Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners

Thread: Light Deer Load for .35 Remington

Boolit Mold

Light Deer Load for .35 Remington

Am looking for a load for a 9 year old girl to use to deer hunt. Was thinking of using .357 JHP 158, but can't find suitable light load. This is for a Marlin 336. Any ideas?

Vince

Boolit Master
    Trail Boss maybe? IMR has a formula that calculates the charge weights. I'll post that when I get home.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master

Spend some time on this site. There is lots of data for light loads in .35 Rem. Scroll down to .35 rem by bullet weights.

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, guys for this information. I know that this may not be the right forum, but I was hoping to use jacketed bullets. I loaded some cast for practice. Thought the J's might be more expanding. By the way, I don't have any Trail Boss.

Vince

Boolit Master

Let's go the other way . . .

Cut out some guesswork and supposition

What powders do you have to use for your loads???

I just guessing from some previous posts here and other places that you may be better served by 158 soft points.

358156 or 358429 may serve you well also.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 09-12-2013 at 10:13 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

I had a similar plan for my 9 yr old daughter; Trailboss and a NOE 360 - 180 HP in my 350 Rem Mag. She did not want to shoot it last weekend since the cartridge is fairly large, but her 6 yr old brother did and hit the gong a 175 yds with it. Recoil in a very light rifle (right a 6 lbs) is about like a 2-1/2" 410.
    PM me and I will send you some of the 180 gr HP's; they weigh about 173 gr or so.

Boolit Master

A couple of years ago I played with some Hornady 158gr xtp Hollow points in my 35 for a plinking load. I'ts a '68 model 336. I used 20 grains of 2400 for a velocity of around 1,700 fps. This load came from the Hornady fourth edition manual. 19.8 grains is their starting charge and they go up to 25.8 grains for a velocity of 2,200 fps. I found this load not to be such a "plinker" load, and recoil was a little stronger than I expected. I agree with the post above which suggested the XPT soft point instead. I've had good luck with the 300 grain 44 cal xtp hollow point working well but I think I would trust the soft point bullet a little better for penetration in the 35 bore. I have data for a few other powders if you don't have 2400. If the 20.0 grain charge proves to be too much recoil for her you can work the load down for comfortable levels. I wouldn't hesitate to use that bullet in the 1,300 to 1,400 fps range to hunt our whitetails at reasonably short ranges if needed.
    Good Luck, and Good Luck to your daughter,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Vince -

FWIW -

My testing .35 Rem in 24" M-336 XLR showed 14.5gr TRAILBOSS as max amount I could get into the case, under "J"-word Rem 150 PSPs .
    This was w/ very light compression ( if you cold even call it that ).

My most accurate load in the rifle has been: 18.6gr IMR4759 under Rem 150PSP. Of these two loads, the IMR4759 load featured noticeably more recoil, even when both loads already low-recoiling " reduced " loads.

I have not shot a deer with either load, but my sense of it is that the Trialboss load would not have reliable/adequate power ( IMHO ).

My most recent .35Rem testing included Hornady 140XTP. 17.1 gr seems a practical mx, as the 140 "J"-words show keyholing on paper @ 100yd.

Hope this helps ?

With regards,
    357Mag

I am pursuing something similar to you. I plan to start with trail boss and work my way up the velocity ladder possibly with another powder if I hit a wall with the boss.

My starting load is a 95/2/3 lead tin antimony alloy 158 grain lee tumble groove with 9-13.8 grains of trailboss. I have shot any yet but look forward to shooting them out of my Marlin microgroove 336.

Last edited by Djones; 09-20-2013 at 07:04 AM.

Boolit Master

I loaded 10 grains of Red Dot under a 190 grain Ranch Dog boolit, and got a load with good pop that wasn't a shoulder breaker.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Djones View Post
    I am pursuing something similar to you. I plan to start with trail boss and work my way up the velocity ladder possibly with another powder if I hit a wall with the boss.

My starting load is a 95/2/3 lead tin antimony alloy 158 grain lee tumble groove with 10 grains of trailboss. I have shot any yet but look forward to shooting them out of my Marlin microgroove 336.

I tried SWC's in my 336 and it hated them. Too much unsupported nose I guess. The ranch dog boolits were made with the 336 chamber and leade in mind.
    Last edited by DanWalker; 09-18-2013 at 04:34 PM.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master

Below is a passage from this link:
    http://www.leverguns.com/articles/pa...nleverguns.htm

I took one 35 Rem/Marlin and cut the barrel and tube back and the stock to 10 inches for my first daughter when she was small. Loading the 173 grain Keith cast bullet over 16 grains of 2400 gave around 1200 to 1300 fps with out any recoil. And she learned to shoot well with that gun. When she was old enough and her sister was coming up behind her. I suggested she give it to her sister and I would get her something else...but she surprised me...she bought a full sized stock and restocked it. With a small 4 power scope and full power loads she now can harvest most of what the lower 48 states have to offer. So I had to get a new one and do surgery all over again for the younger sister.

END OF LINK

If you choose to not use cast, try to find some Hornady 158 JSP XTP. these are the soft point and not hollow pointed. Work up a load that is comfortable for your daughter. Better yet, buy a hundred 180 gr. Cast from these folks and work up a comfortable load. http://www.bslbullet.com/185-grain-r...base-p-24.html

Boolit Grand Master

Hodgdon has a whole discussion and formula for making light loads with H4895, specifically for
    kids loads in rifles. Look it up on their site.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I use a 190gr Ranch Dog over unique. The exact weight escapes me now. Makes 1500 fps and is light. I don't know if it's 9 yr old light. I believe I found my info from castpics here on cast.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt