Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersPBcastcoTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current Information Regarding DD-214's

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates

Current Information Regarding DD-214's

I posted this a few years ago. Since then ?0,000 have joined our family.

Current Information Regarding DD-214's

Please pass on to other vets. It's official: DD-214 discharge papers are

NOW ONLINE. The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) has
    provided the following website for veterans to gain access to
    their DD-214s online:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/mil...rvice-records/

This may be particularly helpful when a veteran needs a copy
    of his/her DD-214 for employment purposes. NPRC is working
    to make it easier for veterans with computers and Internet
    access to obtain copies of documents from their military files.

Military veterans and the next of kin of deceased former military
    members may now use a new online military personnel records
    system to request documents.

Other individuals with a need for documents must still complete
    the Standard Form 180, which can be downloaded from the
    online web site. Because the requester will be asked to supply
    all information essential for NPRC to process the request,
    delays that normally occur when NPRC has to ask veterans
    for additional information will be minimized. The new web-based
    application was designed to provide better service on these
    requests by eliminating the records centers mailroom and
    processing time.

Please pass this information on to former military personnel you
    may know and their dependents.

Perhaps someone can STICKY this somewhere
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master

Thanks for sharing this, it will be useful for many people. I used this type of information a few years ago to retrieve my FIL's DD214 at the time of his death. I'm sure this is an updated version of what we did, can't remember. Many will find this useful for family and friends.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Banned

putting it in for consideration.
    we'll try to find somewhere it can be seen.
    I linked it to my something that may help sticky for now.

Boolit Master

Thanks Bill!! Your thread showed up 2 days after I needed a copy of my DD-214. I can not find my copy and I don't remember if I filed it with the county clerk or not. So this is a big help.

Please continue to post this from time to time. I remember seeing it before, but did not need a copy right then, and thought nothing of it. But now I do, and it's a lifesaver.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks!
    Vulcan 20MM = Accuracy by volume.

Boolit Buddy
    Slowly but surely, the government moves into the *20th* century.

I've worked on various projects for the government and defense contractors over the years, but I have never had one ask to see my DD-214.
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Boolit Grand Master

That is the very reason I asked to have it made a sticky somewhere.

At my age I do not have a written guarantee that I can keep providing it next week let alone next year.

My puter could crash etc and all would be lost also and I do not the responsibility of being "THE ONLY ONE" capable of helping folks out.

Here in Illinois we will need 16 hours of training in firearms handling in order to get a CCW permit. A copy of your DD-214 will be proof of about 4 hours of training.

I am not the only vet that was discharged OVER HALF A CENTURY AGO.

How many have saved that tissue paper thin copy handy all of these years?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post

At my age I do not have a written guarantee that I can keep providing it next week let alone next year.

My puter could crash etc and all would be lost also and I do not the responsibility of being "THE ONLY ONE" capable of helping folks out.

Here in Illinois we will need 16 hours of training in firearms handling in order to get a CCW permit. A copy of your DD-214 will be proof of about 4 hours of training.

To compound your problem, your records might have been in that group that was destroyed in the fire that they had in 1973.

As flimsy as the original copy might have been, I believe that I lost mine well before it had a chance to self-destruct. Too much moving around after I got out and it probably disappeared within the first 5 years or so. It just didn't seem all that important to me back then and considering the fact that I've not needed it since then, I guess it really wasn't all that important with respect to my future jobs.

If they had been meant to have been kept, surely they would have printed them on a more robust paper, right?

I just wish that the IRS would accept email communications.
    Last edited by WilliamDahl; 01-28-2014 at 03:30 PM.
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Boolit Master
    also , your DD-214 counts as your proof of training for a Wisconsin concealed carry license , and for purchasing rifles from the CMP

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings and thanks Bill !
    Happily when I ETS'd at Ft Dix the E-6 told us to get 20 copies made ASAP of our DD-214 so we would always have one handy... I followed his instructions.
    I have more than one down here in Peru with me as occassionaly there is a need to send one off somewhere.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post

I was released from active duty in 1972, and recently found ALL my old forms. Mouse and bug chewed. All transfers, promotions, citations, etc. It was only through luck that I found them, and right now I couldn't lay hands on them if my life depended on it. BUT I have them! somewhere..................

