Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need .308 200gr H4895 starting load

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    You completely missed my point about reducing full metal jacket loads to cast boolit velocities and pressures.

I already knew that point. That was not the question I was asking so I didn't care. I wanted to know the starting point for a M1A that would be below where the gun works. That was all I wanted. I can manage the rest on my own for now. This is a learning process for me but that is all I need/wanted at this time. Trying to avoid too many trips to the range and too many test bullets that are wasted primers and powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado4wheel View Post
    This is a learning process for me but that is all I need/wanted at this time. Trying to avoid too many trips to the range and too many test bullets that are wasted primers and powder.
    There are no shortcuts in load development. A major part of load development is reading, studying and learning the processes. When you started out, you didn't have a min. or max. load listing for the powder of choice. How do you know where to go from there? You basicly said "Give me......" and are ready to start running. There is much more to cast boolit load development than that. You still have to deal with boolit alloy BHN, lubes and a host of other factors. Like I said before, best wishes as you go forward.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Jeez. Just because I didn't mention it doesn't mean I don't know about it as part of.the process. Let it go.

Jeez. Just because I didn't mention it doesn't mean I don't know about it as part of.the process. Let it go.
    Duly noted. Just FYI, my replies aren't only intended for you, but also for others to learn from as they read and study the topics in the forum, during their quest for knowledge.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Truly amazing.

I forgot the question????????
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gandydancer View Post
    I forgot the question????????
    What was a good starting point for a 200 gr lead bullet in 308. I have already loaded the first test batch. As soon as I can make it to the range I will see how they do.

Boolit Master

Guys , if you ask a question and get a response or several there is no sense in getting mad at someone giving advice or pointing you in the right direction irregardless of how its done. Questions and answers are what makes this forum operate. There is info here and in manuals and on searches all over the internet so i suggest you use all the resources at your disposal to come up with a solution to your query.
    Lets keep it civil...
    Rich
    Rich
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

There is no Lead 200gr in my 2ñd edition. Jacketed yes. 38gr starting. I knew that was way to high.
    One of the beautiful things about using H4895 (AR2206H for us Australians - it is made here) is there are two safe ways of reducing it. The Lee 1grain reduction factor which gets you ballpark.
    The other safe factory suggestion is from Hodgdon - they state it is safe to reduce any max load for jacketed by up to 60% of that load. For information on this google hodgdon youth loads. This only applys to H4895! So two safe ways to use reduced H4895 jacketed data for cast. I have done this with 30-30 and 35 whelen when i could not find cast data but only jacketed.
    Last edited by sthwestvictoria; 09-21-2013 at 06:18 AM.
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Master
    I fired them today. From 24gr to 31 gr. Had a couple failures below 27gr. But only 2 out of about 30. I was not shooting at a real range so I had a horrible shooting position. I will test for accuracy later. To me 27gr is a good starting point. It ejected those rounds like normal and seem more like a real rifle at that point. Below that was really soft and had an occasional one that didn't seem to seal the chamber well and created a really black case.
    ZERO leading. No issues with the gas port either. For round one I am pleased. Now time to really get to work and test some more.

A good starting point. I did find H4895 position sensitive a lower loadings(this was the more voluminous 35 whelen case). I don't know enough to use dacron so I just kept increasing the charge until until groups started to shrink. I don't recall having this problem with the 30-30. Now I have a chronograph and I can check for velocity fluctuations.
    ars longa, vita brevis

Hope this helps. I am using 43 gr IMR 4895 under a 200 gr Lyman 311335 GC cast of 3 to 1 WW & lino. Win LR primers, Federal brass, and 2.860 OAL. This is fired in a Rem 700VS 308 w/ 26" bull bbl. Chrono vel is 1858 fps at 843 ' elevation. The 100 yard groups are 1 3/16 for 7 shots.

Banned

You need to check your chrono. That should be about 2400fps.

Can a chrono be that far out? I've had what seemed like really low readings, that when other readings were believable, like 22lr subsonic clocking 1050 fps repeatedly.

I've just learned about H4895 (AR2206H to us).
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Grand Master

I am assuming there is a mistake on Bull Shoals load; 43 gr IMR 4895 in a .308W case is case capacity and is probably a heavy overload for a 200 gr bullet, even a cast one. Using 28 - 32 gr IMR 4895 with or even w/o a Dacron filler will give the said 1858 fps out of a 26" barrel.

Larry Gibson

Larry, Thanks for keeping me on my toes. You are right, after rechecking my data I found it was 34 gr not 43. I guess at 72 I am a little cross-eyed.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bull Shoals View Post
    Larry, Thanks for keeping me on my toes. You are right, after rechecking my data I found it was 34 gr not 43. I guess at 72 I am a little cross-eyed.
    Bull

No problem, happens to all of us. ........

Larry Gibson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12