Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision PBcastco
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Current Information Regarding DD-214's

Boolit Bub
    Good info.. Need to get mine and my Bride's recorded ASAP... Thanks!

John

I retired from the Air Force last year. During one of our separation briefs, they made us create a account here:
    https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage

There is a lot of resources on this website, including military medical records, x-rays, create a VA claim or get your DD-Form 214...etc. Just wanted to throw it out there as an added resource.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Quote Originally Posted by RetMSgt View Post
    I retired from the Air Force last year. During one of our separation briefs, they made us create a account here:
    https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage

There is a lot of resources on this website, including military medical records, x-rays, create a VA claim or get your DD-Form 214...etc. Just wanted to throw it out there as an added resource.
    Thank you sir for your service and information.

Perhaps a MOD can make your link into a great permanent STICKY link for all of us OLD reprobates.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Grand Master

Time for another kick and info for Illinois vets.

You can contact the DNR in Sppringfield,email them a copy of your DD214 & DL to receive a substantial discount on licenses.

If you have any overseas or sea service time on your DD214, the licenses are 1/2 price FOREVER.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been surprised at how many benefits/discounts (here in PA at least) are available to veterans; I used to carry a copy of my DD214 to obtain generous discounts at the local Home Depot (hey, 10% off of a lawn mower or water heater that is already on sale is a good deal)..A clerk told me to take my DD214 with me when I renew my driver's license and they will add veteran's code to the new license which is proof of vet status without carrying a copy of the DD214 around. Lots of places offer a significant discount to veterans......getting a copy of your DD214 is worth the trouble...IMHO

Boolit Master
    Good stories about DD-214. When I went looking for mine all I got back was a DD-214 for 6 months enlisted in the Navy without pay. I went back and said "look again, please-- that 6 months was while i was waiting for and OCS berth." They finally found the real one (Vietnam era). Funny story: I have a hearing loss in one ear frm my youth. The Navy needed engineers badly, and took me as an engineer. But-- when I took my physical I passed the hearing test to be a private with a rifle, but failed the OCS hearing test. This young Navy medical corpsman said "It says here you are an engineer-- I'll bet you can figure out how my hearing test works. Want to try again?" I did, and I "passed"
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

I have no real idea where my DD214 is but if push comes to shove I might be able to find a copy.
    Nothing much on it says I was a reservist, my ets date which is wrong and nothing much more
    I was in from 69-77 and left as an SFC which is to say I must have done something my country liked, Do the math I have been out for 39 years and DOD still tracks where I am in the country go figure
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Bub
    Just another suggestion on your military records.

Take ALL of them to your nearest "HOME DEPOT" and have them scanned and copied for a nominal fee.

They did that for me + sent a copy to my son.s puter and handed me a chip with all of my records on it.

I NEVER knew I was eligible for any benefits at all when I was discharged almost 60 years ago.

Sure could have made a big difference in my life if I could have known that back then.

Hoping many here will pass all of this info on to the young vets
    Badwater's Punk Kid™

Old thread, I know. But you can also access your DD-214 by HTTPS://HRC.army.mil
    ~Andrea

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the update.

Now to correct Hardwares post.

It should read "OFFICE DEPOT" NOT HOME DEPOT.

Quote Originally Posted by 2HighSpeed View Post
    Old thread, I know. But you can also access your DD-214 by HTTPS://HRC.army.mil
    My Firefox firewall security just posted a security warning that says this site is not secure. Mebee it's the russians again.....

Boolit Master
    I went to the county Sherriff's office to get some pistol purchase permits. I filled out the form on the computer provided in the lobby. Went into the clerk of the magistrates office to sign my application and pay my fee for 7 permits. When I finished, the secretary said I'd have to bring my DD-214 to prove I'd gotten an honorable discharge. When I got home, I couldn't find ANY of my significant papers. I used the link provided by Bad Water Bill. I received conformation of my request for copies of my DD-214 and an estimate of 3 weeks delivery. The secretary at the Magistrate's said I had 2 weeks after notification to pick up my permits or forfeit my fees. Of course I got approved the next day. 9 days later my DD-214's show up in the mailbox with a big thank you letter for using the service and my service to our country. They didn't ask for a dime. WOW! Not your usual government agency.

Boolit Master
    Tried to use this site and got nowhere! Answered first three questions and then nothing happens???Are you the vet? 2 more and it does nothing. What am I doing Wrong? Looking for my DD-214.

Boolit Man
    Do yourselves a big favour and if you are still on active duty check your personnel record for accuray. I retired from the Navy Seabees in 1992. Back then we double checked all entrees into our records and still wuold find errors and omissions where some clerk forgot that one important thing. Medical records the same , double check..

That Lowes mylowes card discount is nice. One word of caution about applying on line though. If you have 2 discharges it won’t take it online . I was both in the army then national guard so it got rejected with no real explanation. If they don’t take it just head to Lowe’s with your 214. They will do it for you. Something about the second discharge confuses things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Be aware that some vendors, local authorities and potential employers look beyond the type of discharge. There is also a “separation code” on a DD214. http://www.utvet.com/SPNnumeric2012.html

Last edited by Dieselhorses; 12-29-2018 at 07:46 PM.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master
    Got discharged in '67 from the navy and spent the balance on inactive reserve. Gave my wife copies of my DD214,honorable discharge and birth certificate. Have numerous copies of all of the above. Going to give copies to my daughters as when the time comes dollars to donuts the wife won't be able to find them. And my original DD214 is mimeographed!!. Frank

Boolit Mold
    Maybe I better check as I never got a DD214 for the last hitch ending in 1966 with all the screw ups perhaps there is a big pile of money waiting or more likely a who the h--- are you? Have a nice day Don K

Boolit Master

Does anyone know how I could get an Honorable Discharge certificate ? I have my DD-214 with no problems but never actually received the certificate that I could hang on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Does anyone know how I could get an Honorable Discharge certificate ? I have my DD-214 with no problems but never actually received the certificate that I could hang on the wall.
    I’d just wander into the nearest VA office and see them. Of all the gov agencies I dealt with in 32 years with the gov they are the ONLY ones not full of . take good ID. You might be able to call but with privacy considerations just go yourself.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123