Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "A man shouldn't have to sell his Father's guns."

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Dave - I remember reading this post when you first put it up and am glad that I spotted it again! I am sure that he was surprised and happy with what you did for him. Through your loving generosity you not only gave him a "piece" of his father to him . . . but I think he fully realizes just how much of a "father" you are to him and he won't ever forget it. I know you aren't looking for a "pat on the back" but you can sure be proud of what you did . . . . a man is judged by his deeds . . . and you sir . . are one fine gentleman!

Boolit Master
    Nice job sir. many folks would have walked away from those problems. kudos to you.

Boolit Bub
    Good work. That's a good example of how family should work together. A slight sidebar, since I teach Hunter Education, CCH, and NRA classes, I'm known in several circles as the go-to "gun guy". I have had people come up to me that had similar "I need cash, all I've got are these guns" situations (not family, that's different). For those If I can, I'll buy them if the price is reasonable, and the seller can buy it back as long as I still have it, at the same price. I'm always clear that I may sell the gun, I may even break it, but if I've got it, it's their option. So far, I haven't sold (or broken) any of those.

Now for the family, if they're in a pinch (and making an honest effort), I'll bust my butt to help them, no other rules need apply.

Your generosity and efforts I hope will be recognized and appreciated.

Boolit Master
    I've been thinking about this subject for a while, and here's my take. Being an only son, of an only son, of an only son, of an only son- and not ever having had children of my own- the guns, antique cars, and tools (great grandfather cabinet maker, grandfather machinist, father machinist, me cabinetmaker/machinist) of three generations had piled up on top of my own guns and tools. About ten years ago I said to myself that it is just plain ridiculous to cling to all that stuff for sentimental reasons. So, I began selling tons of good quality stuff, cherry picking the stuff that fit my preferences for guns/tools. Never once did I feel any remorse for getting rid of "Grampas shotguns" or Dad's three extra pairs of 0-1" mics, or anything else. What remains is still only "stuff" that will need to be gotten rid of sometime in the future so it doesn't end up on a yard sale somewhere after I'm gone. In the meantime I'll continue enjoying the leftovers as functional tools and fun shooting implements. The money I made from selling the mountain of "sentimental junk" (it filled a small barn, which I was then able to sell too) paid for a two week trip to Germany, several hunting trips, and a dandy SUV. I'm sure my old man would've kicked me in the **** if I hadn't done that. He often remarked on the folly of clutching tightly all the "treasures" of the previous generations, and often threatened to sell it all when he came into possession of it, and then invest it wisely. I wish that he had done it because it would have saved me a lot of work.

It's only "stuff" guys. I have a head full of fond memories of those guys who came before me. My great-granddad was born in 1880, enlisted at 18 to fight the Spanish, got turned down for having flat feet or something, and died in 1966 when I was 13. I don't need their stuff to keep those memories alive. If I ever develop dementia and lose their memories, I won't have much need for their "stuff" either.

Boolit Master
    happy fathers day, looks like you know the meaning of the word "Dad"
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master
    If my forebears had passed down a "normal" amount of 'stuff', it wouldn't have been an issue. As it was, they were all pack rats (hoarders), and acquired stuff that they never (or rarely) ever used. Read the post- I cherry picked the most important/sentimental stuff to keep to remember them by which amounts to about as much "stuff" as the average guy normally inherits. What's the point of clinging to a lot of stuff that'll A) never get used, B) doesn't fit into my scheme of things, C) will rust/rot unless it gets into the hands of someone who can use it? I'm as sentimental as the next guy- probably a little more so. I just wish those guys had invested in blue chip stocks instead of buying a lot of unnecessary "stuff" that they never looked at again after dragging it home.

Geezooey, the guns of my Dad's I kept for sentimental reasons I have fired maybe twice in all the years he's been gone. I never take them out to fondle them, and the only reason I still have them is because they were Pop's favorites. Tell me that's the behavior of a rational man? When I got married the last time, I had my GrandDad's pocket watch in my right pocket, my Great Grandad's watch in my left pocket, and my Dad's wristwatch on. Don't talk to me about the meaning of the word "Dad"!!!

Boolit Mold
    wipes a tear from eye.

Boolit Man
    Looking forward to seeing the finished rifle! You definitely did the right thing, Good on you!!!

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Thank you for sharing your story . An amazing gesture on your part ! All of us with children, blood or not, belong to a special group , I like to call DADS .
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

A great story Dave. Hope your ‘son’ appreciates the help and eventually passes it on. As an only son with an only son I also have concerns about leaving my collection of tools and toys for him to wrestle with after I’m gone. My plan is to pare it down and have started doing that in the house. My wife of 42 years went home to heaven 2 years ago so there’s only me and the only grandson who lives with me to take care of. It’s only stuff, might be expensive or collectible or not, but it’s still only stuff. The memories that go with the stuff are what makes it truly valuable.

Boolit Master
    Good Job
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

This is something that stepparents that love their stepchildren can identify with. Especially those with no natural children of their own. this is a gret way to teach life lessons to younge generations and you are to be commended.

Boolit Grand Master
    I missed this story the first time around and am glad I got to read through it now. I don’t know what the status is of the 22 rifle in the OP, but the reception of the stepson of his shotgun was worth every bit of effort and cost it accrued.

My comment on blended families is that with the words “I do,” immediately “yours and mine” become “OURS.” Especially with very young children, but really with all minor children, this is extremely important. The most striking example I ever saw of this was when an elderly uncle of mine married a similarly elderly lady friend, the words of their vows instantly made him a step- father, grandfather and great grandfather! He must have done a good job of it because even after his wife’s passing, the “kids” still looked to him as the patriarch of the family. I would guess the OP is well on his way to a similar familial position and this is a good thing!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

You are a good man, thanks for sharing!
    Keep moving forward!

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for sharing that..

It is a good example of how a real man takes care of family.

Boolit Master

You made me cry with this one.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned
    I can only add to the great comments already written. You are to be Congratulated for being a caring man. I read somewhere that you should never loan money that you expect to get back. I think it was usury and it is not to be.
    I enjoy giving my grandkids money while they are in college. I worked my way through college including a MA at Stanford and never received any money to help. I know how I would have felt had I received a check or other bills while working my way through college. Like it says," It is blessed to give rather than receive!"

Boolit Buddy
    Bless you brother, wishing the best for all of you.
    Cargo

Boolit Bub
    This is by far one of the most heartening things one man can do for another. A man every family should be blessed to have. Dave, aside from being a wonderful human, you are the father every son strives to be...God bless!

Boolit Master

I missed this thread the first and second times around. Glad I saw it this time. Very opportune time. While getting down the Christmas decorations, I ran across my Dad's old shotgun. He has been gone almost 40 years and, yes, I still miss him.

I have taken the gun to two different gunsmiths and both would not work on it. They said it had been modified and was unsafe. I'm faced with deciding what to do with it. Selling it is out of the question. I don't need the money and absolutely don't want it to get into uninformed hands. I'm considering cutting it up and disposing of it as unusable parts. As one poster said, I don't need the gun to retain memories of my dad
    I suspect that the reason my dad had the gun to start with is that he was able to get it cheap. Back then(65 years ago) we didn't have a whole lot extra. Something that didn't sink in until I had a family of my own.

Whatever, I have to add my kudos's to everyone else's and complement Dave on his handling of, what to many, would be a very difficult decision to make. I can't say I know how he thought it thru since I've never been in that situation but it says a lot about the man he is.
    John
    W.TN

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast