WidenersPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Current Information Regarding DD-214's

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by stepmac View Post
    From experience. Don't lose you DD214.
    What was your experience? I probably had mine for the first few years after I got out, but they got lost in one move or another over the years. I've never had to produce a DD214 since then even though I've worked on projects that required a security clearance.
    Last edited by WilliamDahl; 02-03-2014 at 05:11 PM.
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Boolit Buddy
    My next door neighbor lost his record during the fires of 91 in LA.??
    He said he got them back (originals) with burn marks on them??
    Mine was lost to the garage monster a long time ago. Or was that the rats and mice??

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Mine is in a cabinet in the kitchen. I have a bank safety deposit box for which I pay about $50 a year, so the question is: Why tha hell isn't in it!? It will be before this week is over!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    Mine is in a cabinet in the kitchen. I have a bank safety deposit box for which I pay about $50 a year, so the question is: Why tha hell isn't in it!? It will be before this week is over!
    Because as a lot of people learned, having things in bank safety deposit boxes is not necessarily all that safe during flooding as occurred during TS Allison and Hurricane Katrina?

But a better question might be whether you have ever actually needed to produce them. I never have and I've had a few government contracts over the years that required security clearances even.
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I have the one they gave me in 1973 somewhere. I also have it registered at our local court house. The one at the court house is the one I know where its at.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Don't count on the county to have your 214 on file. I reg. mine in mid 60's, no record found at the county - they probably don't keep it. I never needed it for clearances, but I did fill out the 5 page forms. They already have the service record.
    I was originally a 'nam era vet' but later they changed the designation to 'in-country/combat only', to save money in bennies. I always get VFW/AL applications and toss them. Don't drink much and don't have a hall nearby, but I have nothing against them, they are on my charity list along with the USO.
    Last edited by popper; 02-10-2014 at 11:29 AM.
    Whatever!

Good info all. I am about to be medically retired in a few months, so this info is rather helpful!!

Boolit Master

I have a few DD-214's from my enlisted days (each time I re-enlisted, got a new one). The only time I ever had to produce one was when I wanted to use my GI Benefits for education; benefit difference between Vietnam Era, and post Vietnam era benefits was the question. Also, I had dallied with a State Veterans benefit loan for a Texas Farm Loan, and would have had to produce a DD-214, but I reconsidered the farm so did not have to produce one.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy

Just as a reminder, your next of kin will also need access to your DD214 if your final wishes are to have military honors at your funeral. Make sure they know were a copy of it is kept.
    "An armed society is a polite society" R.A. Heinlein 1907 - 1988

Boolit Master
    That's a good site to know about. I do have my original DD214, and I also have a retired military ID card, plus my 20 yr letter.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Sitting here tonight thinking about how things have changed over the many years I think most of us should get another "OFFICIAL"copy and give the new copy to a friend or neighbor just in case.

There are quite a few of us now living by ourselves and if something happened who else knows where that danged DD214 is so they could at least get you buried with full honors.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Mold
    Show a copy of your DD214 at Lowes or Home Depot and get 10% off your purchase......at least they do in Oklahoma.

Boolit Mold
    As a Viet Nam Era Vet, 7/64 till 7/68 in Uncle Sams Nursery, yes I still have my DD 214 and Discharge Papers etc. Did apply to VFW but not on DD 214 form, but alas the rules change about in country time to support time, but still not on 214.
    Have applied to the black hole for the awards, but nothing yet, applied to VA for service connection but denied it all. Even tho in Hospital while in service, you healthy now so you not service connected on anything.
    Now retired and enjoying life and shooting cast lead and round balls.

Boolit Grand Master

Another member here spent a year in Bathesda hospital for injuries suffered while on board ship.

A whole 10% disability.

I am sure there are many more members here that can tell more stories of how well the VA takes care of the military vets.

Shame on them.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    Another member here spent a year in Bathesda hospital for injuries suffered while on board ship.

A whole 10% disability.

I am sure there are many more members here that can tell more stories of how well the VA takes care of the military vets.

Shame on them.
    I feel for you on a year in Hospital, I spent 100 days in Bremerton Naval Hospital with Infectious and Viral Hep, came out of Hospital and was discharged five months later with no rating or anything. Just have a nice life and too bad you can't donate blood or organs cause of the Hep but no disability rated for that....!

Boolit Mold
    Bad Water Bill, this might help you. A few hours after getting off a troop ship in NY in 1962 I was a civilian. During the discharge physical the audio tech mentioned that I had a hearing loss. I was so happy to get out that I didn't care at the time. Some 50 or so years later my family is pestering me to get hearing aids. After testing I found out aids were $8,000. That was way to many guns so I nixed that idea. I discussed this history with some winter Texan friends who told me to contact the VA and get my records. After a few moths of waiting my records arrived and sure enough my physical showed a hearing loss. I applied for medical care here in MN and was given and exam. Sure enough the graph of my test was the same shape as the one on my separation physical. The MD announced that I was eligible for aids (state of the art) and I would be getting $200+ dollars per month for a 20% hearing loss. I hope this info helps. I never would have tried if it hadn't been for old vet friends.

Boolit Grand Master

Looking back at post 31 reminded me of a friend that had 0 relatives and had a fatal heart attack on the street in Chiraq.

Since I was the only one on his cell the Chiraq police contacted me.

I told them his ball cap has his military # and 101st Airbourn + his DD214 is in his wallet.

90 days later Larry was still laying in the morgue.

I contacted a vet police officer and 2 days later Larry was buried with full honors.

Yes there are plenty of great cops out there.

Now off to see about my own hearing.

To bad they can not make payment retroactive to the time the military first showed me of the loss.

Yes a 51 year total sure would help but anything is better than nothing.

Keep posting your results vets

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    One thing about the online dd214 thing. I did the request, and they only sent me the first page. A few of us have a two page DD-214, and the system is not set up to handle "unique" DD-214's.

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post

A whole 10% disability.

Shame on them.

BWB, I sure can... I'd have been dead 15 years ago if not for VA. They found the severe blockage in an artery and provided bypass surgery that I NEVER could have paid for. VA has been very good to me!
    No matter how bad the situation seems... No matter how dark the future seems... There is always someone to turn to... JESUS!

I recorded my DD214 at the county courthouse when I came home. I can get as many free certified copies of it as I want anytime they're open. Every time I move, I take a certified copy & have it recorded in my new county of residence so I've got certified copies in 3 different states now & can get them anytime. Thus far, no county recorder has lost my DD214.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast