WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: 222

In Remembrance

Does anybody use cast and download the 222's to around 22 mag performance? If so how well does it work for you.

Boolit Master
    That is exactly what I am doing with my "new" 222 Contender barrel. It shoots great with 6.8 gr of Unique and a 55 gr boollit. I have a 22 mag T/C barrel as well and the 222 with that load is more accurate so far. The 222 is less than half the price to shoot than the 22 mag. even with the gas check figured in.

In Remembrance
    Sounds good. There is an old 340 in 222 for sale, I am trying to make my mind up on. I have no real use for a 222, but it would be nice to be able to have something similar to the 22 mag that I could reload. I would love to have the 22 ccm, but that just isn't in the cards right now.

In .223, I am loading the Lyman 45 grain boolit over 5.7 grains of Green Dot (thanks to Jim's data). One-hole accuracy at 50 yards. I see no reason that it couldn't be duplicated with the 222.

In Remembrance
    I had forgotten about Jims work with the 223, may have to look for it. I haven't made up my mind to buy it yet, trying to talk myself into I would have a use for it. lol

The price is not bad, but someone has removed the factory sights and installed a blank dovetail in the rear and screws in the front, so I would have to find one of the side scope mounts too.

Boolit Master
    The 222 is far more forgiving and easier to load with cast than the 223 as I have discovered since I am doing both calibers with cast in Contender barrels (one pistol and one carbine).

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    The 222 is far more forgiving and easier to load with cast than the 223 as I have discovered since I am doing both calibers with cast in Contender barrels (one pistol and one carbine).
    I have read this before, no experience with either one, cast or jacketed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by excess650 View Post
    That being the case, I have a Ruger #1 22 Hornet to work with. I should be able to make it work with cast beyond 22WMR spec, and inexpensive to load for besides.
    Green with envy - GREEN I TELL YOU! Man I would love to have a #1 in 22 Hornet...

Boolit Buddy

If I couldn't have a 22 Hornet, 222 would be my next choice. I think that a 222 with the Lyman 225438 and a dose of TrailBoss would sing some critters to sleep with a soft lulaby.
    Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory.

Boolit Buddy
    Have a 222 and Lyman 225438 but still haven't loaded any cast in it yet.
    Using surplus 22mag projectiles 11gr AR-2205 gives me 1850fps and enough accuracy for small game to 100y.
    I expect similar results from the Lyman when I use up what I have loaded with the mag pills and make the swap.