Boolit Grand Master

When my time drew near I was on the USS Independence in Gitmo bay.

I had to inform the yeoman that I only had 7 days left in the Navy.

Orders were cut IMMEDIATELY to nearest port of discharge, which ended up at N A S Sanford. That flight is another grey hair story.

For 6 days I was assigned to walk my post "in a military manner" till they discovered I had been promoted to E5. On the last day they rushed me thru everything and handed me my discharge papers and orders to report to N A S Glenview Il for reserve duty.

Now walking back to the barracks to retrieve my sea bag a NEW O1 stopped me for wearing a baseball cap instead of a proper DIXIE CUP.

Only took about 2 minutes to straighten that "BOOT Ensign" out and I was on my way home.

After serving as flight crew over the next 2 years at Glenview they realized tomorrow was my last day in the reserves.

Well you can use your own brains to imagine what a C ---- my discharge was. Yes IF I wanted to apply for the 20% loss of hearing I had suffered I would have to re enlist or forget it.

WHAT SAY

Some where in the BIG envelope was my DD-214.

I am sure other vets can share the same stories.

When a friend provided me with that site I posted it and I am hoping that others will keep that site available for MANY years to come.

I saw my original a few years ago, have no idea where it is now. I did the county reg. thing way back and now I find they don't keep the records! I applied on-line and got the copy ~ 1 mo later. I had to show the original for GI Bill, security clearance and VA loan, long ago. Now it's to get vet status on D.L., a plot for me in Grand Prairie. Dog tag has been enough proof for retail discounts. Good sticky.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I still have my copy and even all my med records stashed away in a safe in the attic. I put them there almost 30yrs ago and they haven't moved, some day I need to find the combnation so I can open it!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Mold
    From experience. Don't lose you DD214.

Boolit Master

Thanks, BWB, I have my DD214 but wanted to check this out. Guess what. National Archives site close during the Government shut down. Shoot, Veterans wouldn't need this information for work, or retirement, or anything important, right?

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Boolit Master

When I ETS'd in 1972, I filed mine with the County Clerk. Came in handy a couple of times. Went back in TXARNG for 21 years, went from NCO to WO, mobilized twice and retired. I have a few DD214s. Most important one at this time is the final one. It's good to take them to some "Office" place and have them digitalized. Save on computer, flash drives, or memory cards. What is amusing to me is I have my original DA 201 file, complete, originally initiated at reception center, Ft Polk, La, Jan 1970.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Buddy
    I kept my DD214 but never really looked at it. When I was joining the VFW I got a letter saying I was not qualified. The block for awards said 'none' and there was no mention of time in Vietnam. I had to use the dates on the 214, unit history, etc to get credit for time spent, a reissued DD214, and eventually Life VFW. It all stemmed from the hurry Navy personnel clerks were in when I came back to CONUS for discharge.

EdZ KG6UTS

Boolit Grand Master

The V F W & Legion want nothing to do with me.

Between 06 1955 and the start of Viet Nam was PEACE TIME so we are not eligible.

Nor did they give out any medals. Not even good conduct.

Then there was the fire in St Louis records so if you do not have something in your hand it is hard to prove you ever served.

That was the reason I posted this info.

Hope it helps us old folks.

Boolit Master

And therein lies the problem(s) organizations such as VFW and American Legion run into in "recruitment" of new members. I was denied VFW membership because I wasn't in a direct combat area (I served in a direct support area). Then when the local chapter saw the handwriting on the wall, so to speak, concerning dwindling membership, they sought out persons such as myself to join. I told them to go pound sand. BTW, my records never made it to St. Louis, I have the originals right at home. DD214 was used last Sept. to purchase a Vets License Plate from the DMV.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast