Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need .308 200gr H4895 starting load

Boolit Master

Need .308 200gr H4895 starting load

Anyone have a good starting point for my M1A

Not with H 4895, but with AA 2230 & H 335 and the RCBS 200 Sil.
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado4wheel View Post
    Anyone have a good starting point for my M1A
    Manual???????
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Manual???????

If it was in my manuals I wouldn't be asking.

Banned

28gr 1/2gr dacron.

I started with 21.0 AA 2230 with the 200 gn RCBS Sil. & 311299 cast from WW & water dropped.
    The RCBS drops at .310 and the 311299 was lubed & sized .311
    Cycling was slow.
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

29g just cycles my FN FAL and Saiga 308.NO filler and good with 160 to 200g bullets.About 2 MOA accuracy with not alot of work.

George
    Last edited by HARRYMPOPE; 09-14-2013 at 06:59 PM.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

If it was in my manuals I wouldn't be asking.
    Then you need another manual.
    It's readily listed here, in "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 41AZZs-v6sL__SL500_AA300_.jpg  

Also, with 10 minutes of google, I was able to find some more H4895 load data using a 200 gr. bullet. Just saying. I believe it's best to do the research before accepting random loads with a given powder.

Boolit Master
    I have that manual. I will look again.

Not many manuals have starting loads for operating 308 gas guns and cast bullets WILCO.Asking here is a not a bad place to start.I rarely refer to load manuals any longer.I know the basic ranges for the cartridges i shoot with low to mid range cast bullet stuff with the 4 or 5 powders i use.I have 3 Little Dandy's set up with charges i make work with many of them.I do it reverse of others.I pick a power charge and see hat i can get it to shoot in..I wont give out loads data of the top of my head to others though.

George
    Last edited by HARRYMPOPE; 09-14-2013 at 10:45 PM.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    28gr 1/2gr dacron.
    That's the right answer or if you want start at 26 gr and work up........no sense re-inventing the wheel.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    There is no Lead 200gr in my 2ñd edition. Jacketed yes. 38gr starting. I knew that was way to high. I really didn't appreciate your "get a manual" comment as I am a little beyond the need for a lecture from you. Then to have you tell me to use Dr. Google instead is even sillier. I trust the people on this forum way more then Dr. Google. All I wanted was a starting load for lead in a M1A. Something that didn't work the action so that I could work it up to a decent point that did work the action before a made a bigger batch to fine tune it and chrono. I only trust enough to use this as a partial verification of how low I can start. Not how I I can ultimately push it.

There is no Lead 200gr in my 2ñd edition. Jacketed yes. 38gr starting. I knew that was way to high….
    Page 147 of Modern Reloading, 2nd edition.
    Listed under the following: “.308 Winchester Cast Bullet Loads”.

I really didn't appreciate your "get a manual" comment as I am a little beyond the need for a lecture from you.
    I’m not interested in lecturing. I only wish to educate.
    Getting another manual was mentioned because the pertinent information is listed in the title I referenced.

Then to have you tell me to use Dr. Google instead is even sillier. I trust the people on this forum way more then Dr. Google.
    Google was mentioned because it can lead you right to the source of solid reputable information from the manufactures. Like this link here:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

While the good folks of Castboolits.com know a great many things, they are not the manufactures of powders. You’re much better off trusting the likes of Hodgon, IMR and Winchester when seeking load data.

There is no Lead 200gr in my 2ñd edition. Jacketed yes. 38gr starting. I knew that was way to high….
    It really doesn’t matter if it’s full metal jacket data, because if you read your Modern Reloading, 2nd Edition thoroughly, you would know that on page 157, it tells how to safely calculate reduced loads for lead bullets. The 1st Edition has a formula to reduce powders using simple high school math. Also, the LEE Shooter program has the ability to do this, though it works best with Windows XP.

All I wanted was a starting load for lead in a M1A. Something that didn't work the action so that I could work it up to a decent point that did work the action before I made a bigger batch to fine tune it and chrono. I only trust enough to use this as a partial verification of how low I can start. Not how I can ultimately push it.
    You cannot walk before you crawl. It’s dangerous to endeavor a task without fully understanding the parameters of the specific load data and powder to be reduced.

One thread reply mentioned Dacron. What do you know of “Fillers”?

Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    Not many manuals have starting loads for operating 308 gas guns and cast bullets.
    You have a valid point George, and as I’ve mentioned before, I’m not interested in lecturing. I only wish to educate. I’m a major proponent of studying manuals and gaining a solid foundation of the basics before one attempts to go forward with the more technical tasks in load development. As we have seen in this thread, the OP is searching for load data, took issue with my replies and ended up having the answers he sought all along. His only roadblock to success was his failure to read and comprehend the information he has at his disposal. That is both disheartening and scary, as it seems to be the more recent trend with a whole new batch of “Reloaders” coming on scene.

Colorado4wheel, best wishes as you go forward.

Boolit Master
    The internet site from Hodgon gives 35.5gr at 2250 fps.

I did not expect Lee to have a separate LEAD only data section of their manual. That was helpful thanks for pointing that out. I read that manual 6 years ago and remember his comments but forgot his having that data in the earlier part of the book. His comments are one reason I even considered loading lead in my m1a.

The rest of your post is pure "I know better then you and your wasting my time by posting on this forum and not finding the answer on your own" You may not think that is how you come across but it surely is in my opinion and your comments could have prevented other good folks from helping me. Forums are meant to be helpful not "Learn how to search you idiot". What I wanted (and got)was the starting load some people used that was really light in the m1a. Something that was below most book and didn't really run the gun. I had researched and thought it would be in the high 20gr range but now I know I will start even a little lower.

Feel 100% free to put me on your ignore list.
    Last edited by Colorado4wheel; 09-15-2013 at 12:33 PM.

The internet site from Hodgon gives 35.5gr at 2250 fps.
    You completely missed my point about reducing full metal jacket loads to cast boolit velocities and pressures.

That's okay though, maybe somebody else will read this thread and go "AAAAAaaaaggghhhh, that's what I can do".

The rest of your post is pure "I know better then you and your wasting my time by posting on this forum and not finding the answer on your own" Feel 100% free to put me on your ignore list.
    Sorry you took my information that way. I don't have an ignore list.
    Best wishes as you move forward.
    Last edited by WILCO; 09-15-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Boolit Master

I use 40grains of 4831 under a gas checked 200 grain lead boolit.These were cast in a Lyman mold that drops them at .311. My old 742 jamamatic.3006 shoots them less than a size of a quarter at 75 yards.I don't have a chronograph but estimate them around 1850 to 2000 fps.The old gal functions good and no signs of high pressure and the recoil is not heavy.

Boolit Grand Master

Read posts #5 and 12 again; that is the answer for H4895 and a starting load under a 200 gr cast bullet for the M1A in 7.62 NATO.

Larry Gibson

When using data from Lee's book, one should bear in mind that he used data for jacketed bullets to extrapolate the reduced loads from. Expect lower pressures and higher velocities than what he shows when loading with cast.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Read posts #5 and 12 again; that is the answer for H4895 and a starting load under a 200 gr cast bullet for the M1A in 7.62 NATO.

Larry Gibson
    Got it. I was listening when you said that. I am going to start at 25 grs just to be well below and work it up to where it cycles the action. Once I find that spot I will load a larger amount of test ammo for accuracy and continued testing. First thing for me to find is what point the action becomes effective. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    When using data from Lee's book, one should bear in mind that he used data for jacketed bullets to extrapolate the reduced loads from. Expect lower pressures and higher velocities than what he shows when loading with cast.
    Interesting. I will know more on the second batch when I pull out the chrono.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast