Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which wadcuter ?

Banned

Which wadcuter ?

I'm torn between two 38 Wadcutter mold designs.
    The first is the RCBS 38-148WC
    The second is the Saeco 3 Cavity #053

The pros for the RCBS are: currently available, cheaper, I have RCBS handles. The cons are: 2 cavity, Not exactly the design I'm seeking

The pros for the Saeco #053 are: Single grease groove, larger bearing surface, 3 cavity. The cons are: must be special ordered, I would likely need Saeco handles, higher cost.

I'm intrigued by the Saeco design with its button nose, crimping grove, lots of bearing surface and single grease groove. It may not work at all but I really want to give it a try.
    The RCBS is a known item, and cheaper.

Any thoughts? Experience, free wisdom, Just plain ol' Opinions ?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have used the Saeco #348 double-end WC with complete success for many years. Generally load with the sprue cutoff forward, from Martini action test platform with Green Mountain barrel and 6X Unertl scope expect 1-1/2" average of long series of 5-shot groups at 50 yards with 3.2-3.5 grs. of Bullseye. Also works well in custom PPC revolvers and Colt .38 NM pistols.

Boolit Master
    OPINION:

1) Have Tom at Accurate Molds design you a custom mold to your exact specs !
    2) You will have it in your hands in a couple weeks.
    3) His molds will work with inexpensive LEE handles or RCBS handles.
    4) Tom’s molds a VERY pretty ! (Read outstanding craftsmanship)
    5) Tom will work with you to get the design you want and you approve the drawing!

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Banned
    Accurate Molds, Very tempting.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a fan of Mihec's HBWC mold.

Just loaded some last night

I ordered this mold not to long ago so he might have some left. If not I would not hesitate to order one from Accurate.

Boolit Grand Master

The two options you list are a button nose wadcutter or a button nose wadcutter... Get the Lee button nose wadcutter in a 6 cavity and go shooting.

It is hard to find a bad 38 wadcutter in the 145 - 150 grain range. Button nose, doubled ended doesn't make a difference to me. Chose whichever version strikes your fancy. Alloy and powder charge are far more important.

I would however eschew the HB designs. They can be very accurate, but presents some special loading issues.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I also have the Lee 6 banger - very happy with it !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I would however eschew the HB designs. They can be very accurate, but presents some special loading issues.
    You just have to use small charges and don't push them hard to keep the skirts intact. The smallest hole in the Lee PAD drops a perfect 3 grain charge of W231 so they load like everything else. People tend to push them to hard which leads to problems.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Sort of related........

I have the Lee "slug WC" 6 hole mold. I ordered it thinking I could load and shoot the 38's in a Rossi 92 lever action rifle. Well everyone jams. The gun is looking for a nose boolit!

I have about 500 WC's of unknown maker I got for a buck a pound at the scrap yard and they shoot perfect. They have a smaller head sticking out beyond the crimp groove that allows the cart to chamber correctly. I want more of these. Any ideas?

GLL.......They may be like the 1st picture above. Do you have a picture of the cast boolit?

I now have a Lee 6banger I will never used!

bangerjim

Boolit Master
    bangerjim:

The photo is actually a .44 mold just to show Tom's work.
    He does make a equivalent as a 36-155 and will modify it to fit your particular needs and specs !

AM 36-155W

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Le Loup Solitaire
    Generally, wadcutters perform pretty much the same if loaded properly. They do not have to have a nose or front section that protrudes from the case mouth as evidenced by flat faced designs that are seated flush with the case mouth as loaded for the S&W M52, Double ended wadcutters have the advantage of being able to loaded with either end facing forward. With wadcutters that have more than one lube groove it has been found that lube in only one groove is sufficient for accurate shooting. Whether a crimp is necessary is for the loader/shooter to determine. Powder charges for wadcutters are usually on the lighter side as they are for shorter ranges and target work. In windy conditions WC's shoot from not-so-hot to punk as their blunt shape tends to make them "skid". There is no evidence that a button nose design shoots any better than a flat faced one. Whether you need a 2,3,4 or 6 cavity mold depends on what your individual needs are in terms of numbers. The more cavs=higher input. There are a lot more choices around these days and all of them appear to be good quality. LLS

