Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 35 Remington 336

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    I found a good trick this morning. I need a way to expand the case mouth for cast and the brass won't fit inside my 38/357 Lee expander so I took the expander piece out of the 38/357 die and dropped it I to my 45 colt expander. Viola!! Worked perfect! Play with the adjustment just a tad and I get a perfect tiny little bell that'll guide the boolit right on in there.

Saved me a few bucks!

Good job! My 38/357 die set is RCBS, if the body had been a little longer I wouldn't have bothered with the M-type. OTOH I've got a growing assortment of custom expanders for my Lyman M-type so I guess it was worthwhile. I like the expander die that comes with RCBS's Cowboy dies, ordered an extra expander to use one body for 30-30 and 32 WS. "Replacement" expander was only about $7. Didn't think about putting my 38/357 expander in there.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Man this sucker has a short throat compared to rifles I've been loading for.

I loaded my first few cartridges this morning and test chambered them. I've got everything worked out but it seems the rifling engages about .050 from the case mouth.
    I've got a good feeling though, I seated a 158g RCBS RN plain base with the base of the boolit at the bottom of the neck. No exposed boolit in the case, and the rifling engraves on the boolit, but only mild pressure is needed to close the bolt and extraction was smooth and did not disturb the boolit. I'm inclined to think that that will shoot quite well. We'll find out!

Boolit Grand Master

Mine gives me trouble with factory Rem ammo! Near zero throat.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Okay,it is entirely possible that I have just found the rifle I have spent years searching for.

Went to the range today. The other night I removed the buckhorn rear sight and installed a Williams receiver sight. Got to the range today with 20 factory 150g Remingtons I wanted to shoot up for the brass and 50 rounds I loaded myself. I shot three rounds and had the sights dead on at 25 yards. I shot the rest of the box and made a nasty ragged hole out of the x ring. The 50 rounds I loaded consisted of 200g corelokt over 32.0g of AA2015 which shot half a hair low at 25. I won't be shooting these much, if at all.
    My next load was meant for fun and nothing else. It was a 158g RCBS plain base round nose over 9.5g of Unique. It was dead on at 25 and the clay targets set on the berms exploded like a nuke! Easy shooter, low noise and scary how accurate them little boogers were.
    Last load is going to be my workhorse load. It's an RCBS 200g flat point that when lubed and checked weighs in at 209-210g cast from air cooled wheel weights, lubed with Bens Red and sized .359. That's the same sizer I use for my 38 spl so I gave it whirl. Loaded over 30.0g of AA2015 should be close to 1750fps
    It shot dead nutz at 25 yards. Recoil was stiff but not abusive. You know you fired a good load but it wasn't punishing. So, moved out to 100 yards. My self imposed ceiling for this rifle (iron sights & crappy eyes) shooting off a folded blanket at clay targets. My first shot was dead on elevation, about two inches left. Using a 3'oclock hold I proceeded bust clay after clay after clay. I was VERY surprised that elevation was the same point of aim at 100 as it was at 25. Confused but VERY happy.

No way I could stand to shoot more than 30-40 rounds of the 200g flat point in one outing but I could shoot the 158's all day long.

Funniest thing. Out of ten shot string from two rifles, I hit more clays with the iron sight Marlin than I did with a scoped .308!!!

The way I figure it, i will never drill and tap,this rifle so it'll never see a scope. Therefore, I don't see a need to play with powder charges for these particular boolits.

Happy, happy, happy!!

Boolit Master
    I've got to try out a couple more boolits next. A plain base Keith 158g and a swc gas check 158g.
    I bet I could drive the tar out of that gas check swc!

...oh yeah, icing on the cake! The bore had a few little freckles in grooves when I got it that i didnt notice at first and wouldn't wipe out with a patch. I opted not to use a brush and just shoot it. They're gone, the bore sparkles after a couple dry patches and I challenge you to find ANY leading.

I can see dust collecting on my other rifles for a while.
    THIS is what I've been looking for! The slight obscurity of brass is meaningless after a performance like today.

Boolit Man
    Nice looking rifle. 35 Rem is such a cool round. I have a 1981 336 / 35 and love mine.

