WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 358429

Boolit Master

Lyman 358429

Just wondering if the S&W 686 will hold up to shooting a steady diet of this bullet.I plan on using between 12 to 13 gr of 2400.

Boolit Master

I shot a 586 yrs ago & after the first loosening of the ejector rod & screws , then cleaning & loctiting em all It was good to go!

That load should get ya in the 1200fps range & I`ve shot a bunch at 12.5 grs.

& that load will knock holes in `bout anything if placed rite .
    GP100man

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree. I use a lot more #358156 than #358429 in my 686 x 4", but the loads you propose are well within the safe service range of the revolver. I have launched thousands of #358156 from L-frame 357s using 13.5 grains of 2400, for 25+ years. It is a current-spec SAAMI-level load, and the 586/686 can digest loads running 7500 PSI over current SAAMI specs.......if fact, it was specifically intended for just that purpose, a lifetime of 42K PSI load work.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Good to know, I thought it would be fine but just wanted some first hand information.I never try to shoot the hottest loads. I am interested in accuracy.Will be using the 358429 mostly for informal silhouette shooting.

Boolit Grand Master
    FWIW, the 13.5 grains of 2400 under #358156 gives 1235 FPS (mean) from the 4" 686. CCI 500 primers light the way, and W-W brass contains the mess. Performance and ballistics closely match my agency's old service load (replaced 2-3 years ago) the 158 grain JHP/W-W 357 Mag.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay M View Post
    Just wondering if the S&W 686 will hold up to shooting a steady diet of this bullet.I plan on using between 12 to 13 gr of 2400.
    Isn't the 358429 too long to fit in your cylinder...I have a Model 27 and it is a bit too long to work.

Boolit Master

I've been shooting the 358429 since 1970, it's my favorite bullet for max .357 loads. While the classic 13.5/2400 is a good load with that bullet IMO max loads of 296/H110 are just a tad better. Using 15-15.5/296 I get better accuracy and a bit more velocity than 2400. As far as the length of the bullet I just taper crimp it on the front drive band and use it in my GP 100 Ruger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RSCN3471.jpg  
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    The only way to get the cartridge OAL below 1.590 seems to be crimp over the front driving band as stated in the Lyman manual.

Boolit Grand Master
    Both the K-frame and L-frame S&W 357 Magnums use longer cylinders than the N-frame 357s, a curiosity FINALLY addressed by the L-frames in 1980. S&W's prior 357s lacked sufficient cylinder length or frame strength to be considered fully viable 357 Magnums. After 45 years, they got it completely correct in Springfield, MA. Not long after that, they started chambering J-FRAMES in 357 Magnum. I truly do not understand the company, at all. Now, it's MIM parts and glory holes.

Boolit Master
    I have a J frame .357 as well. It is a deadly piece for self defense.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, and it kills on both ends. The 357's mean product pressure was down-graded from 42K PSI to 36K PSI to accomodate those little hand-biters, as well. Stupidity atop stupidity, in my view.

Boolit Grand Master

Which dash model ? A straight 686 or up to about 686-3 or so will eventually
    peen the cylinder pivot sleeve (part of the crane) and need to be "stretched" by a gunsmith
    after maybe 5000 hot loads. Later dash numbers (and I am NOT at all sure when the change
    occurred) have a harder alloy and have no significant problem. Never happened
    with 586s.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

I like the 12.5 gr. load with that blt in both my Blackhawk and my 94 Win.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

I like the .358-429 in my NMBH over 13gr. Hercules 2400.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Do any of you roll crimp on the edge of the front driving band, or use a taper crimp die ?

Boolit Master
    Been using that bullet since the 60's & taken a lot of different game with it. 90% of my loads are in 38 special brass, using 2400 powder. Not quite as accurate as the #358156 GC but I don't like using GC's in sixguns.
    My most memorable shot with it was on a running jackrabbit, it was after dark & we were driving down a backroad when he bailed out of the ditch, my son swerved to the left as I hung out the window of his suburban. The Keith slug nailed him (luck) at full speed & he rolled 30 feet. My grandson was sitting on a 4 wheeler on the trailer we were pulling & seen the whole show, he was whooping & hollering when we rolled to a stop for photo's. Great bullet.

Dick

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Clay M View Post
    Do any of you roll crimp on the edge of the front driving band, or use a taper crimp die ?
    See post #7(taper crimp). Have been doing it that way for about 40 years. I believe it aids accuracy by placing the front drive band in the throat for better alignment.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately everyone seem to be out of the taper crimp seater die.I put one on back order.

Boolit Grand Master
    Your present sizing die can do good work as a taper-crimp die--adjust its depth appropriately, remove the decapping assembly, and you can be good to go.

I have a STRONG aversion to taper-crimping and boolit-seating at the same time. You're asking for varying OALs, inconsistent crimps, and (if overdone) reduced boolit diameter.

Boolit Master
    I will take the seating stem out of the taper crimp and use it in a minimal way.I don't believe roll crimping would be very effective on the front edge of the first driving band.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast