RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Linux Computer

Boolit Master

Linux Computer

I have a computer that is running Windows XP. and have several years of data on it. Since I know little about the compatibility between Linux and Windows I though about buying a computer and dedicate it to Linux. I would switch the data as I become familar with Linux.
    My question is what type of specs are needed for a Linux computer. How much RAM? What speed processor?Graphics card? Etc. Any do's and don'ts?
    I would go with a used computer without any software.

Vendor Sponsor

Do you want a desktop or a laptop?

Linux favors Intel processors and Nvidia graphics chipsets.

I would suggest a quad core cpu, as fast as you can afford, 16gb ram, USB3.0 SATA III (6gb/sec) An SSD drive for a boot drive, 250GB would do nicely, you can use a separate drive to store stuff on. I use smaller boot drives but you can't hardly find a 120gb or 128gb SSD anymore, the 250 is about the smallest made.

The more money you sink in hardware means faster hardware and linux will respond in like kind. If this is just a second machine to learn on you can cut corners and get away with it.
    __________________________________________________ ___

I used Socket 1176 mobos with USB2.0 and SATA II and it was always lagging b/c of the usb and sata speeds, and although I had 16gb of ddr3 ram, I never saw linux using more than about 6gb.

then, I built a new box with a 4.2GHz quad core with hyperthreading, and it pegged 8GB of ddr4 pretty quick, so I doubled it to 16gb. The more cores, the more threads and that eats up memory really fast. Quad core with hyprethreading appears as 8 cores to Linux, and it is VERY well adapted to multi threading and multi processors so it wasn't wasted money, it rocks..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    The way I suggest, and the way I'm doing it, is pick out the machine you want, get all the info as to processor, graphics card, sound card, as much info as possible. Then jump onto a search engine and plug your info in, like......"such and such graphic card with whatever Linux". You'll see if there are problems with any of the hardware pretty quick. The last thing you want is a problematic graphic card.....there is no joy in it.

The Linux distribution you choose will have a role in whether or not there will be snafus with hardware, some do, others don't and the difference is usually in the drivers being used, sometimes in the driver files as well. That's where the search engine pays off in less aggravation.

Intel Pentiums will outpace a Celeron by quite a bit, then there are the "i's".....i3, i5, i7. If I was in a hurry, I would just pay the difference for a faster processor than a Celeron.....but I'm also cheap and will wait for a deal. And, for my needs, a slower spec processor doesn't cause a lot of grief. I'm replacing only because 32 bit is on the way out and soon my laptop will be too old and outdated.....kinda like me.

Linux will run fine with AMD processors too, they're just not as common as Intel. Linux is much more efficient at running things than Windows ever was so you see a big difference even in slower specs.

Most hardware is well covered in Linux if it's a couple of years old, brand spanking new can sometimes be a problem, but it's kinda rare. Broadcom is problematic at times, it sometimes means blacklisting a driver so the driver you need is loaded instead of the default one.

An SSD will definitely be a major improvement over a hard drive, both in response times and booting. If you're looking at laptops, it's hard to find good prices on anything that comes with an SSD, they seem to want to push the flash drives instead, tiny things they are. The gaming machines have the specs but also the hefty prices.

As you mention data, you're probably not looking at a Chromebook anyway, but if you are then I'd suggest not doing it. There are ways to install Linux on one but it's Mickey Mouse as far as I can see. And, they're really not suited for data.

As for used machines, there are lots out there and I've gotten good deals myself, but it's usually a gamble.....could be something spilled on it, could be overheated....and often they're stolen......so I don't bother with used anymore.

Banned
    OK, try this for ease of pocket (assuming your current computer has USB ports). Download Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Support) and load it onto a USB stick of decent size. It's not difficult to do and there are plenty of guides. Set your computer to boot from the USB stick and Robert's your mother's brother. You will be able to access your data on the drives fitted. It is almost certain to run faster than it does with XP too.

If your computer is too old to be set up to boot from USB then just about any computer of modern design will work. I have such a USB stick and it will, after some initial hesitation while it sorts itself out, boot up and run on just about any PC I have. It will even start up my Mac Mini!

Boolit Master

I would suggest you buy as updated of a computer as you can afford, but to answer your original question, Ubuntu LTS will run on almost anything.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Banned
    Further information. Depending on how old your computer is, you may need a 32 bit version of Linux to run on it. Most of these are being phased out but Linux Lite still has a version available. I'm installing it now and it looks pretty reasonable. It is an ISO file that can be burnt to a DVD to boot from and then install. It will install to a USB drive. At the very least you will be able to get more mileage from your current PC and also get some practice with Linux. Take care to install it on the USB disk. Not difficult, just go slow on the options.

https://osdn.net/projects/linuxlite/storage/3.8/

Boolit Master

Linux does favor nVidia graphics but not Intel processors. Windows uses unoptimised generic x86 code paths for AMD but it uses processor-tuned optimizations for Intel. Linux has no such disparity. Indeed the 64 bit linux kernel has "amd" in the name because AMD invented the 64 bit x86 instructuon set!
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.