Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Darnall Service!

Boolit Master

Charlie Darnall Service!

On Saturday September 7, Charlie and I exchanged emails about converting my .30 cal Freechex 3 for 8mm gaschecks. He gave me a price for the conversion. I Paypal'ed him On Saturday afternoon.

Monday, September 9, when I opened my mailbox, there was a box from Charlie.

I am more than a bit amazed.

Charlie is on my list of 'good people'.

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Grand Master
    Charlie is a real class act fellow !

Ben

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Charlie is a real class act fellow !

Ben
    Charlie has treated me right on more than one occasion....

Boolit Master

When I ordered a check maker for .22 boolits, he said he was temporarily out of stock, but he would get me one ASAP. 4 days later, it arrived! I figure it had to be 3 days in the mail! That's what I call service.

Boolit Master
    New definition for 'just in time delivery'.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

You guys must live a charmed life. I bought one of his chex2 units and it works good. I tried to buy a
    35 cal unit and after a few e mail discussions,e.i, material,etc, I ordered one. To my dismay, he refused to sell to me.Something about wasting my time and money.Huh? Strange business policy. To his credit he makes a good unit, but weird behavior. Now I need to look and buy elsewhere.
    Anyone have any ideas who makes a good die?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by silhouetteshooter View Post
    You guys must live a charmed life. I bought one of his chex2 units and it works good. I tried to buy a
    35 cal unit and after a few e mail discussions,e.i, material,etc, I ordered one. To my dismay, he refused to sell to me.Something about wasting my time and money.Huh? Strange business policy. To his credit he makes a good unit, but weird behavior. Now I need to look and buy elsewhere.
    Anyone have any ideas who makes a good die?
    You joined this Sept. and already have one of his tools and he refused to sell another to you. Mighty strange! Sounds like case of first class miscommunications! Wasting your time?

Boolit Master

I don't understand, either. Charlie and I exchanged a few emails on a Saturday and I did a PayPal and had my stuff in the mailbox on Monday.

I have a Freechex 2 and a Freechex 3. I needed to convert my .30 caliber Freechex 3 so I could make 8mm checks. that was the flurry of emails. Some people would've said 'just buy another one'. Charlie said that I could get parts to convert back and forth for a significantly lower number.

dale in Louisiana

In Remembrance
    My two cents worth! Charlie makes a fine product. That said don't tell Charlie you want to make checks out of 1/4 aluminum plate, he has designed his tools to work with certain materials. He just received a 22 III back that WAS COMPLETELY JAMMED WITH 25 THOUSANDTH MATERIAL. Why did that jam? Could it be we don't listen. Charlie will bend over backwards. Don't take advantage of a good man! Listen and learn he has a wealth of knowledge to share! James Sage

right in the middle of england"birthplace of the industrial revolution"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagebrush7 View Post
    My two cents worth! Charlie makes a fine product. That said don't tell Charlie you want to make checks out of 1/4 aluminum plate, he has designed his tools to work with certain materials. He just received a 22 III back that WAS COMPLETELY JAMMED WITH 25 THOUSANDTH MATERIAL. Why did that jam? Could it be we don't listen. Charlie will bend over backwards. Don't take advantage of a good man! Listen and learn he has a wealth of knowledge to share! James Sage
    i must agree with james here,charlie includes sample strips in with the tool,as well as instructions as to what thickness to use,his tools are designed to take the thickness stated..its not rocket science..
    Sir Winston Churchill said "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

Boolit Master

I've got two of his check makers and am waiting for him to start making the 50 cal unit again. Like Yonky said, he includes samples of the material to use and is glad to direct you where to get it. He stands behind his work and absolutely does not question you returning the item if your not happy. He is a standup and very intelligent guy.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Charlie's service is amazing. His products are excellent and flat work! I have three tools currently, sold of two others. Only because I no longer load those calibers.

Use the right thickness material, watch the video on coil and foil (I think on Yonkies site) and you can produce a pile of quality checks in no time.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar
    I too have had great service from Charlie, he got me my Freechex 2 in 2 days and even explained to me how to open mine up a bit so the checks wouldn't come out as tight.

Boolit Buddy
    My dealing with Charlie goes back about a year. i was working with a problem mold that had a very short gc shank. He worked with me far above necessary to provide a product that would work. He patiently taught me a lot about the requirements needed to get the results, as well as supplying supplement product without charge, even though his original was correct for normal use. I would just say that Charlie will go far and beyond what is needed to supply a correct product. To the poster who had a negative report, i can only say that somewhere the communication broke down, and I just can't believe Charlie would treat a customer rudely without a reason.

Boolit Master
    I have six of his Freechex II tools...I bought them some years ago. With most of them I paid as much for them as one box of Hornady GC's (incl. the shipping). Had a minor issue with a 7mm tool and Charlie replaced it... I enjoy shooting the 7mm Rem Mag with cast bullets and home made GCs. I recapture the lead and the Aluminum GCs are cheap to make. They shoot as good as factory and and IMHO go on a lot easier.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mohavedog View Post
    My dealing with Charlie goes back about a year. i was working with a problem mold that had a very short gc shank. He worked with me far above necessary to provide a product that would work. He patiently taught me a lot about the requirements needed to get the results, as well as supplying supplement product without charge, even though his original was correct for normal use. I would just say that Charlie will go far and beyond what is needed to supply a correct product. To the poster who had a negative report, i can only say that somewhere the communication broke down, and I just can't believe Charlie would treat a customer rudely without a reason.
    I agree. I have dealt with Charlie several times over the years and he has been quite helpful and what I felt was very patient explaining to me, at least the first time that I bought one of his tools, of just how it should work, types of metal, etc. I suppose that if someone was wanting to do something that was really out of the ordinary, he might not want to mess with it as it does take a lot of time to set up the tooling to alter anything after regular production has been set up.

I bought one of his first .22 Cal. tools and he contacted me out of the blue to see how it was working out. I had a few problems getting it broken in, but I had it working ok and I told him it was just fine as it was. He insisted that he was going to send me another anvil as he thought that his early design was not quite correct. Great guy if you ask me. Very busy guy of course.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Mold
    How do I get in contact with "Charlie" ???

right in the middle of england"birthplace of the industrial revolution"
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard kinsey View Post
    How do I get in contact with "Charlie" ???
    Freechex.net
    Sir Winston Churchill said "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

Banned

"... after a few e mail discussions,e.i, material,etc, I ordered one. To my dismay, he refused to sell to me.Something about wasting my time and money.Huh? Strange business policy."

I think you are confusing Charlie with Frozone, because that is Frozone's business model. Charlie emailed me, gave me his number and insisted I call him and spent a lot of his time talking to me about my specific needs. He is as good as it gets. Will buy more Freechex.

Love Life
    His service is top notch. I ordered a freechex II on a Friday, and was making my own gas checks on Monday. Great tool, but he needs to have a should on the punch rod instead of an O ring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast