Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationPBcastco
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 577/500 rifle

Boolit Mold

577/500 rifle

Good Afternoon, Gents.

I'm new to the forum. I have been lurking about these parts for several months before I registered in July. Over the years I have somehow accumulated a significant amount of bullet casting equipment. (molds, electric pots, lubri-sizers etc) I've loaded and fired a lot of cast bullets, just never casted any. I'm correcting that. I have found this forum to be a wealth of information.

I have a long term project that is slowly coming to fruition. I have a WW Greener 577/500 #2 nitro express double rifle. Over the last 35 years I have accumulated a set of RCBS custom made forming and loading dies + shell holder + rockchucker bushing; a single cavity Colorado Shooters' Supply mold; some BELL basic brass and finally some Bertram pre-formed brass. I have scrounged up the original loadings from Eley in England + found some "newer" black powder and 777 load data. I'm ready to load!

Note: The dies and mold were made from chamber castings of the rifle itself, so I'm fairly confident that they are both technically accurate for the rifle. The mold was based on the original 360 gr pure lead load.

Here is the predicament: The actual diameter of the cast bullets is .521 to .523. The expansion plug for the loading dies is .511. That means that there is a .012 difference between the expanded case Vs. the bullet. From reading the Stickys.....and there are a lot of them.... it seems that the neck size should be .002 - .015 smaller than the bullet. Even so, I'm just a little leery of attempting to stuff that extra 12 thousands into the case. I'd like to be maybe 2 - 4 thousands

Lyman, RCBS and Lee don't make expander plugs that big. Anyone know who makes them bigger? I may be out to lunch on this, too, so I'm also up for discussion or other suggestions.

Gents, thanks for your time.

Watch yer 6!
    Dave Renn

Boolit Master
    I had the same problem when Loading a 500 3' nitro on My Reilly double. Conventional bullets were to large . I have been using a Mussel loader bullet . Lyman shocker in soft lead that works Fine. Most of the doubles will shoot any thing.
    My 577NE i use a 58 cal Maxi Ball . works well at 50 to 100 yards .I no longer cast either .
    The only One I still cast for are my 470 doubles
    I learned to Improvise
    Sal
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    Mr. Renn,

Welcome aboard, nice to hear from another double rifle shooter. Making an expander for your die set is not a big job. If you know someone that has a lathe they should be able to help you. It doesn't sound like you're anywhere near Central Oregon so I probably can't be of much help.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Vendor Sponsor

Hello and welcome, Lee makes a universal expander die that is basically a cone shaped plug in a die body. I think the larger plug (you get two) may work for you.

If not then make a plug on a lathe and use that. It would be easy to make the lede on the plug to the size you want the case to be and then put a little chamfer at the end to flare the case mouth so the lead doesn't shave.

There are also tapered drive pin punches you can find at most Hardware Stores that you could jam in the case to flare it , but that way is not very precise.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

The Lee die is a belling die. I have one. It does not size the case like an expander plug.
    Our member Buckshot can probably make what you need for a nominal price. Send him a PM.

Take care, Tom

Boolit Master

drenn, welcome.

Its about time!