Boolit Grand Master

I found one a number of years ago with a cracked stock. Got the gun for about $200 because of that and spent some time on the porch with a file and sandpaper working on an unfinished one I got from either Brownells or Numrich, I can't remember which. Oiled the walnut when I got it to fit and used the rifle to take several nice deer and a bear. Great caliber for woods hunting and about all you need for the North Eastern US.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

There's something about the 35 Rem! If you think it's impressive at the range wait until you take it to the field, your 336 is one awesome hunting rifle.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Old post but I just traded for a Marlin 336 35Rem. No ammo locally much less brass, I can't even enjoy this ole girl.
    Winchester mod100 308
    Rem700 270
    98 308 Mauser
    98 7mmMag Mauser
    98 8X57 mauser
    95 7X57 mauser
    336 30-30
    (2) 336 35Rem
    AR-15 223
    AR-15 6.8spc
    AR-15 6.5 Grendel
    Too many shotguns

Boolit Grand Master

Congrats! I think loaded ammo is currently available from Remington and as I think was posted above and/or elsewhere the brass seems to hold up well for several firings. What boolit are you going to try?

I traded for a newer 35rem with Saftey a month ago, very clean Marlin but I wanted a older model. This one is a '75 JM stamped, a little rough. Sat in a attic for 20yrs, nice freckles all over. I've got 150gr core locs to load and a good handful of 190gr Ranchdogs. I'm hoping the Ranchdogs work out. I made 50pcs brass from 308, I'll try them out soon as the weather clears up. I'd still like to pick up factory brass. Anyone else using the Ranchdog?
    Winchester mod100 308
    Rem700 270
    98 308 Mauser
    98 7mmMag Mauser
    98 8X57 mauser
    95 7X57 mauser
    336 30-30
    (2) 336 35Rem
    AR-15 223
    AR-15 6.8spc
    AR-15 6.5 Grendel
    Too many shotguns

I have an old waffle top Marlin that came drilled and tapped (not factory) for a scope. Mine has the 24" barrel and has proven effective on deer. The Hornady FTX 200 grain is an excellent round for the rifle and currently all I can find. Otherwise I handload it as I have built up a brass collection over the years. Lever powder works quite well in the rifle and should work with either cast or jacketed. Like another poster stated the Remington Corelok has been an old standby for this caliber. I see no reason to use lighter weight bullets except for plinking.

DP

Banned

I have that same 24" barreled variant waffle top. It shot well with the bulk Remington core lokts and IMR 3031. Lately have started messing with a Remington 141 and the NOE clone of the RCBS 200 grain FP which shoots well.

The .35 Remington is a better killer than its "paper ballistics" would lead a guy to believe. There was someone with some brass for sale on the swapping and selling forum a few days ago. Keep your eyes open, it's not that rare.

Boolit Master
    Check the vendor sponsor section. Grumpa makes .35 Remington brass from .308 cases for a very reasonable cost. I have bought from him before and have been extremely pleased with the results.

Doc

Boolit Grand Master

Anyone else using the Ranchdog? -La Dano

Yes, awesome boolit. The Remington 35-200 may be better but I've had excellent luck with that bullet as long as Scopekiller (my 336) wasn't living up to her name. Good record of DRT's while hunting, even broke both shoulders on a big hog last time out.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got four 35 Remingtons, a 1938 Rem 141 pump, a 2003 limited run 7600 Rem pump, and two Marlins ( a 1963 336RC and a 1979 336C). The old 35 Remington is my second favorite cartridge following the .358 Win. All wear scopes (except the Rem 141 pump) due to my diabetic failing eyes. The Marlins chop one big hole at fifty yards if I do my part. I load +P level pressures due to factory loads being loaded anemically in defference to some of the older .35's out there. With 200 grain jacketed bullets my 336SC does 2250fps, the 336C does 2300fps, and the 7600 does 2400fps, all with identical RL-12 powder charges. If I can't harvest whatever I'm hunting with any of the above listed loads, I'm staying home and playing Yahtzee with my wife of 43 years. My cast boolit of choice is the RCBS 35-200 on top of a medium charge of 2400 @ 1700fps.

358 Win

Boolit Master
    DeanW -

Howdy !

If you can't find any .35 Rem brass, I believe 6.5 Arisaka brass will serve, in a pinch. Not a lot of brass re-work required.

With regards,
    357Mag

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123