MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips and Tricks for the first session on a new rl550b

Boolit Master
    Lots of great advise so far, but I'll throw in a couple of extras...

As noted before, the primer catcher can be a pain. It pivots on a small cotter; that's the problem 'cuz it gets sticky. Drill the hole a little bigger, then put a single pin through it, not a cotter. Also, another caster suggested taking a small magnet and attaching it to the top of the swivel-part of the catcher. That provides enough weight to guarantee that the swivel drops back into position each time the tray is lowered...

If you deprime with the Dillon (ie: handgun reloads), the press WILL get dirty. Clean it frequently. Also, spent primers will sometimes disassemble when punched out, and you will have an anvil or even a whole primer get into a space where it doesn't belong. If the press doesn't seem to be working smoothly, stop and inspect thoroughly for debris in unexpected places.

Don't go too fast. Primers can jump out of the cup on the priming tool. (See above)

I have found that I need to rotate the powder canister around to find the "sweet spot" on my press. Sometimes the rod (that operates the powder throw mechanism) gets bound up and impedes the handle operation. Tweaking the position of the powder assembly on the tool head realigns the rod and removes that annoying characteristic.

When you adjust your dies, remember it's a work in progress... I set them with a single case to get close, but the shell plate will flex a little. So you gotta reset the adjustment with all stations filled, priming, seating bullets and setting the crimp. That's the only real setting that matters; when they're all doing their job, so that's what you adjust to.

If you have to stop and fix something, take any charged cases out of the press so you don't double charge. Walk them through singly to complete, or empty them and start over... Up to you... but don't raise the shell plate twice in the same position. (As stated previously)

Oh yeah... get more toolheads...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sirAIG View Post
    Thanks for all the tips everyone. Loaded a hundred or so real slow and taking my time. Started to get into the groove of things and noticed that I started to get primers upside down in the primer seating cup. I know for a fact I loaded all of them the proper way as I got a primer flip tray just for loading the pickup tubes. Any idea what could be causing this?
    Cycle it without any brass in there... are they upside down when they present??? Every one of them???

Simple, I know... if it's occasional, then I'd say you don't have the primer cup centered under the shellplate... If the spring-loaded edge of the cup catches just a bit, it can flip the primer over before it's seated...

I took a lot of time to set the primer cup so it was centered... I do not believe that is the issue, and it isnt every time. Maybe 5-10% of the time? Over 100 rounds I found ~5-10.
    Actively looking for anything SKS/7.62x39 related. PM me!

My experience with the 550B..
    I have replaced the toolhead locator pins with some screws. The toolheads are now threaded. I have opened the top holes in the press to allow the screws just barely pass through. This really wasn't much larger than the original pins. What this does for me, is it locks the toolhead in place so my OAL is consistant from the first round through, to the last round. Granted, this isn't a huge issue for most. I just didn't like the differences between the first and the last of a run.
    I align the powder safety rod, to be as nearly verticle as possible. Primer setup, this takes a bit of time. What I do, is loosen the two bolts on the primer assembly, hold the shellplate platform down compressing the spring on the primer cup, then tighten the screws while holding pressure on the primer cup. This centers it initially, I then will raise and lower the shellplate platform and watch/feel for any type of resistance or contact. Since doing this, I haven't had any flipped primers. (I also do quite a bit of hand priming too, because I can do that while watching a movie.)
    Don't bother with ordering just the toolheads, order the Deluxe Quick Change Assembly. It includes the powder measure,toolhead, and stand. (I use my 550 to load .223, 38/357, 45acp, 30 carbine, 30-30, and 30.06) It makes things really easy to be able to just switch toolheads, and verify powder charges. (especially if you hand prime your brass, then you don't need to mess with the primer feed)
    I love my 550B, and use it quite a bit.
    Also, if you have to stop mid run, leave the ram in the up position. It makes it more difficult to double charge a round if you do this.
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same

Boolit Buddy
    Set the bullet in the newly charged case before you advance the shell plate. This will stop powder from being thrown out when it advances to the next station. The dentent ball and spring are strong enough to bounce powder out of the charged case.

Boolit Buddy
    I think that you can flip the primers as you rotate the shellplate if you try to index said shell plate before you let the ram return to what I would call normal operating level. When you index the shell plate make sure that you have no pressure on your handle. If you have not allowed the shellplate to get to it's normal level you can catch the edge of the primer and cause grief.
    I would certainly take a flashlight and tooth brush or compressed air and clean the primer slide area just one more time.
    Also run a bore cleaning brush or bore snake thru your primer tubes to remove any trace of burrs or other corruption.
    Make sure that the small cotter pin on the primer catcher is straight so the primer catcher door swivel effortlessly.
    Google brian enos forums on 550's
    It will run perfectly if you do you part, or Dillon will fix, that woulb be my bet.
    Let us know what you find out

Quote Originally Posted by mulespurs View Post
    I think that you can flip the primers as you rotate the shellplate if you try to index said shell plate before you let the ram return to what I would call normal operating level. When you index the shell plate make sure that you have no pressure on your handle. If you have not allowed the shellplate to get to it's normal level you can catch the edge of the primer and cause grief.
    You deprime/size with the handle down, bring the ram down/handle up and push the handle forward and it primes the case, THEN you rotate the shellplate. There is NEVER a primer in the cup during the rotation of the shellplate.

I would give the priming system a good cleaning and try again. IF you didn't flip some over by accident while loading up the tube then it’s when the cup receives the primer.

Something’s to look for:

The feeder tube could be burgered up (the plastic tip) some look it over close.
    Primer tube isn't seated in the priming system and that would cause some issue.
    Also this might sound silly but make sure if you are using small primers that you have the small tube in the priming system.
    Just make sure everything is seated right, the proper primer tube is in place when you put it back together.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Master
    Because ALL off the handgun kabooms that I have ran into originated with someone using a progressive and most of those progressives were the 450 and 550 Dillons.

Using common sense and staying focused works fine until it doesn't. If you get interrupted or tired you can easily make a mistake and it only takes one to destroy a pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez Kelly View Post
    I load mouse fart 38 Special loads on my Dillon 550. Never had a problem. Never had a double charge. Never had any kind of problem with the ammo my 550s produce. Why would you say such a negative thing about the OP? Why would you think he would most likely mess up?

I think he'll do just fine. All he has to do is use common sense and stay focused.
    EDG

Boolit Master

Now I know what the ignore feature is for. EDG knows that the OP doesn't have proper safety habits...

I wish I was clairvoyant.

Ignore on!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Because ALL off the handgun kabooms that I have ran into originated with someone using a progressive and most of those progressives were the 450 and 550 Dillons.

Using common sense and staying focused works fine until it doesn't. If you get interrupted or tired you can easily make a mistake and it only takes one to destroy a pistol.
    This thread hit rock bottom. No press is going to cause anything. I have witnessed as a RSO two destructions - both were with single stages and a double charge of pistol powder in a military rifle. The problem? The operator. Your logic is faulty. I guess guns kill people by themselves. I guess alcohol and drugs are the responsible party for fatal vehicle accidents - not the operator.

Rock bottom. No one person to take responsiblity for quality control but lets blame equipment.

Stay tune next week for, "My decapping die removed all my primers in loaded ammunition when left by itself."

Where is the ignore button?

r1kk1

Boolit Buddy
    Caution soapbox:

Loading on a 550 involves manual indexing. If you do not index it (first requirement of a double charge) you will also put two empty casings in station 1, and you will put two projectiles in the case at station 3. The same argument carries over to guns kill people, no they don't, guns are machines as are cars as are Dillon 550's. The killer 550 has it fair share of threads here as does the Glock not being able to shoot lead. Hogg wash. Mark
    Last edited by NWFLYJ; 09-09-2013 at 10:23 PM.
    Vulcan 20MM = Accuracy by volume.

