Ballisti-CastGraf & SonsInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2StainLess Steel Media
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Help Identifying a Savage Rifle

  1. #1
    Boolit Master
    TheCelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NW Florida
    Posts
    724

    Help Identifying a Savage Rifle

    I bought a Savage 116 in .338 win mag with a 20" barrel. It is an older model with the flat back receiver and internal stagger feed magazine. It is stainless steel and does NOT have the accutrigger or sights.

    I have been unable to find ANY identifying history about this rifle. The closest I've seen is an Alaskan Guide gun but it is listed as being .375 H&H. The stock is pretty cheesy but looks functional. Anybody know anything about these rifles??? Are they accurate??

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Boolit Master timspawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    SW FL
    Posts
    334
    I have the Savage Hog Hunter in 338. It has 20" barrel like yours but it is center feed and has the accutrigger. I have only shot cast in it and I am very pleased.

  4. #4
    Boolit Master
    TheCelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NW Florida
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by kenyerian View Post
    Nope, the stock on this rifle is a rubbery black. The barrel is not fluted like that on nor does it have a brake. Gunsmith has it now to cut a new crown and Duracoat a darker matt finish (don't like bright stainless steel hunting guns) but I'll take a picture of it and post when I get it back.

  5. #5
    Boolit Master
    TheCelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NW Florida
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by timspawn View Post
    I have the Savage Hog Hunter in 338. It has 20" barrel like yours but it is center feed and has the accutrigger. I have only shot cast in it and I am very pleased.
    What boolit are you using??? I got a nice mold (341365) in A recent GB and will be trying it out soon!!!!

  6. #6
    Boolit Master timspawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    SW FL
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCelt View Post
    What boolit are you using??? I got a nice mold (341365) in A recent GB and will be trying it out soon!!!!
    I got them out of an estate so I dont know for sure but they look like the Lee C338-220-1R.

  7. #7
    Boolit Master

    BruceB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    nevada
    Posts
    3,526
    Obviously Savage has built several versions of the 116.

    Mine is a stainless .338 with 24" fluted barrel and the on-off muzzle brake. No Accu-trigger. A couple dozen cast-bullet loads SEIZED that brake immovably (in the "on" position, thankfully). I'm using only jacketed bullets for the current shooting, but even with the flimsy-appearing black plastic stock, this rifle out-shoots at least some of my varminters.... think sub-1/2" groups of three TSX 225s at 100 yards.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

    "The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

  8. #8
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCelt View Post
    I bought a Savage 116 in .338 win mag with a 20" barrel. It is an older model with the flat back receiver and internal stagger feed magazine. It is stainless steel and does NOT have the accutrigger or sights.

    I have been unable to find ANY identifying history about this rifle. The closest I've seen is an Alaskan Guide gun but it is listed as being .375 H&H. The stock is pretty cheesy but looks functional. Anybody know anything about these rifles??? Are they accurate??

    IMO you have an early 116 AK version, which didn't have the accu-trigger.


    .

  9. #9
    Boolit Master
    TheCelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NW Florida
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    IMO you have an early 116 AK version, which didn't have the accu-trigger.


    .
    Thanks Pietro, I think you are correct. Looks like they had models of the Alaskan Guide in .338 as well.

  10. #10
    Boolit Master
    TheCelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NW Florida
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Obviously Savage has built several versions of the 116.

    Mine is a stainless .338 with 24" fluted barrel and the on-off muzzle brake. No Accu-trigger. A couple dozen cast-bullet loads SEIZED that brake immovably (in the "on" position, thankfully). I'm using only jacketed bullets for the current shooting, but even with the flimsy-appearing black plastic stock, this rifle out-shoots at least some of my varminters.... think sub-1/2" groups of three TSX 225s at 100 yards.
    I'm happy to hear it is accurate even with the cheap stock. As soon as the scope rings come in I'll see what it does!

  11. #11
    Boolit Master timspawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    SW FL
    Posts
    334
    I shot these today at 100 yards with mine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0354.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	81334

  12. #12
    Boolit Master
    TheCelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NW Florida
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by timspawn View Post
    I shot these today at 100 yards with mine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0354.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	81334
    That is some good shooting!!!

  13. #13
    Boolit Master TCLouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Middle middle TN
    Posts
    3,863
    Lee C338 220 cast pretty hard (least mine were) sized 0.339 - .340" set long in front of 39.0 of IMR 3031 is a crackerjack load . . .

    At least it was out to 50 yards.

    One can use the Hornady 200 grain FP (33 Winchester coated bullet) with this load also.

    Somewhere in the upper 1800s as I remember it.
    When one must, one can

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check