Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "A man shouldn't have to sell his Father's guns."

Time well spent preserving memories, providing a subtle lesson to be passed to a grandson yet unborne, and starting a new generation of good men.
    Lessons are better learned when taught by example.
    Each of should follow your lead when opportunity knocks.
    Thanks for reminding us.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Buddy

Now you need to make sure that the camera has good batteries on Christmas morning. I for one would love to see the look on his face when he opens that box.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Master

Good on you "Dad"
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master

Looking out for those we love is our highest calling. Nice classy thing you did, is be proud to call you friend or dad.

Moderator Emeritus

I agree with the others - well done and God bless. Your actions will go a long way in helping him to be a better man himself down the road.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Well done sir, the only thing I would suggest, (and as you know him, you are the one to know), I would consider about waiting until you are pretty sure that he is mentally in a place to never be tempted to sell them. (There is a thread running in another part of the forum regarding what guns you wish you had never sold, and that's all I will say about that.)
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Gentlemen,

Thank you for the compliments, tells me I did the right thing. After some long discussion with his Mom, we've decided to hold onto the two firearms until he is older, more mature and in a better place to be able to keep them.

Best Regards,

Dave

Great story and I think it will have a happy ending now.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    Gentlemen,

Thank you for the compliments, tells me I did the right thing. After some long discussion with his Mom, we've decided to hold onto the two firearms until he is older, more mature and in a better place to be able to keep them.

Best Regards,

Dave
    I was going to suggest that. I sold a couple of guns my dad gave me and I regrete it to this day!
    I have replaced one with same make/model but it's just not quite the same.
    Wait a few years and then give them back and it will mean that much more to him.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

How's the bore on the 510? I believe I have a 510 barrel in decent shape, if you need one. Still has nice blue. I'd need to pull out that lot of barrels and make sure. I got four at one time, and they are in a shipping tube. Anyway, If you need a barrel, I'll let you have one, $5.00 + shipping. Just my contribution.

Boolit Master
    Just as idiots beget idiots, Dads like you produce adults that anyone would be proud to work beside and call neighbor. Truly, "A Class Act" is an apt and accurate description of you sir.

You're the kind of dad that many should aspire to be.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeym1a View Post
    How's the bore on the 510? I believe I have a 510 barrel in decent shape, if you need one. Still has nice blue. I'd need to pull out that lot of barrels and make sure. I got four at one time, and they are in a shipping tube. Anyway, If you need a barrel, I'll let you have one, $5.00 + shipping. Just my contribution.
    Mikey,

Thank you for the offer, but the bore on this one is in good shape. Just got my buddy with his southbend long bed lathe to cut a new target crown as the crown was beat up. I think after I sand blast and parkerize, this barrel will do.

However, if you have any information on trigger tuning for this rifle, trigger assembly, trigger adjustment, I suspect I very well may need help in the trigger area. The safety and trigger both were very loose, sloppy/floppy in the receiver before I broke the rifle down to clean things up. I suspect there may be some missing parts. The side to side play is pretty big on both the trigger and the safety lever.

Moderator Emeritus

Dave, what a great deed, you are a great Dad.

but in regards to this...
    Gentlemen,
    Best Regards, Dave
    I understand you will do what you think is best and obviously we here probably don't know all the details...but, I think, a man shouldn't be without a gun. He is a Man, He is Married, He has a Baby...and heck they were his Father's guns. I love the Christmas idea.
    that's my 2¢
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Mikey,

Thank you for the offer, but the bore on this one is in good shape. Just got my buddy with his southbend long bed lathe to cut a new target crown as the crown was beat up. I think after I sand blast and parkerize, this barrel will do.

However, if you have any information on trigger tuning for this rifle, trigger assembly, trigger adjustment, I suspect I very well may need help in the trigger area. The safety and trigger both were very loose, sloppy/floppy in the receiver before I broke the rifle down to clean things up. I suspect there may be some missing parts. The side to side play is pretty big on both the trigger and the safety lever.
    Googlage
    http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-682132.html
    http://www.remingtonsociety.com/foru...&submit=Search

I'd probably go ask for help at this link
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...splay.php?f=21

History
    http://www.remington.com/en/products...getmaster.aspx

A restoration on this site
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...0-TargetMaster
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Well done, sir! Your sentiment is correct, man should never need to sell his fathers' guns.

Boolit Master

Nicely done I really hope everything works out well with a big heart like yours I sincerely hope that everything goes according to plan. I really hope that this young fellow knows how how fortunate he and his family is. The world needs more just like you!!
    Jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TheCelt View Post
    You are a class act Dave
    +1!!! I am continually impressed by the quality of character in our membership here, you exemplify that outstanding trait Dave. Well Done! Thanks for sharing your story with us here.
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

It was the right thing to do.
    Facta non verba

Family extends past blood.

-Bren R.

Boolit Master
    Great story, nice work on the shotgun too! It's good to see families taking care of business in tough times.
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast