Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which wadcuter ?

Banned
    For years I've heard people say that one WC is as good as the rest but I can't say that's been true in my experience.

gwpercle- thanks for the info on the NOE 160-WC. That may be something to look into.

Interestingly, my RCBS 38-148-WC drops bullets on the heavy side with my alloy and it has proven to be one of the better WC's I've found.

I also agree that driving them a bit faster has shown promise.

The 38 Special is my favorite handgun cartridge and every time I think there's nothing else to learn it proves me wrong.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    For years I've heard people say that one WC is as good as the rest but I can't say that's been true in my experience.

gwpercle- thanks for the info on the NOE 160-WC. That may be something to look into.

Interestingly, my RCBS 38-148-WC drops bullets on the heavy side with my alloy and it has proven to be one of the better WC's I've found.

I also agree that driving them a bit faster has shown promise.

The 38 Special is my favorite handgun cartridge and every time I think there's nothing else to learn it proves me wrong.
    I totally agree P&P ,
    I have tried every 38 mould design I could get my hands on new and old , looking for the ultimate 38 special accuracy boolit/load.
    I stumbled on this Lyman 358432 mould in a ebay auction , had never seen or used one before...not one person bid on it . It was advertised as a 148 grain weight ...I think the 160 grain weight and the nose profile might have something to do with it's accuracy. I was happy with the accuracy with 2.8 grains of Bullseye...I have a sneaking suspicion 3.5 might be better...I'm going to load some up.
    Do look into the NOE design....it's a winner ! PM me a mailing address and I will cast some up and mail them to you to try.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 08-03-2018 at 06:16 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

There have been a few articles written over the years about the 160 WC, mostly on how hard it seems to hit. I have a sc and think you did well.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I have both the Lyman version and the NOE version. My Lyman weights in at 148 grains. My NOE weighs in at 148 grains also since I cast it in the hollow point configuration.
    Both are extremely accurate and do their best when pushed. With the nose shaped like it is, there is the same amount of lead inside the case as with a standard SWC type boolit.
    This lets a person use the same loads as for an SWC of the same weight. Works like a champ.
    You get the wadcutter accuracy and the power of a SWC. Best of both worlds.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I totally agree P&P ,
    I have tried every 38 mould design I could get my hands on new and old , looking for the ultimate 38 special accuracy boolit/load.
    I stumbled on this Lyman 358432 mould in a ebay auction , had never seen or used one before...not one person bid on it . It was advertised as a 148 grain weight ...I think the 160 grain weight and the nose profile might have something to do with it's accuracy. I was happy with the accuracy with 2.8 grains of Bullseye...I have a sneaking suspicion 3.5 might be better...I'm going to load some up.
    Do look into the NOE design....it's a winner ! PM me a mailing address and I will cast some up and mail them to you to try.
    Gary

Story, I just noticed this post.

Thanks you for the offer Gary. I actually have some wadcutters that are close to that weight range and I'm playing with those as time permits. So for now I'm just going to plug along with what I have. I'm looking at the NOE design and it's tempting but I'm trying to keep my standard loads and bullet mold inventory to a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I agree. I have several 38's in SWC and RNFP design that chamber perfectly in the rifle and are the same weights. I just like the perfect round "paper punch" holes the WC's I have cut in the targets when I shoot them. And others at the range cannot believe how clean AND accurate a "flat hunk-o-lead" can be.

Bangerjim
    I should have added 5 years ago that in addition to the very sharp holes in paper. WC bullets do more damaged to tissue, blood and nerves that either RN or SWC. For me, a good 38 RN like Lyman 358311, delivers the best accuracy for me on paper or range plinking. If critters are a possibility, the the full WC is best.

You can step up the velocity of the full WC and it will maintain accuracy at longer range. I like to load 357 magnum brass loads to 1,000 to 1,100 fps. Very accurate, easy on mid-frame guns and recoil is only moderate. It will also be a very good self defense load, but expect it to exit the bad guy, so be sure of what is behind him or her. It would not be a good load for people rich environments.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123