WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Headspacing on Enfield 2-A-

Boolit Master at heavens range

Headspacing on Enfield 2-A-

Just got the British Enfield 2-A. - 7.62 ,10-23-07, for $99.00 from Aims. I put a 308 case in rifle, I pushed out the old primer alot. I put it back in the chamber and let the bolt seat the primer, It stuckout .017 , Going to shoot a few rds. with cast bullets and seat the bullet way out to fire form. and see what it looks like. Whats you all think, anyone know anything about the P&H rear sight for these, I have one and dont fit right. Thanks- Joe,
    Last edited by smokemjoe; 10-24-2007 at 05:09 PM.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by smokemjoe View Post
    I put a 308 case in the chamber that was fired from a match rifle, I pushed out the old primer alot. I put it back in the chamber and let the bolt seat the primer, It stuckout .028 , Going to shoot a few rds. with cast bullets and seat the bullet way out to fire form. and see what it looks like. Whats you all think, anyone know anything about the P&H rear sight for these, I have one and dont fit right. Thanks- Joe
    I have one also. The chamber is cut for war and follows the british practice of allowing for crud by being oversize. I would say that it is plenty big and long. I like the rifle myself. I would dedicate the cases to that rifle and fireform them to that chamber. The best way to do that is pick a 20k to 25K load for cast and put some lube on the outside of the case. This allows the case to slid back and fireform without any stretching or web thinning. Fire them all, then clean the chamber and the brass. Reload the brass without setting the shoulder back. This works fine doing this. I do this with any rifle that has chamber issues. An extra set of dies, set up just for the rifle is a good idea also.

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    I have one also. The chamber is cut for war and follows the british practice of allowing for crud by being oversize. I would say that it is plenty big and long. I like the rifle myself. I would dedicate the cases to that rifle and fireform them to that chamber. The best way to do that is pick a 20k to 25K load for cast and put some lube on the outside of the case. This allows the case to slid back and fireform without any stretching or web thinning. Fire them all, then clean the chamber and the brass. Reload the brass without setting the shoulder back. This works fine doing this. I do this with any rifle that has chamber issues. An extra set of dies, set up just for the rifle is a good idea also.
    I used a case from a match chamber 1 st. time and the shoulder was set back on it for my rifle. Now I used a std. resized case and the headspacing came into at. 017 which is still to much. I am going to shoot it Thurdays with the primer seated out . If this dont work I will sweat a shim on the bolt face at .030 and face it of in the lathe to fit the case to the chamber. Thanks for reading, JOe

Boolit Buddy
    Smokemjoe
    Wouldn't sizing down and trimming a 30-06 case down to your chamber diamensions work alot better? Just a thought or am I crazy?
    Good luck
    Chuck

Boolit Bub
    Joe: I have some experience with the Parker Hale sights for SMLE's - what seems to be the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelshooter View Post
    Smokemjoe
    Wouldn't sizing down and trimming a 30-06 case down to your chamber diamensions work alot better? Just a thought or am I crazy?
    Good luck
    Chuck
    Thats a fine idea,Thanks - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by cr17 View Post
    Joe: I have some experience with the Parker Hale sights for SMLE's - what seems to be the problem?
    1st. the back side is flat. The bottom screw will fit good. The top hole on the back side is counter bored, The part on the safety dosent come close to going into it or the pin on the saftey. Thanks- Joe

Arrow

Use a slightly oversize expander ball and adjust your die to give a false shoulder for headspace.I learned to do this years ago forming brass for my 7mm Gibbs.
    Last edited by rugerman1; 10-24-2007 at 09:12 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Joe - PM sent on the sight

Boolit Master
    why not spent 15 bucks, buy a lee hand loader and just neck size.........
    i often buy a lee loader when i buy a rifle.
    mike
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by smokemjoe View Post
    If this dont work I will sweat a shim on the bolt face at .030 and face it of in the lathe to fit the case to the chamber. JOe
    I have heli-arced the face of the bolt head before, redrilled the firing pin hole and turned the face down for a perfect headspace on these before. Try to not get the bolt face too hot while doing this though.