Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "A man shouldn't have to sell his Father's guns."

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar

"A man shouldn't have to sell his Father's guns." Update post 59, page 3

My son in law (My wife's son, it's both our second marriage.) came to me with a problem. He had "these two old guns that were my Dad's and I need to sell them, I am short on cash, need to pay bills" situation. I took a look at the two old guns and realized he wouldn't get much money for them. They weren't expensive guns when new and they'd been used hard and put up "wet" just way too many times.

The guns were an H&R Topper single shot shotgun in .410 and a Remington Targetmaster 510 .22 caliber single shot with a walnut stock. The wood on both guns was in bad shape, worked hard and stored poorly. The shotgun's birch stock reddish brown finish was peeling and moldy. The receiver and barrel were pitted with rust on the exterior and the action wouldn't lockup to the barrel properly. The rifle's walnut stock reddish brown finish was also peeling and moldy. The receiver and barrel were pitted with rust on the exterior and the bolt handle was very loose and needed to be re-staked badly.

I realized he wasn't going to get much of nothing for either firearm, certainly not enough to help him with his debts. So I told him I would see what I could do with the guns and in the mean time, what was his exact financial situation. It wasn't good. I won't go into major details, but he needed bill money, was out of a job and his wife had gotten drunk playing cards at her friends house and driven their only vehicle up a tree, so he had no way to get to work.

So I paid a good chunk of his bills, bought him some groceries and some baby care stuff and helped him buy a "get back and forth to work car." Because his father was deceased and since I'm the only Daddy he's got now, I did what a Father would do for his son. Got him back on his feet enough to get back to work. I just heard he and family have moved to housing they can afford and both have jobs and are working now, so things appear to be improving. If I never see the money back, it was money well spent in my mind.

In the meantime, here were these two old guns that belonged to his Father. I suspect he didn't really want to sell them, but it was his last recourse at the time. My philosophy is a man shouldn't have to sell his Father's guns, as those of some of his memories of his Father.

So I broke both guns down, cleaned them and evaluated. Both barrels were in good shape and the mechanicals underneath the rust were okay. I decided to restore both guns.

I just finished with the shotgun. I stripped the nasty old finish off the wood and discovered some nice birch underneath with some interesting grain, if finished right. After cleaning up the stock, I made some "Finn" pine tar/turpentine/raw linseed oil mix and finished the stock with the mix. It came out beautifully and is now water proof as well. I haven't yet, but I've got some bee's wax, so I'm going to do the 1/3 Finn wax mix and rub that on as well.

The metal I decided couldn't be polished to look good blued and I don't have the facility to color case harden, so I decided to sand blast and paint with Duracoat flat black, which finishes into a nice "soft" semi-gloss black. I pulled the action down, cleaned every thing up, painted the receiver and reassembled. I cleaned the barrel locking mechanism built into the barrel underlug and worked it until it began to lock up properly, then sand blasted and painted the barrel with Duracoat with a matching color to the receiver.

Here's a few pics of the shotgun:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whole Shotgun.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	81766

Name:	ActionCloseup.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	81767

Name:	ActionStockLeftSide.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	81768

Name:	ButtstockLeftSide.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	81769

Name:	ShotgunButtstockRightSide.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	81770

Name:	ActionRightSide.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	81771

I'm now onto repairing the rifle's stock (It has extra sling "holes," some cracks, some splitting and needs refinishing. Once I do that, I plan to parkerize the rifle since like the shotgun, the metal is too rough to polish and blue. I must admit, I'm not a big fan of sandblasting and blueing.

Once the firearms are refinished, I'm going to hold onto them and give them back to the son this Christmas. In the box will be a simple note: "A man shouldn't have to sell his Father's guns. Merry Christmas."
    Last edited by DaveInFloweryBranchGA; 06-03-2014 at 10:57 AM.

Boolit Master

You are a class act Dave

Boolit Master

Very good of you.

Be sure to post pics when the rifle is done.

Brandon
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Very nice.

I concur withthe "Class Act" comment. The gun looks great also.

Boolit Buddy

Lucky man to have a surrogate "Dad". My hat's off to you. Course, you did it as much for the old guns sake as for him also.

Bill
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Boolit Master

I think you've done what many biological dads wouldn't, good stuff!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

We are in hard times at the moment. Everything but the wages are going up. I don't see how the young kids are surviving the way things are. You can preach money management all you want but you can only stretch a dollar so far. You are lucky to be in a position to be able to help and were willing to help. It looks like the kids are appreciative as well and trying to make a go of it. Better than the many deadbeats in our society. These are your kids and you of course do not want to see them fail and sometimes they just need a little boost from time to time to help them along. Good job

gmsharps

Boolit Man
    You are a very good man and nice work on the gun and I pray he will understand and appreciate what it means to have a person like you in his life.

Boolit Buddy

Very nice thing you did,i'm sure he will be happy come xmas when he see's those guns again.

Boolit Master

Fathers like you are becoming harder to find. God Bless you.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, a "Class Act", indeed. When we care for each other, we all win.

Perma-Banned

Does my heart good to hear a story like this. Few and far between these days. As far as I'm concerned, you should be in the running for a Father of the Year award.
    OB

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!

Dave,
    Great job, nice work and good going!
    Ramar
    AMERICAN EX-PRISONERS OF WAR -- NON SOLUM ARMIS

Boolit Master
    Well done sir , a class act indeed.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

You are a good man Dave !!

Boolit Master

"When times are tough, all we have are our families"- I believe that your son-in-law and his wife will come to realize how fortunate they are to have a man of your caliber in theirs.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Buddy
    What a truly wonderful and thoughtful gesture.
    ]Why does anyone need an assault rifle? My first need is articulated in the US v Miller 1939 decision: every citizen eligible for volunteer or conscript military service, every member of the unorganized militia, should be familiar with his nation's military service rifle, and the service rifles of potential allies and foes as well, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Boolit Master

Classy.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Bub
    My hats off to you Sir, thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast