Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Suggested load for 175 LSWC S&W 40 HP-38

Suggested load for 175 LSWC S&W 40 HP-38

I finally found a local shop that carries reloading supplies. They were out of SR-4756, and HS-6 (my favorite powder(s)), so I picked up a pound can of HP-38. I also purchased some 175 LSWC boolits, and want to try out the combination.
    I mostly shoot Berry's 165 plated bullets, and can probably come close to the correct charge for the HP-38 (same as W231). I have used W231, but it's been a coon's age.
    Please! I know people have their own favorite powders, but I only want HP-38 information.
    Any help is appreciated!

Boolit Man
    I use HP-38 for my Lee 175 grain SWC cast boolits. 4.5 grain of hp-38 is a good start point I stick to 4.5-4.8 have had good results.

Thanks! I got no replies, so I loaded a few test rounds at 4.8 thinking it would be in the proper range. I will test them tomorrow morning. Also testing my new Lone wolf barrel at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by gimling View Post
    I use HP-38 for my Lee 175 grain SWC cast boolits. 4.5 grain of hp-38 is a good start point I stick to 4.5-4.8 have had good results.

I just tried 4.5gr of hp-38 and a Lee 175gr tc I was getting 950fps and a very pleasant load to shoot

I loaded and tested my 4.8 gr loads this morning. No over pressures, but I think I may drop the charge down to 4.6 for the next test.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboredad View Post
    I just tried 4.5gr of hp-38 and a Lee 175gr tc I was getting 950fps and a very pleasant load to shoot