MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Range report: H&r .223

Boolit Grand Master

Range report: H&r .223

I finally got to shoot some experimental stuff today.

Here's the criteria:
    H&R 223, 1:9 BARREL
    NOE 225 60 RN BULLET
    GRAPHLOX LUBE
    UNIQUE
    SMALL RIFLE PRIMERS.
    3 SHOTS PER CHARGE
    50 YARDS.
    TARGET DIAMONDS ARE 7/8" SQUARE

CHRONOGRAPH DATA

CRITERIA SAME AS ABOVE EXCEPT POWDER FOR FOLLOWING IS BULLSEYE.

CHRONOGRAPH DATA

CRITERIA:
    LYMAN 225415 BULLET
    UNIQUE

CHRONOGRAPH DATA

Look at the 5.8 grain groups on the NOE 225 60 RN tests. The group size for the 5.8 grain charge in test number 2 is .240". The group size for the 5.8 grain charge in test number 3 is .333". In all the testing I've done, I've never seen two different bullets produce almost the exact same results with the same charge in different powders.

The group size for the 2.8 grain charge in test number 1 is .275".

Today's testing produced 3 sub MOA loads. I'm very pleased with these results.

CRITERIA:
    LYMAN 225415
    WC 820

The 4.8 grain charge in this test leads me to believe I'm approaching the proper burn pressure for 820. The next test will be 5.0 to 5.8 grains. I expect to find good results soon.

Boolit Master

I thinks it's awesome. One load for both slugs.
    Every shot you get in life counts

Boolit Master

Looks like you've found at least 2 "keepers". I like the 5.8 Unique load, and just icing on the cake to be able to switch bullets. I'm thinking I remember you were working with a larger chambering a while back and got some good results. With 'coons the size you all grow in Floyd county you may need something bigger. I'm thinking a 22 might just make a big one mad.
    Good work!
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master
    Given that a 225415 is a fifty plus grain flatnose, and that total energy exceeds a 22 magnum's using the 5.8 grain charge with a flatpointed bullet that transmits impact well, I'm betting that load will get even a big coon's attention and then some. Have no fear with that load. It will do the job.

Congrats on the good groups.

But I'd replicate those loads and shoot at least five more groups with the loads that seemed best to make sure those group sizes are really representative rather than simply a coincidence or the small end of the normal variation.

The circa 1100-1200 fps loads have value for small game and squirrel hunting, with the caution that hard .22 caliber RN bullets don't kill too well at around 1100 fps speeds on tree squirrel unless headshots only are taken. The FN might do somewhat better. This comment from a guy who's tried doing just that with the same bullet types in a 22 K Hornet. The speedier loads are sure killing but more destructive on the small critters.

Life is a compromise.
    Last edited by 35remington; 09-11-2013 at 10:42 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    ..... But I'd replicate those loads and shoot at least five more groups with the loads that seemed best to make sure those group sizes are really representative rather than simply a coincidence or the small end of the normal variation.....
    All these results are preliminary. Tests with 3 shots of .2 grain increment increases are shot again with 5 shots of .1 gr. increment increases on both sides of the best results in the first test. E. G.: In test number 2, I'll load 5 rounds of 5.7, 5.8 and 5.9 and shoot those. The best results from that test will be shot again with 10 rounds and documented as the final result.

Notice test number 1 is in .1 grain increment increases. This combination has already been shot in .2 grain increment increases, but I chose to shoot this one with 3 shot groups in an effort to save on primers.

There are those that will say 3 to 5 shots do not qualify a load as being proven. I would agree with that. I would, however, respond to that observation by saying "I ain't done yet."

I do appreciate the positive responses and compliments. Thanks, fellas.

Boolit Grand Master
    Given that it's hard to improve on a quarter inch group I'd simply load 25 of the best performing load and shoot five five shot groups. That cuts to the chase rather than gathering more potentially uncertified data. One group proves little and you already got combinations that show good accuracy.

Time to verify, but of course that's only how I roll if doing the same thing.
    Last edited by 35remington; 09-12-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    5.8 Unique looks awesome.
    H&R Handi I am guessing?
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master

Thanks for this thread. I've got a Rossi break action and was thinking about some similar loads for my NOE 55gr flat nose that comes out more like 62gr in my alloy with gc and lube.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Since I have more Red Dot than Bullseye, I tried a variation today. However, I stuck a case in my .223 sizing die and couldn't get it out. I'll have to follow up later on. I tried my NOE 55.gr FN that weighs more like 62gr ready to load the way I load them. I did a Tula small pistol primer with 3.0gr of Red Dot. They sounded like a .22 both as far as report and impact on a steel target at 50 yards. I shot them from Rossi break action. I'll have to evaluate further after I can either get the case out of my die or get a new die.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