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Sort of related........
    I have the Lee "slug WC" 6 hole mold. I ordered it thinking I could load and shoot the 38's in a Rossi 92 lever action rifle. Well everyone jams. The gun is looking for a nose boolit!
    I have about 500 WC's of unknown maker I got for a buck a pound at the scrap yard and they shoot perfect. They have a smaller head sticking out beyond the crimp groove that allows the cart to chamber correctly. I want more of these. Any ideas?

GLL.......They may be like the 1st picture above. Do you have a picture of the cast boolit?
    I now have a Lee 6banger I will never used!
    bangerjim
    Do they look like my Hensley ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I'm torn between two 38 Wadcutter mold designs.
    How are you gonna lube them ? Lube sizer ?
    I have had problems with lubing bevel base WC boolits, til I figured out how to plug the holes of my 358 die for my Lyman 45.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    How are you gonna lube them ? Lube sizer ?
    I have had problems with lubing bevel base WC boolits, til I figured out how to plug the holes of my 358 die for my Lyman 45.
    yep, lubersizer. That's one of the reasons I'm looking at the Saeco design. That single lube groove would allow just enough lube for a wadcuuter (lots of folks say to only lube one groove on a wadcutter for the best accuracy) AND lots of bearing surface for that solid wadcutter design. I know there's little difference between bevel base and flat base bullets in terms of shooting but that flat base is easier to deal with in terms of the lubersizer operation

Boolit Master
    I have used Lee 148 WC-TL & the Lee 148 WC ( nos. 90279 & 90312) as well as a Lyman 358495....darn if I can tell any difference in accuracy. The TL is too messy to my liking, the Lyman is but a SC so I use the Lee 148 90312 most of the time. As I have two pistols and a Marlin 1894C in the .357 Magnum, I found that shooting WC's in them are wonderful for plinking cans out to 100'...I use 5.0 grains of Promo (or Red Dot)... IMHO no sense to shoot heavier loads for that type of shooting. One can have some fun with their buddies "competing" when then use heavier loads...

Unless a fellow really has a need to cut a sharp edged clean hole in a paper target, that fellow would be better off with a good RN or SWC bullet. Just as accurate in most cases, and doesn't present some of the special loading issues associated with the full wadcutter.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I aqurried a Model 52 a few years ago and went on the hunt for an accurate WC to feed it.

Tried the DEWC's, shot OK, tried button nose of two different designs, shot OK, never could find a Seaco DE with the single lube groove and, just as I was about to pay the full price for one, someone started a GB for Mehic on a HBWC in a multi cavity mold!

I had a little input into that First GB and bought one, best shooting mold I'd tried to date and very easy to cast with.

It does require a match case, straight case wall internally and I bought about 700 of these once fired off Gun Broker, for best results but I sold all the other lyman molds I had tried to fund this HBWC and now wish I'd bought two!

If your looking to do something besides put holes in paper any wadcutter will work for you if you want top notch accuracy the HBWC's are worth the additional work in the loading room.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Do they look like my Hensley ?

Those are it! Thanks for listing it as now I know what brand of mold was used. I don't see these anywhere anymore, but Accurate can make it.

Again Thanks!

bangerjim

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Unless a fellow really has a need to cut a sharp edged clean hole in a paper target, that fellow would be better off with a good RN or SWC bullet. Just as accurate in most cases, and doesn't present some of the special loading issues associated with the full wadcutter.

I agree. I have several 38's in SWC and RNFP design that chamber perfectly in the rifle and are the same weights. I just like the perfect round "paper punch" holes the WC's I have cut in the targets when I shoot them. And others at the range cannot believe how clean AND accurate a "flat hunk-o-lead" can be.

Bangerjim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast