Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "A man shouldn't have to sell his Father's guns."

Perma-Banned

Dave, good for you. Sentimental value exceeds real value always to me. It is what you do that makes you the person you are not what people think of you.

Boolit Master

YES!!! Do NOT sell Tools or Guns!

Well done Dad!

Thanks for sharing
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Man
    Very classy and a gift that the son will never forget.

Boolit Master
    read this a little late but God bless you, you have the right idea. Some things don't need to make sence to be the right thing to do!
    nekshot
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Mold
    Dave, you're a GOOD man. Prayers go with.

Boolit Grand Master

Nicely done! I once restored the shotgun my dad grew up with, it's in my safe and will be there until I'm gone.
    Glad to hear the kids are doing better for themselves, wish more youngsters were on the same track.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Bub
    All I can say is God Bless you brother, that's a stand up thing to do. If people had the value for family nowadays the world wouldn't be so messed up..... If it were me I would probably shed a bucket of tears when you gave them back all fixed up.... Keep up the good work.

Boolit Master

Sorry, no info on the triggers. I bought a lot of barrels, and unfinished actions, which included triggers, but no documentation. If your trigger is like mine, it is a very crude affair. It serves as both a sear release, and a bolt stop. It has a very heavy spring, on mine. I would need to go look at it again, but it seems that you could shorten the sear, and then stone it and the firing pin block, if that is the right term, to get a decent trigger pull.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    Mikey,

Thank you for the offer, but the bore on this one is in good shape. Just got my buddy with his southbend long bed lathe to cut a new target crown as the crown was beat up. I think after I sand blast and parkerize, this barrel will do.

However, if you have any information on trigger tuning for this rifle, trigger assembly, trigger adjustment, I suspect I very well may need help in the trigger area. The safety and trigger both were very loose, sloppy/floppy in the receiver before I broke the rifle down to clean things up. I suspect there may be some missing parts. The side to side play is pretty big on both the trigger and the safety lever.

Boolit Buddy
    A Very Cool Class Act thing to do, and you are His "new or 2nd Father" Very Good on ya for throwing him a bone when he was down on luck,,
    and Stellar Job on the Firearms, Very Classie thing for you to do for the man,,

Karma will Visit back a thousand time for you,
    God Bless you for your Idea of the Christmas Gift,
    I will never sell any of my Dads guns, They bring back all the memory's of when we would shoot,,
    On that Note;
    I now Have the FIRST gun I had ever shot!!
    I can recall when Dad had to hold up my hands to shoot a 38spl and the shot KILLED a 5gal water Bottle (Killed Mr water Bottle Dead as a wet Rock)
    some 45 years ago, I was 8 years old and dad took me Rabbit hunting In Joliet, Illinois near Statesville Prison
    (back then it was all Fields and prairie full of rabbits)
    It was dads everyday carry for 50 years, when he asked me what he might leave me when he passed,
    I asked for that everyday carry, and give the Farms, lands and house to everyone else,
    and truth is I would not take any thing for that Gun, that day, those memory's,,

A Son Should not EVER have to sell a part of that kind of memory,,

God Bless you for that,

Patrick
    Trust in God and Keep your Powder Dry ~ Oliver Cromwell

It's Said Republicans want to Pour all your Money down the Drain,,
    Where as the Democrats want a Bigger Drain,

Please Give me 24 to 48 Hours to respond to PM, Thank You

My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter!

"A man shouldn't have to sell his Father's guns."

Those words touched me deeply. I couldn't agree with you more.
    Nelson

Boolit Man
    as was already stated, my hat is off to you as well, as a step dad myself. try to help "my" kids as well, any way i can. my son is 21 and my daughter is 23. both are hard working and good kids. our daughter moved back in with us recently (with infant) i charge her 30 bucks a week(more of a token payment than anything) for rent, and the wife or i watch the grand daughter for free. the boy moved out last winter and has a small place of his own. i just keep him in rifles and handloads to play with. times get hard for everyone sometimes, and you are right, no man should ever have to sell his fathers guns......my dad never had but one...and it stays buried in my closet, as hard as things have gotten in the past and recently now that i am hard up myself, it is not going anywhere!any man can be a father...kudos to you for being a "DAD"

Boolit Bub
    Good to see there are still some REAL men left in the world!
    "One man with a gun, can control 100 without one." Vladimir Lenin

Awesome work on the topper... I have the same thing in 22 jet... Can i send you mine???

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanGuy View Post
    Awesome work on the topper... I have the same thing in 22 jet... Can i send you mine???
    Sure, send it on. Just be aware it might be awhile. If you want to know how I did the stock, pm me and I'll give you details. The rest of the gun was sandblast, paint and bake. Pretty simple once it was cleaned and degreased. Do need slave pins to get the shotgun back together though.

What can I say that hasn't been said already. Your a good man doing good things.
    God bless...
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

Dave very touching story. I must also say +1 to the comments about the relationship you have with the son-in-law and how you have "stepped up" to the task of taking care of family. Thank-you for sharing. You certainly did the right thing. So many people, sad to say, would not have given the time or have the skills required to do what you have done.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Simply awesome.... A tear in my eye, and a lump in my throat....
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

Boolit Grand Master
    They say judge a man buy the company he keeps. Well, I must be better than I thought I was, if I am privileged to be on the same site as folks like you.
    Bless you and yours, and a very Merry Christmas to one and all.

Still waiting for pics of the Remmy, though.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar

Thought I'd post a pic of my son in law getting his shotgun

Well, the .22 rifle has been delayed a bit due to other stuff and needing an obsolete part I can't seem to find. But on his recent birthday, I decided not to wait and gave him the shotgun after making him promise (before he knew what I was giving him) that he would never, ever sell it. Here is a pic his Mom took of him with shotgun.

Found out from son in law (James) that his Dad had bought that shotgun for him when he was very young, but never gave it to him because he was an onery kid (lots of trouble evidently) and the shotgun latch never worked right (wouldn't lock up). So it had sat waiting for him for years and once his Dad got sick, he no longer remembered it to give to his son.

He was what his Mother calls "beside himself" and fondled that shotgun for a long time, exclaiming how beautiful it now looked. Thanked me profusely. I just smiled, looked him in the eye and said: "A man should never have to sell his Father's guns." His answer: "And now I never will."

Sorry for the small pic, my wife emailed me and I think I may have to download it off her phone to get a better size.

Attachment 106903

Boolit Master

If any thread was worthy of resurrection, it was this one. You, Sir, are what a father should strive to be, even to a son not of your blood. I tip my hat to you.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast