S&W M29 and sent a round downrange nailing the fly and this was verified by my friend who was spotting and the fly guts all over the target.

I'm so FOS!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Pig hunting with my super redhawk with a 2x leupold on it. I had a small boar coming past me on a sendero about 25 yards away as I sat up against a tree. I put a round through his ribs and he jumped straight up and when he hit the grounf he was headed right for me! I had no time to think and all I remember was seeing his forehead in the scope and I pulled the trigger. He dropped and slid to a stop about 30 feet away. I dont think he was intentionally charging me but Im sure glad I got that lucky shot off.

It was a .44 mag loaded with H110 and the Lee 310 grain gas checked boolit
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Grand Master

Must have been over 40 years ago, but I saw my brother with a 357 double action colt kill a p-dog at a bit over 200 yds. Took him 3-4 shots to walk it in, and he shot laying down Kieth style with his gun hand along side of his knee. Only tried it once at that range. He also took a few at under 100 with 2-3 walk them in shots.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

Was shooting the Model 30 I frame Smith in .32 S&W-L the other day at just paper targets and fired off 6 it a tight little cluster at around 15+ yds. Went to check on the target and found that 4 went in one ragged hole and the other 2 were stacked one on top of the other off to the left. Couldn't do it again (I tried), told my Dad "I guess I got all the wiggling just right between shots. There are other shots, but that one is of most recent memory.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Just last week at our place in VT we had a little gathering and a fellow was rightly showing off a new Ruger in .357 MAG and getting a little boastful about his abilities (albeit making the shots to back the claims) He got a little above himself and started trying to shoot clays tossed in the air (with a high bank behind it - no fliers) about 10 yards out. He couldn't hit one. When the sixth went up, he shot and missed. Before it hit the ground, I broke it with a .454 round ball from my 1858 Remington cap and ball over 30 grs Swiss. Cool as can be, I holstered the revolver and walked back up to the house through the smoke without saying a word.

The next day when everyone had left, I shot 24 times at clays tossed up in the same place and distance. I couldn't touch one of them.

Boolit Grand Master

Like the lettering on the pregnant ladies tee shirt says "poo-poo occurs"!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Buddy
    Last fall I was shooting with a buddy at his place, and we quite ambitiously set clay pigeons way out to hit with rifles hoping we would have a chance at them.

After awhile I pulled out my 1911 Kimber and started having a go at some of the closer pigeons out to 50 yards. Decent success rate. But then it occurred to me that I had never shot handguns past about 50 yards ever.

There were two pigeons left at 150 yards, measured with a wheel. I told my buddy I was gonna see if I could walk one in. Now this was standing, with handloads, I shot and let each one surprise me. After a few shots I had walked it in pretty close with clods of mud flying up. Maybe a foot or foot and a half radius from the pigeon so I knew how to hold for elevation, not too much wind.

Suddenly after about 2 magazines, it exploded and disappeared! I jumped up and down like I had won some Olympic event. Told him what happened and we walked out there. Sure enough, just little pieces left. What a way to burn some ammo! Fun stuff.

Dan

Boolit Buddy
    Last fall I was shooting with a buddy at his place, and we quite ambitiously set clay pigeons way out to hit with rifles hoping we would have a chance at them.

After awhile I pulled out my 1911 Kimber and started having a go at some of the closer pigeons out to 50 yards. Decent success rate. But then it occurred to me that I had never shot handguns past about 50 yards ever.

There were two pigeons left at 150 yards, measured with a wheel. I told my buddy I was gonna see if I could walk one in. Now this was standing, with handloads, I shot and let each one surprise me. After a few shots I had walked it in pretty close with clods of mud flying up. Maybe a foot or foot and a half radius from the pigeon so I knew how to hold for elevation, not too much wind.

Suddenly after about 2 magazines, it exploded and disappeared! I jumped up and down like I had won some Olympic event. Told him what happened and we walked out there. Sure enough, just little pieces left. What a way to burn some ammo! Fun stuff.

Dan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast