Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MVA scopes

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Kurt I sure like these DZ mounts I have, and I'm a betting that once you get that scope mounted in those you're going to be shooting that combo for a long time. That will likely make you and that big 44 a really serious threat on the long lines.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

I'm going to research them a lot more to see if they will work at long range using the 28" MVA scope.
    If they work as well as the unertl scope I had it would make it top notch.

The 100 did pretty well at Lodi despite the two cross fires and two complete misses because I couls not see the target and number boards right

Kurt I could send you these mounts and you could run them a bit before you bought some. Won't be needing them till next spring.

That's kind of you Don. But no don't send them. Things get lost in the mail sometimes.
    I will ask guys like you that use them on what the short fall is using them from close range to at least 1200 that they will get used at.

You might call DZ and visit with them a bit. I've only used them with the 18 inch scope and 7.5 inch centers.
    I'll ask Micheal what distance centers he's using with those (we're slated to shoot part of the midrange matches together next week) , but I think his scope is a 23 inch. I do know he had no trouble whackin the 10 ring at 1k with his 38-70.

Pick his brain a little when your together if you have time to do so.
    I can always change the blocks if needed to go close and for the Creedmoor ranges that would not be a problem with the 28" scope.

What spacing are your blocks right now?

It's 17"

According to the info on DZ's chart with an 18 inch scope that would give you 80 minutes of elevation.

Don.

18" scope or 18" spacing of the blocks?
    My scope setting with the 17" block spacing is 75 @ 1000yds at Lodi and 72 at the Alliance 1000. the setting for 100 yards is 2. So it should work unless the adjustment is different on the AZ mounts and I'm missing something.

Kurt that's for an 18 inch scope on 17 inch center blocks with the DZ mounts.
    Put a bit taller rear block than than the front and I'm thinking it'll make the distance.

Boolit Buddy
    With any externally adjustable mounts--Unertl, Fecker, DZ, et. al.--it's the distance between mounts that is important, not the scope length, IIRC. I shoot a 36" tube sight, and the adjustments mirror my scope adjustments. True, the ends of the scope or tube move farther per click as the scope/tube increases, but it's about the angle of the sight/scope that does the trick. I suppose you could mount MVA's longest scope in DZ mounts, and then the short HiLux Malcolm, and the point of impact would move the same on target per click. Angles. Geometry. Longer block spacing decreases the angle change per click. So, by increasing the block spacing, you effectively decrease the range of adjustment at the target your mounts will give you because it takes more clicks to accomplish the same angle change. With longer block spacing you may need to have rear blocks of differing heights to get on at a variety of ranges.

Boolit Master
    Does anyone know when the original Unertl style mounts were first made? Were they available before the Sharps company shut it's doors? I have been thinking of a set of those DZ mounts, maybe for one of my highwalls though.

Thanks,

Chris.

If you go look at Cornell publishings web site you can find reprints of catalogs, so that might be about as good of a way to date the Unertl. I don't believe they started until after the turn of the century, but stil plenty "authentic" enough to mount on an 85.

Unertl has only been around since the mid 30's the Fecker scope has been around longer.
    Both are top notch scops and mounts. I have used both on bench rifles.

Boolit Buddy
    Unertl worked for Fecker before going on his own. Other manufacturers made various externally adjustable mounts before Unertl too.

Boolit Mold
    Bought a old Navy Arms brass scope 3/4"x 32" optics are clear. I would like to mount it on my Hepburn 45-70 for silhouette matches but need mounts. Anyone have a set of mounts they are willing to sale?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12