You'll have to excuse me because I'm new to this forum. Killer 550B's? I've had my 550 for 20 years, and it hasn't tried to kill me even once. What is the alleged problem?

Quote Originally Posted by NWFLYJ View Post
    Caution soapbox:

Loading on a 550 involves manual indexing. If you do not index it (first requirement of a double charge) you will also put two empty casings in station 1, and you will put two projectiles in the case at station 3. The same argument carries over to guns kill people, no they don't, guns are machines as are cars as are Dillon 550's. The killer 550 has it fair share of threads here as does the Glock not being able to shoot lead. Hogg wash. Mark

Boolit Buddy
    There is no such thing as a killer dillon 550, I was exaggerating. The alleged problem is the operator of a 550 blowing up guns. Mark
    Last edited by NWFLYJ; 09-09-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post

"Hand gun kabooms" caused by the "killer 550" :-\
    Last edited by NWFLYJ; 09-10-2013 at 01:06 AM.

Boolit Master
    No a press does not cause the problem but someone used to single stage equipment can easily double charge a case with a progressive. The OP asked for tips and that is most important tip I know.
    It makes no difference who you assign the blame to. You are talking about a mistake that can result in a permanent loss of a firearm and potential personal danger. By reloading the OP has already accepted responsibility for that. His question appears to be well intentioned to avoid problems.

There is nothing wrong with my logic but it appears that you need some help.
    Rock bottom - quality control as most people understand it is a joke. Quality control is appraisal after the fact. Quality control functions can also make mistakes just like any other manufacturing process. If your process and work habits are faulty you will produce bad product and some of it may get through appraisal after the fact. That includes double charges that can destroy a gun.

The truth - process control is the answer. Control the process correctly through a carefully planned sequence of events, tooling and good work habits and you will not make mistakes.

Process control is how real manufacturing is controlled. You can look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by r1kk1 View Post
    This thread hit rock bottom. No press is going to cause anything. I have witnessed as a RSO two destructions - both were with single stages and a double charge of pistol powder in a military rifle. The problem? The operator. Your logic is faulty. I guess guns kill people by themselves. I guess alcohol and drugs are the responsible party for fatal vehicle accidents - not the operator.

Rock bottom. No one person to take responsiblity for quality control but lets blame equipment.

Stay tune next week for, "My decapping die removed all my primers in loaded ammunition when left by itself."

Where is the ignore button?

r1kk1
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by warf73 View Post
    You deprime/size with the handle down, bring the ram down/handle up and push the handle forward and it primes the case, THEN you rotate the shellplate. There is NEVER a primer in the cup during the rotation of the shellplate.

I would give the priming system a good cleaning and try again. IF you didn't flip some over by accident while loading up the tube then it’s when the cup receives the primer.

Something’s to look for:

The feeder tube could be burgered up (the plastic tip) some look it over close.
    Primer tube isn't seated in the priming system and that would cause some issue.
    Also this might sound silly but make sure if you are using small primers that you have the small tube in the priming system.
    Just make sure everything is seated right, the proper primer tube is in place when you put it back together.
    Well, This is embarrassing - but hey, you gotta learn somehow!

I never changed over the larger primer tube once setting up the press for 40sw (SPP). DOH!! Running FLAWLESSLY now!
    Actively looking for anything SKS/7.62x39 related. PM me!

Boolit Buddy
    Good to here. Glad it is going good for you!

Are you letting go of the handle, and letting the press snap back into position? The jarring force could cause your primers to flip.

Thanks for all the tips everyone. Loaded a hundred or so real slow and taking my time. Started to get into the groove of things and noticed that I started to get primers upside down in the primer seating cup. I know for a fact I loaded all of them the proper way as I got a primer flip tray just for loading the pickup tubes. Any idea what could be causing this?

I never changed over the larger primer tube once setting up the press for 40sw (SPP). DOH!! Running FLAWLESSLY now!
    HEHE it happens, glad my tip helped you out.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Master

I did the same thing one time - I put a big "S" and "L" on the ends of the primer slide facing me with white paint.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast